Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

anyone work in fashion/retail in Dubai?

anyone work in fashion/retail in Dubai?

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Nellie1584 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone work in fashion/retail in Dubai?

just wondered if there is anyone out there who can share my frustrations at the way things work here

im feeling like ive gone back to square one with my career
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone work in fashion/retail in Dubai?

Yep I'm in the rag trade.

What's up?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Nellie1584 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi kittycat

i think the biggest issue is that i have literally gone back to doing so much admin compared to my previous job. the job title i was given here is by no means equivilent to the UK. Have you found that out here?

i feel like im at school most of the time; i have to account of my every movement. At first i thought that it was just me as i was new but its how they are with everyone.

its as though my work experience prior to being here means nothing
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nellie,

What role are you in can I ask? Are you working for a franchise brand or own brand?

For me I can't say I get dismissed at all, I have found the exact opposite,I have had several promotions out here.My biggest frustration is the number of meetings but that appears to be a regional thing. It does work differently here to back home, I'm head of my department so don't get monitored on my every movement but there is a bit of big brother is watching going on, but again I would say that is regional. Working from home is not an option here but for me was pretty normal in the UK.

It took me quite a while to settle in and I do thoroughly miss London and I have days where my head hurts from banging it on the desk but in other ways its very rewarding as well. I am always concerned how long is too long out here and whether I'll still be employable in the UK, but i stay in touch with all my old friends and contacts to make sure I'm still up to date with whats going on, make sure I read all the trade mags etc. Luckily I have a lot of international travel that keeps me in the loop.

If you want a rant PM me.

KC