British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is anyone here superstitious? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-here-superstitious-769801/)

thomas_fly1 Sep 27th 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Is anyone here superstitious?

I am not particularly superstitious but for fun my friends and I used to hit the roof of the car if you were running an orange light. I think it was just a silly thing to do rather than a superstition.

But when I went to Peru last month I noticed that these people are incredibly superstitious. A NOTE to those who are reading! Don't pass the salt to anyone, hand to hand; always place it back on the table in front of the person who asked for the salt so that they can pick it up. If you don't know this little piece of vital information you might just find yourself waiting for a long time until some tells you to put the salt back on the table! No one will take it front you because it is terribly bad luck!

The Andean people have also a unique religion based on a fusion or rituals, superstitions, Roman Catholic practices and some hidden symbolisms from the time that their religious was suppressed by the Spanish Invaders.

K Gun Sep 28th 2012 4:12 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10253308)
No! - she can justify it by listing the characteristics she identifies. She's a Taurus which means nothing to me but she found my mother difficult from about thirty seconds into their first meeting. She hadn't asked me her date of birth but she instinctively sensed she was also a Taurus (correct). They don't get on, apparently (Tauruses with Tauruses).

Please don't ask me to explain or justify it - I think it's creepy beyond belief - but I can swear to her accuracy!

I'm just not buying it

K Gun Sep 28th 2012 4:42 am

I'm not superstitious but I do have my rituals. I will only fly first class and I wont attend any sporting event unless i'm in the front row. I rarely go to bars anymore but when I did I always sat at the end of the bar with my back to a wall. I never sit in the back seat of cars and rarely drive anywhere unless i'm doing the driving. I don't like my picture taken and prefer to eat off of square plates.

The Dean Sep 28th 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by K Gun (Post 10303988)
I'm just not buying it

She would read your post about only flying first-class, and insisting on front-row seats at sporting events, and would quickly tell you what you are.......

OleJanx Sep 28th 2012 7:53 am

Originally Posted by K Gun (Post 10304009)
I'm not superstitious but I do have my rituals. I will only fly first class and I wont attend any sporting event unless i'm in the front row. I rarely go to bars anymore but when I did I always sat at the end of the bar with my back to a wall. I never sit in the back seat of cars and rarely drive anywhere unless i'm doing the driving. I don't like my picture taken and prefer to eat off of square plates.

You don't like having your photo taken? Why's that? Too much retribution after the lens is U/S and the owners are pissed at you?
I doubt you've ever flown first class, and as for plates, I'd be suprised if you've ever eaten from anything other the polystyrene boxes...
And won't go anywhere unless you're driving? Need friends, Bubba, first before they will get in a vehicle with you. Bet you either have a Dodge Ram or a Suburban- the Red neck transportayshun of choice.

The Dean Sep 30th 2012 5:14 am

You rejoin the Bored under a new name - just to reply to a post which was a reply to a post you made under a previous name....???

You are insane. And probably dangerous.

LaLaLayla Sep 30th 2012 5:26 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10253162)
However............. I'm convinced (against my better judgement) that signs of the zodiac, or 'star signs', do reflect characteristics and traits of behaviour.

Yes, me too. And I think you could argue a scientific basis for horoscopes, based upon when you were conceived/born.

That said, I do not believe in ghosts, UFOs, mediums, seeing the future, or anything like that.

LaLaLayla Sep 30th 2012 5:28 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10304151)
Bet you either have a Dodge Ram or a Suburban- the Red neck transportayshun of choice.

I would love to have a Dodge Ram :o

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 30th 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Golden Goat (Post 10306541)

I like PRIME young penis

you pervert.

LaLaLayla Sep 30th 2012 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Golden Goat (Post 10306563)
Does anyone want to see pictures of my wifes Cadilac STS, my Jeep Cherokees, my 455 HP Subaru, my 66 Corvette or my tractors?

Oddly enough, yes, I would actually :D

Boomhauer Sep 30th 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10306537)
I would love to have a Dodge Ram :o

Thats what I intend to get, a Dodge Ram crew cab dually with Cummins diesel, to pull my gooseneck.

seven seas Sep 30th 2012 11:37 am

I don't know these knew euphemisms....

ctfc Oct 1st 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10254222)
In addition to using the Chinese year-based system (eg Year of the Dragon), the Japanese also attribute charachter traits to blood type. Every Japanese person knows his or her blood type, and the characteristics that go with it. I'm A+, and like everything neat and ordered, which is one of the traits. Can't remember the others...

I'm A+ and completely scruffy and disorganised ergo it's bollox

Bahtatboy Oct 1st 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 10308530)
I'm A+ and completely scruffy and disorganised ergo it's bollox

But you're not Japanese....are you?

OleJanx Oct 1st 2012 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10308535)
But you're not Japanese....are you?

There is a marvellous book called The Blue Eyed Salaryman in which a European working for a Japanese company, after having a yearly medical was told he had an eye problem: Yep, the company's eye scanner wasn't used to blue eyes and registered a problem....