British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is anyone here superstitious? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/anyone-here-superstitious-769801/)

Boomhauer Aug 28th 2012 7:32 pm

Is anyone here superstitious?

I mean genuinely truly believe in superstitions and not just someone who goes along with it because they think it is harmless fun.

And in a related note, does anyone truly believe in horoscopes?

Kix Aug 28th 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Is anyone here superstitious?

No I'm not superstitious, but weirdly I get myself into positions I once dreamt about (no, not like that Millhouse, Scamp etal).

As for horoscopes. Total load of bollocks, if they're that good why doesn't mystic meg win the lottery every week?

Spugsy Aug 28th 2012 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10251292)
I mean genuinely truly believe in superstitions and not just someone who goes along with it because they think it is harmless fun.

And in a related note, does anyone truly believe in horoscopes?

If they are either than they are idiots.

hnd Aug 28th 2012 10:06 pm

Supersititious? Of course not - crosses fingers and touches wood

britexpat76 Aug 29th 2012 8:21 am

I salute Magpies and when I played football I was always 1st out and never put the ball in the net before a game.

RICH Aug 29th 2012 8:27 am

I totally agree. Some people here are superstitious.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 29th 2012 10:10 am

Nah.

Used to have little rituals but I don't think they are superstitious. More just a way of preparing for someting, like listening to the same few songs whilst getting changed for sports matches, not putting something on until the last moment.

Not superstitous but probably not normal.

Boomhauer Aug 29th 2012 10:14 am

Which makes me curious on level of superstition amongst different cultures.
I know South Asians are superstitious lot, but what about Emiratis , Filipinos, non Khaleeji Arabs?

mikewot Aug 29th 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10252335)
Used to have little rituals but I don't think they are superstitious. More just a way of preparing for someting, like listening to the same few songs whilst getting changed for sports matches, not putting something on until the last moment.
Not superstitous but probably not normal.

ROFL! Thats superstition in a nutshell. Did you also wear 'special pants' or socks until you lost, then you'd change them?

Boomhauer Aug 29th 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10252345)
ROFL! Thats superstition in a nutshell. Did you also wear 'special pants' or socks until you lost, then you'd change them?

Maybee he just had OCD:starsmile:

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 29th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10252345)

Nope.

Not sure it is, it's routine.

Like I put my trousers on after my pants, but before my socks and shoes and my shirt is always last to go on.

I don't count that as superstition.

mikewot Aug 29th 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10252349)
Not sure it is, it's routine.

Like I put my trousers on after my pants, but before my socks and shoes and my shirt is always last to go on.

I don't count that as superstition.

If you put the same clothes on its superstition, like listening to the same tracks which is what you stated :-) Sorry mate but you're superstitious :thumbsup:

BTW Shirt last on? Then you've got to unfasten your trousers to tuck it in. Unless you go Lebbo style and leave it hanging out ;-)

Meow Aug 29th 2012 10:26 am

Scamp's not superstitious; he's just got a touch of OCD!

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 29th 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10252357)
If you put the same clothes on its superstition, like listening to the same tracks which is what you stated :-) Sorry mate but you're superstitious :thumbsup:

BTW Shirt last on? Then you've got to unfasten your trousers to tuck it in. Unless you go Lebbo style and leave it hanging out ;-)

Meh. Same three or four tracks to get me to focus on the game isn't superstition.

It's superstition to think that if I wear these socks and don't wash them when we win, that I'll be lucky again next time.

Yeah, I don't do my trousers up. I just do the zip half way. My cock holds them up (it's that big you see).

Only rock the topless look while I'm tying my laces...

Miss Anne Thrope Aug 29th 2012 11:25 am

Presumably the question also applies to the major organised superstitions of mainly ancient and medieval origin with particularly ludicrous beliefs and rituals?