Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone else going to see Coldplay...

Anyone else going to see Coldplay...

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else going to see Coldplay...

So, how were Coldplay then? Was it well-organised or utter chaos??
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
So, how were Coldplay then? Was it well-organised or utter chaos??
The traffic across the causeway was a nightmare, but a lot of people chose to park up on the Corniche and walk, so not such an issue. Entry into the venue was fairly quick - I think we were in in under 3 minutes. Huge queues for beer as would be expected.

The concert itself was pretty good - starting around 10.40 and was one hit after the next. Stage show was really impressive and the secondary stage that jutted like a catwalk into the crowd added a great interactive element to the performance. A huge crowd there too - some 20,000 people I think.

My only criticism is the inelegant haste with which they closed up on the dot of midnight - not a single encore gave the impression that they were desperate to leave as soon as possible, which is a bit sad given their $2m performance fee. Rumours were that they were booked on the 2.30 am flight back to the UK and were rushing to make their helicopter transfer to the airport.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, they seemed desperate to get away. Parking was utter chaos. It took us nearly 2 hours to get out of the car park. We did not get home until 4.20 am. We made a slight detour picking up maid from her cousin's in Raha, but still... a very long night. Sober. Oh and I got a ****ing speeding fine, just to add insult to injury.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not a patch on their previous gig in March 2010. Too many idiots in the crowd (& this was the so-called fan pit) who were there as it was apparently the place to be seen rather than wanting to hear the band and who shouted at each other the whole time.

Stupid location and a nightmare to get away from. Friends in cars sat for two hours to get away and we ended up walking some five kilometers before we could get a cab to our hotel. I wouldn't go back to that venue again.

Overall disappointing, but was cheered by all the friendly families having picnics along the Corniche and in the parks. Was a really friendly atmosphere and Lebanese Flower was making fantastic shwarmas at 2.00am.

Still, Happy New Year!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. 4.20am???

Parking at Marina was never going to be a good idea. We walked down to a friend's flat and got there by 1am after a bit of dancing to the slightly rubbish DJ. Eventually fell out their front door about the same time as you made it out of the car park....
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Enough said. Like I posted earlier, if the concert had been at Yas Island, where the hotels are walking distance away, we may have gone.
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...nt-be-repeated
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

There are hotels near the venue (Hilton, Emirates Palace, the new Etihad Towers), however my tight-wad husband decided that we should drive rather than stay over, to save money. I moaned all the way home that we should have stayed in a hotel.

Honestly, my husband makes Lionheart look like the Last of the Big Spenders
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
There are hotels near the venue (Hilton, Emirates Palace, the new Etihad Towers), however my tight-wad husband decided that we should drive rather than stay over, to save money. I moaned all the way home that we should have stayed in a hotel.

Honestly, my husband makes Lionheart look like the Last of the Big Spenders
And you sound like you whinge like Shadya too............
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Enough said. Like I posted earlier, if the concert had been at Yas Island, where the hotels are walking distance away, we may have gone.
If it had been the Rolling Stones, I may have gone.............
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
If it had been the Rolling Stones, I may have gone.............
... or Elton John. Do you remember when SYB and I called you from the EJ concert so that you could hear it? Crazy times
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Meow
Not a patch on their previous gig in March 2010. Too many idiots in the crowd (& this was the so-called fan pit) who were there as it was apparently the place to be seen rather than wanting to hear the band and who shouted at each other the whole time.
!
I tend to find this problem at open mic nights, me generally being the problem..talking louder than sad man and his geetar..but at a large venue big rock band? They weren't playing loud enough.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I was also in the fan pit and everyone around me was fully into the band. The only annoying thing for me was those arses who insisted on putting their girlfriends on their shoulders, thus blocking the view for everyone behind them.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
I was also in the fan pit and everyone around me was fully into the band. The only annoying thing for me was those arses who insisted on putting their girlfriends on their shoulders, thus blocking the view for everyone behind them.
If somebody tried that with me, I would simply tell them to remove the offending arse from my view or I would get security to do it for me.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
it was there because its the start of the volvo ocean race and that is on the breakwater and not on yas island.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still in shock at the person standing near me who insisted on watching the whole concert through his ipad. Maybe it's the future...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.