Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Emirates Park Zoo?

Wikiposts

Anyone been to Emirates Park Zoo?

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Anyone been to Emirates Park Zoo?

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Pro picture taking folk are the same. Knowledge helps but the more you take the better chance you have got of taking a belter!

I took this in the mountain in RAK a few weeks ago on a Sony Digital thats about 5yrs old.
Is it a wide angle lens to get the broad spread?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is it a wide angle lens to get the broad spread?
Nope, just several pics taken side by side and then stitched together in a basic freeware photostitch program.

I'm no pro photographer and don't know if it would be considered as any good by the people in the know. I do like it tho!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love EPZ

Apart from the bear, that is a bit sad.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:25 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Some half decent equipment helps, but it's who is behind the lens that really makes the difference. I just have a basic Cannon SLR and also use a 55-250 lens and can take decent photos with that. I am just not interested in the technicalities, but am very aware of what might make an interesting photo, where the light is etc.

I have met people with super fancy equipment who take rubbish photos and the opposite too.
Meow, that 55-250 Lens is actually extremely good for the money. I have advised many people who wish to upgrade from the Canon kit lens to buy that.

The major reason that I buy Fast Glass (f2.8 or faster) is I hate flash with a passion and often shoot bands etc in clubs where flash is banned.

Scamp, if you want to understand more about the relationship between aperture (f number), shutter speed and ISO and how they relate to each other google the "triangle of exposure". This will help you understand what each lens is capable of and how it fits your photographic requirements.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed
Scamp, if you want to understand more about the relationship between aperture (f number), shutter speed and ISO and how they relate to each other google the "triangle of exposure". This will help you understand what each lens is capable of and how it fits your photographic requirements.
Thanks mate.

I also hate flash but 'night mode' or long-time-lens-open (whatever that's called) generally result in blurry to average shots.

I'll google and learn.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:54 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate.

I also hate flash but 'night mode' or long-time-lens-open (whatever that's called) generally result in blurry to average shots.

I'll google and learn.
Let me know when you are free for a discussion over beer one evening, happy to help anyone learn. (you will have to come to Marina end !!! )
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Let me know when you are free for a discussion over beer one evening, happy to help anyone learn. (you will have to come to Marina end !!! )
I got 'Digital SLR for Dummies' for Xmas but it's not massively helpful from the skim-read I've given it a few times.

Appreciate it, I will definitely take you up on that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:59 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate.

I'll google and learn.
If you are using a long exposure, you might want to try using a tripod, or at least resting the camera on something solid. Even a tiny shake from your hands can make that kind of pic blurry.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

If you are using a long exposure, you might want to try using a tripod, or at least resting the camera on something solid. Even a tiny shake from your hands can make that kind of pic blurry.
Yeah, I try to, but getting half-cut friends to stay still is never simple!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I love EPZ

Apart from the bear, that is a bit sad.
yeah, the bear does look a bit depressed.

We've been a couple of times aswell, it's a 5 minute drive from the house. My wee boy loves looking at the animals, especially the goats as you can give them some milk and the keepers/lids take them out of the enclosure.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:59 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I try to, but getting half-cut friends to stay still is never simple!
in that case increase your iso setting to a higher number. if its just pics of mates in a club quality isnt as important so the higher iso will give you the ability to shoot at a higher shutter speed without using flash or buying another faster lens.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
in that case increase your iso setting to a higher number. if its just pics of mates in a club quality isnt as important so the higher iso will give you the ability to shoot at a higher shutter speed without using flash or buying another faster lens.
Thanking you sir.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:10 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by shiva
Agree with this. The 600d has a very good (cropped) sensor which should produce usable images anywhere up to 3200iso. Keep your aperture as wide open as possible and notice how much faster you can get the shutter speed. if your lens has IS (image stabiliser) like Meows 55-250 you will get even better results.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Agree with this. The 600d has a very good (cropped) sensor which should produce usable images anywhere up to 3200iso. Keep your aperture as wide open as possible and notice how much faster you can get the shutter speed. if your lens has IS (image stabiliser) like Meows 55-250 you will get even better results.
I'm playing with this tonight.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Or a long lens. Even worse a "slow" (ie does not have a very wide maximum aperture) long lens, which is why Shed's F2.8 is so good. Scamp, you could try a fixed (ie non zoom) long lens--they tend to be "faster" (ie have a wider maximum aperture) and therefore allow more light in, in turn permitting a faster shutter speed for any given ISO speed. The optics tend to be better to, although I don't doubt that Shed's F2.8 has a great piece of glass. (That sounds disturbingly pervy...)

As to tripods and the like, Gorillapods are, IMHO, indispensible (unless you have a very heavy camera+lens). And they also double as the best-ever iPad stand--you can lay back on the sofa and twist them so that your iPad is supported on one knee, in your lap, on the arm of the sofa, your gf's decollete, or wherever...

Anyone been to Emirates Park Zoo?-gorilla.jpg

Anyone been to Emirates Park Zoo?-gorilla-2.jpg

Anyone been to Emirates Park Zoo?-gorilla-3.jpg