Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another Schoolchild Dies

Wikiposts

Another Schoolchild Dies

Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:47 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Schoolchild Dies

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
apparently there are no paediatric pathologists based in the UAE
Well what do you expect? Given UAE's marvellous record on Infant Mortality Rates!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
I read somewhere he had been off school for the previous 3 days to the incident which would I suppose have not made the teachers overly alert to the fact he didn't show up for class. Also when I read the article the other day it did cross my mind if he had been ill whether or not he was fully well and had maybe curled up and fell asleep on the bus (no excuse for not spotting him I know).
No, they issued a corrected statement to the effect that the spokesman for the school was wrong - "was given by a spokesman who was trying to gather information as quickly as possible. This piece of information was, at the time, unconfirmed. The statement added it had been verified by the teacher and supervisor and confirmed by the attendance register that the child was absent on April 22."

Three hours in a bus in the hot sun - poor Aatish stood no chance

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10209064.html
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:18 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that makes it even worse then when the school said he had been absent for 3 days previous Absolutely tragic
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Surely that makes it even worse then when the school said he had been absent for 3 days previous Absolutely tragic
Yes it does, the school was making a feeble excuse in the first instance...
Old May 1st 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default School held responsible for child's death...

From The Gulf News...

The Abu Dhabi Educational Zone (ADEZ) report which found that serious lapses on the part of a school caused the death of a four-year-old child on a school bus will be referred to the legal department of the Ministry of Education, a senior official told Gulf News.

"A three-member committee constituted by the ADEZ to investigate the death of the child, found that the Merryland Kindergarten on Muroor Road in Abu Dhabi did not follow the mandatory rules issued by the Ministry of Education for the safety and security of children," said Mohammad Salem Al Daheri, Director of Abu Dhabi Educational Zone.

Aatish Shabin, was found dead last Thursday, he had been left locked inside his school bus in the morning for about three hours.

A supervisor from the school should have checked the bus, but it was not done, the committee found.

"Moreover, if a child does not arrive at school, school staff have to inform the parents in the morning, within 15 minutes of taking attendance", said Al Daheri.

If the school had informed the parents, Aatish's life would have been saved, he added.

The committee found serious negligence on the part of the driver.

"He had to thoroughly check the bus before closing the doors."

After ensuring that no children are left behind, the driver had to put a board behind the bus stating that 'it is empty'.

Such measures were not followed in this case, said the official.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Education/10209522.html
Old May 1st 2008, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School held responsible for child's death...

Originally Posted by IndieG
From The Gulf News...

The Abu Dhabi Educational Zone (ADEZ) report which found that serious lapses on the part of a school caused the death of a four-year-old child on a school bus will be referred to the legal department of the Ministry of Education, a senior official told Gulf News.

"A three-member committee constituted by the ADEZ to investigate the death of the child, found that the Merryland Kindergarten on Muroor Road in Abu Dhabi did not follow the mandatory rules issued by the Ministry of Education for the safety and security of children," said Mohammad Salem Al Daheri, Director of Abu Dhabi Educational Zone.

Aatish Shabin, was found dead last Thursday, he had been left locked inside his school bus in the morning for about three hours.

A supervisor from the school should have checked the bus, but it was not done, the committee found.

"Moreover, if a child does not arrive at school, school staff have to inform the parents in the morning, within 15 minutes of taking attendance", said Al Daheri.

If the school had informed the parents, Aatish's life would have been saved, he added.

The committee found serious negligence on the part of the driver.

"He had to thoroughly check the bus before closing the doors."

After ensuring that no children are left behind, the driver had to put a board behind the bus stating that 'it is empty'.

Such measures were not followed in this case, said the official.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Education/10209522.html
too sad, can you imagine what those poor parents are going through...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2008, 4:32 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
too sad, can you imagine what those poor parents are going through...

MM, xx
it just doesn't bare thinking about, if you don't send one of your's in and don't ring in until later do they contact you? My school has never contacted me when Mitten hasn't gone in. I ring in but not at 8 am
Old May 1st 2008, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

it just doesn't bare thinking about, if you don't send one of your's in and don't ring in until later do they contact you? My school has never contacted me when Mitten hasn't gone in. I ring in but not at 8 am
i don't know about school, C hasn't been off...nursery defo don't contact me...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2008, 4:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know about school, C hasn't been off...nursery defo don't contact me...

MM, xx
saying that Mitten doesn't go on the bus so maybe it would only apply to the kids being bussed in?
Old May 1st 2008, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

saying that Mitten doesn't go on the bus so maybe it would only apply to the kids being bussed in?
maybe...you think the driver would have to do some sort of register and handover thing every day saying who was on the bus...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2008, 4:43 pm
Concierge

maybe...you think the driver would have to do some sort of register and handover thing every day saying who was on the bus...

MM, xx

yes you would think so but obviously it isn't happening in AD? How sad, makes you realise who lucky we are even when the do drive us round the bend.
Old May 1st 2008, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes you would think so but obviously it isn't happening in AD? How sad, makes you realise who lucky we are even when the do drive us round the bend.
oh god i know...i always feel really bad when i hear things like this and i've just had a massive go at them cos they are getting on my nerves...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2008, 5:11 pm
Concierge

oh god i know...i always feel really bad when i hear things like this and i've just had a massive go at them cos they are getting on my nerves...

MM, xx

I had living room done out last week, the curtains lasted 7 days before she pulled one of down clean of the pole!!!
Old May 1st 2008, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had living room done out last week, the curtains lasted 7 days before she pulled one of down clean of the pole!!!
little buggers, aren't they...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2008, 5:16 pm
Concierge

little buggers, aren't they...

MM, xx
that is an understatement What age can you board them