Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another Schoolchild Dies

Wikiposts

Another Schoolchild Dies

Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:15 am
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another Schoolchild Dies

terrible tradegy. The whole school bus system needs sorting. Everyday I witness speeding school buses, especially from the smaller private schools. Kids are standing up and mucking about while the bus is moving. Lots of Bald tires and of course the famous bars across the windows. If the bus is on its side in an accident, god knows how the kids would be able to get out! I blame the schools management, they all want to get the job done the cheapest way and safety is at the bottom of the list.
I have been here for 20 years.....have lost count of the number of incidents related to these buses and the innocent kids they have killed.....
The attendant on this bus needs to be hung drawn and quartered.
He obviously wasnt very attentative.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Its difficult for a school to contact parents every time a child is not at school.
I bet there a numerous occasions where parents keep their kids of school for a day without informing the school.
It was that bloody school's responsibility I am feeling really sad for that family's tragic loss and probably more angry because my child is around the same age and also used a school bus for 2-3 days

On the rare occasion that I forget to inform the school when one of my kids is sick and at home, I ALWAYS get a call from the school nurse to confirm whether my child is at home. One of them doesn't even use the school bus.

Sorry, but school registration and attendance should be standard procedure at any school whether or not the child uses a school bus. The school must follow up when a child is absent and has not been contacted by the parent.

Last edited by IndieG; Apr 27th 2008 at 3:05 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

this is so sad...blaming anyone isn't going to help the parents though...but it is extraordinary that no one spotted the child on the bus...

MM, xx
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Its difficult for a school to contact parents every time a child is not at school.
I bet there a numerous occasions where parents keep their kids of school for a day without informing the school.
Inse

British School Al Khubeirat with around 1700 pupils calls every parent if the child not at school, new policy that started this academic year
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

having now seen the article and that the school has not outsourced its transport as much as does not provide transport at all, then yes it is hard to blame the school.

However the school should have checked that the companies it recommends do have the correct systems in place. In England they would probably not have any criminal liability but would face the possibility of civil liability if they had not properly checked the service provided by the transport companies they had recommended.
But the schools shouldnt outsource this, all schools should have their own buses.

I took my son off the bus years ago as the behaviour of the kids on the bus was dangerous and the bus drivers employed by the bus company were outrageous, dropping off kids at the easiest point for them and not the childs home
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
But the schools shouldnt outsource this, all schools should have their own buses.

I took my son off the bus years ago as the behaviour of the kids on the bus was dangerous and the bus drivers employed by the bus company were outrageous, dropping off kids at the easiest point for them and not the childs home
I don't see any problem in Schools sub-contracting their busing as long as its strictly controlled. thats clearly the problem.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Inse

British School Al Khubeirat with around 1700 pupils calls every parent if the child not at school, new policy that started this academic year
thats refreshing to know...i mean, its not as if a 4 YO is going to do a bunk is it?...the parents must be informed of absentees.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:59 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
thats refreshing to know...i mean, its not as if a 4 YO is going to do a bunk is it?...the parents must be informed of absentees.

Tis too too sad to think of that poor wee lad's last hours-bless him.
AA was there not a murder in Central Scotland recently(Rory Blackhill??)-where had the school alerted his parents about his (most unusual) non attendance-the boy may have been found sooner.
On a more cynical note- a lot of parents in UAE wouldn't know if kids at school-tell it to the maid.

It is a credit to that school Annacarna mentions-personally I think where schools use 'British' as a selling feature then this should not only apply to curricula.People buying into'British' schools should be able to rely on British standard of duty of care, Health & Safety, etc as part of the package
ditto for other nationalities with H&S Code ......just my thoughts.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable.....

Boy's death blamed on unidentified illness
Driver released from custody on bail; youth to be buried in India

Aatish Sreedharan, the three-yearold boy who died after being left in the back of a school bus for more than three hours, suffered a “cardiorespiratory arrest” caused by an unidentified “ illness”, police said yesterday. Police said that no autopsy had been performed, and that the illness and not heat exhaustion or suffocation had caused Aatish’s death on Thursday afternoon. “No physical factor contributed to his death,” said Yasser al Wadi, a spokesman for Abu Dhabi Police. “His death was not caused by confinement.” Aatish, who had been attending the Merryland Kindergarten in Abu Dhabi, was found in the back of the vehicle more than three hours after he should have been dropped off at school. The bus driver who found him said he was unresponsive, and the boy was pronounced dead on arrival at Sheikh Khalifa Medical City. Because of a family request, no autopsy was performed. His cause of death was listed as “ cardiorespiratory arrest for an unknown reason”. As a result of the findings, the driver of the bus was released from custody on bail. Police also called off their hunt for a second man, whose job was to help children on and off the bus, who had disappeared.

(Full text - today's National....)
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:27 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Unbelievable.....

Boy's death blamed on unidentified illness
Driver released from custody on bail; youth to be buried in India

Aatish Sreedharan, the three-yearold boy who died after being left in the back of a school bus for more than three hours, suffered a “cardiorespiratory arrest” caused by an unidentified “ illness”, police said yesterday. Police said that no autopsy had been performed, and that the illness and not heat exhaustion or suffocation had caused Aatish’s death on Thursday afternoon. “No physical factor contributed to his death,” said Yasser al Wadi, a spokesman for Abu Dhabi Police. “His death was not caused by confinement.” Aatish, who had been attending the Merryland Kindergarten in Abu Dhabi, was found in the back of the vehicle more than three hours after he should have been dropped off at school. The bus driver who found him said he was unresponsive, and the boy was pronounced dead on arrival at Sheikh Khalifa Medical City. Because of a family request, no autopsy was performed. His cause of death was listed as “ cardiorespiratory arrest for an unknown reason”. As a result of the findings, the driver of the bus was released from custody on bail. Police also called off their hunt for a second man, whose job was to help children on and off the bus, who had disappeared.

(Full text - today's National....)

No FAI, Post Mortem or Public Health follow up????He had only been in AD from India for one month-

Sometimes I m so happy I am a few sandwiches shorta the picnic-much easier than trying to understand or see the reasoning in some things........
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
No FAI, Post Mortem or Public Health follow up????He had only been in AD from India for one month-

Sometimes I m so happy I am a few sandwiches shorta the picnic-much easier than trying to understand or see the reasoning in some things........
Apparently the parents did not want a post mortem.... that's understandable, but to drop the case????? Are they hoping everyone's just going to forget?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:39 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the parents did not want a post mortem.... that's understandable, but to drop the case????? Are they hoping everyone's just going to forget?
I can sort of understand it...maybe it's not about forgetting, but about moving on...
(and yes, I am aware that this way the buscompanies are not really forced to get their act together etc...
when our daughter died, we could have sued the doctor that saw her an hour before and said it was just a cold....but we didn't)
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:40 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:49 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What if cause of death was a disease which could be identified at PM-risk factor /Preventative....siblings???? other family members????
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:50 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
What if cause of death was a disease which could be identified at PM-risk factor /Preventative....siblings???? other family members????
that sort of logic maybe doesn't play a part in how they are feeling right now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.