Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another one up in smoke

Another one up in smoke

Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another one up in smoke

When will they do something about the dangerous cladding in buildings here?

Fire hits Dubai building | GulfNews.com
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one up in smoke

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
When will they do something about the dangerous cladding in buildings here?

Fire hits Dubai building | GulfNews.com
My building has flammable cladding. It was completed in 2015.

I live on the first floor and have two main exit routes and I could climb out if needed. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Unfortunately one of the girls working with my Mrs lost everything in this fire.

I am genuinely thinking about looking at something more sensible (like Millhouse) on a low floor etc.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Advice from a very experienced security advisor: when staying in a hotel in a risk area, choose floors 3-5. High enough to be safe from a bomb blast in the lobby, low enough for fire engine ladders to reach you.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Advice from a very experienced security advisor: when staying in a hotel in a risk area, choose floors 3-5. High enough to be safe from a bomb blast in the lobby, low enough for fire engine ladders to reach you.
I was given the same advice.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Unfortunately one of the girls working with my Mrs lost everything in this fire.
A rice cooker and a blanket?
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Ouch!
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Probably, and everything else she owned. Pretty shit situation.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:25 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

My building has a dodgy alarm system which used to go off without any reason at completely random times, so the poor security guys would be running to the console everytime to cancel it and then call the corresponding flat number shown on the console to find out if the people in that flat were alive or not. Only to find out that its either a. the chinese cooking with zero ***ks given about ventilation or b. the indians burning their stuff again with zero ***ks given about ventilation. I dont care if that sounds racist because it isnt. Its a fact of life! You dont get complains about smoke from ANY other nationality other than those 2 types.

It got so bad that in the past 3 years we stopped caring about it unless it went of for like more than 3 minutes then people would slowly start shuffling out wondering why the security cant turn the alarms off. The building is owned by one of the Sheikhs so the civil defense guys coming in for checkups really cant do diddly about the alarm system being faulty all the time and the building management is a bunch of money sucking commission eating bungholios who wouldnt get anything done unless they got paid under the table for it so yeah, the alarm system is not getting fixed. And to top all of that off, now they have just turned off the system completely, so NOW if there is a fire, people will die surely. I am just glad I am on the 2nd floor. Which reminds me, I had to buy a rope ladder!
ok rant over
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Ours went off once but was kids smashing alarms.

Then went off again in the middle of the night. Most people evacuated, obviously using the lifts and it turned out there was an actual fire in an apartment. Some bloke fell asleep and left candles by curtains and they caught fire. He was taken out of the building by rozzers and firemen. The worrying thing was that nobody knew what was going on, the security blokes ended up being shouted at by people just telling them to turn it off so they could go back to bed.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone who has seen Towering Inferno live in a tower block?

There seem to have been a few fires in the last couple of years and it's usually the lower paid/worse off that lose out as they won't have contents insurance or the means to replace items. Rather less local media coverage of this fire than the one in The Marina that affected Westerners too. Life isn't fair.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
Price, I assume. Not all can all afford to live in ivory villas.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow

There seem to have been a few fires in the last couple of years and it's usually the lower paid/worse off that lose out as they won't have contents insurance or the means to replace items. Rather less local media coverage of this fire than the one in The Marina that affected Westerners too. Life isn't fair.
Basically this is why I don't live in a villa;

But, I'm starting to think maybe it's not a bad idea to consider it. We need another bedroom really and it would be nice to have somewhere to BBQ.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:34 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

There are townhouses. I have lived in one for 4 years, very comfortable and nothing like the termite mounds in JLT or Marina.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:09 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
...it would be nice to have somewhere to BBQ.
Have one on your balcony, what could possibly go wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.