Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Amazon says no to Souq.com

Amazon says no to Souq.com

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 4:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Amazon says no to Souq.com

Originally Posted by flood2
Great news. I'm sure their checking of sellers will be of a greater standard than what I assume is nothing now.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse hasn't responded yet. Is he with the models and bottles?

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Millhouse,

Are you a billionaire now?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse hasn't responded yet. Is he with the models and bottles?
too much busy
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was a bit like that last night to be honest, but today has been easy.

Then again, the US isn't awake yet - the deal is being driven from New York.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well it was a bit like that last night to be honest, but today has been easy.

Then again, the US isn't awake yet - the deal is being driven from New York.
Handing over the hateful Americans was the best thing I ever did. More so because I gave it to my boss who has since found out what a horrid bunch they are for us.

The dreaded 16:00 DXB onwards in Dubai when the NYC crowd are commuting and emailing....
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Handing over the hateful Americans was the best thing I ever did. More so because I gave it to my boss who has since found out what a horrid bunch they are for us.

The dreaded 16:00 DXB onwards in Dubai when the NYC crowd are commuting and emailing....
exactly. I pretty much refuse to get drawn into emails sent from trains.

One guy likes to call me for a chat as he walks to work. Just what I need at 5.30pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:55 am
Account Closed

One guy likes to call me for a chat as he walks to work. Just what I need at 5.30pm.

That would kill me.

My sister insists on ringing me occasionally from her car....with her latest Groupon £6 clip on hands-free kit. All I can hear is the road and a mumble. Total waste of time but obviously I persevere because it makes her happy.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would kill me.

My sister insists on ringing me occasionally from her car....with her latest Groupon £6 clip on hands-free kit. All I can hear is the road and a mumble. Total waste of time but obviously I persevere because it makes her happy.
He's stored in my phone as needy. At least 2 calls a day... And several more i don't answer.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

He's stored in my phone as needy. At least 2 calls a day... And several more i don't answer.
Hang on. I ring you twice a day......
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:33 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on. I ring you twice a day......
yeah you are saved in his phone as 'Speedy'...I wonder why?
Old Mar 24th 2017, 3:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I had a boss like that who used his commute home to call and go through stuff, it started as just a few minutes of some quick items but quickly escalated into him unburdening himself of whatever stuff had gone on during the day.

After about a week of that, I switched off the work mobile and left it in the office every evening I was becoming his bloody psychiatrist
Old Mar 25th 2017, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

And it appears EMAAR have bid a further $220 million?

Why?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Theory is because Emaar is the holder of very valuable retail real estate and expats in Dubai are a 'trapped' market, the dangers of Amazon is that it opens up a huge access to affordable goods (cheaper than at Dubai Mall).

So they want to buy Souq to block Amazon from entry into the ME market, to keep their retail prices as high as possible, to justify keeping mall rents as high as possible.

Or so I'm told. It makes sense, but expats have been buying from Amazon and shipping to the UAE for a long time already.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
And it appears EMAAR have bid a further $220 million?

Why?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Theory is because Emaar is the holder of very valuable retail real estate and expats in Dubai are a 'trapped' market, the dangers of Amazon is that it opens up a huge access to affordable goods (cheaper than at Dubai Mall).

So they want to buy Souq to block Amazon from entry into the ME market, to keep their retail prices as high as possible, to justify keeping mall rents as high as possible.

Or so I'm told. It makes sense, but expats have been buying from Amazon and shipping to the UAE for a long time already.
Emaar is owned by Alabbar. Alabbar is behind noon.com - the eCommerce startup to end all eCommerce startups... that's three months behind its launch schedule and going through a staffing restructuring.

Why build when you can't and can buy would be another way of looking at it.

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 26th 2017 at 11:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.