British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Alcohol Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/alcohol-licence-887764/)

Meow Nov 23rd 2016 9:52 am

Re: Alcohol Licence

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12112305)
Maybe I should change my "Hit 16's" strapline. It relates to blackjack. Honest. :unsure:

I hadn't even noticed that!

Gambling!! :ohmy::ohmy: ;)

Meow Nov 23rd 2016 9:54 am

Originally Posted by The Coon (Post 12112313)
Well I am Black, and I didn't know it was racist. Just did a quick google all i come up with

1) It's short for a Raccoon
2) It's the nickname of a comic superhero who is 8 years old.

I thought it was witty and purely innocent.

Well, here is a questions fill the gaps

< Gone ! >

Well that's lovely, calling me a racist now? I simply questioned your user name as there was a time in the UK when that was a known racial epithet and I was surprised to see the term used as a user name on a British group.

mission Nov 23rd 2016 10:17 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12112322)
You are joking yeah ?

no I am not...it's a genuine question?

Inselaffen Nov 23rd 2016 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12112337)
no I am not...it's a genuine question?

Coon is a rather old-fashioned racist term for black people. Although I'm sure in the 70's and 80's it would have been used to insult Indians/Pakistani's etc. Think our nice cuddly racists have moved on to other terms by now. Disgusting whoever it is used to insult.

but on the point of racism, isn't racist to use the term Black and Ethnic Minority as is so often used in the UK. Surely that is discriminating against non-black ethnic minorities in the UK. Why do Black people get singled out in this definition? After all Indians/Pakistanis make up a higher proportion of the British population than Black people.

Bahtatboy Nov 23rd 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12112327)
I hadn't even noticed that!

Gambling!! :ohmy::ohmy: ;)

Certainly not! Statistics and empirical-observational data as applied to a discrete set of possible outcomes.

IKnowNothing Nov 23rd 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12112350)
Coon is a rather old-fashioned racist term for black people. Although I'm sure in the 70's and 80's it would have been used to insult Indians/Pakistani's etc. Think our nice cuddly racists have moved on to other terms by now. Disgusting whoever it is used to insult.

but on the point of racism, isn't racist to use the term Black and Ethnic Minority as is so often used in the UK. Surely that is discriminating against non-black ethnic minorities in the UK. Why do Black people get singled out in this definition? After all Indians/Pakistanis make up a higher proportion of the British population than Black people.

NSFW

Brilliant film

mission Nov 23rd 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12112350)

Thanks INSELY....for some reason I thought it was a derogatory name calling for those from the far east ie Chinese, Vietnamese etc

jam25mack Nov 23rd 2016 11:10 am

Originally Posted by The Coon (Post 12112313)
Well I am Black.

Quality. :rofl::rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 23rd 2016 11:59 am

I'm not even 30 and I know coon is offensive to some if used in a certain way.

Still, there's a chance with a username so bold it may be a returning 'member' ?

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 23rd 2016 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12112394)

Got it on DVD, fantastic film. Especially the Black Lace scene! Used to fancy Bob like mad :lol:

I've also got the book.
There's a part called A State Affair about the author, she had a terrible life which ended too soon.

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 23rd 2016 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12112477)
I'm not even 30 and I know coon is offensive to some if used in a certain way.

Still, there's a chance with a username so bold it may be a returning 'member' ?

I remember it been offensive in the 80s.
There's a breed of cats called maine coon and the Australians still sell Coon Cheese, apparently.

Username snipped Nov 23rd 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12112498)
I remember it been offensive in the 80s.
There's a breed of cats called maine coon and the Australians still sell Coon Cheese, apparently.

I was unaware of this, you learn something new everyday. Though words change and so do the connotation. For examples the word basket case is typically used today to refer to either a country or organisation with severe financial difficulties or a ‘person or thing regarded as useless or unable to cope’ (think of Green Day’s canonical pop-punk tune), but actually the term originally referred to a person, usually a soldier from World War I, who has lost all four limbs (basically a nugget). The basket in this sense refers to the basket that the person would need to be carried around in. In this sense, the word is considered very offensive.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 23rd 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by The Coon (Post 12112523)
(basically a nugget).

Genuinely laughed out loud at this.

IKnowNothing Nov 23rd 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12112485)
Got it on DVD, fantastic film. Especially the Black Lace scene! Used to fancy Bob like mad :lol:

I've also got the book.
There's a part called A State Affair about the author, she had a terrible life which ended too soon.

"Ah thought ah were greaeaeat".....

Bahtatboy Nov 23rd 2016 12:53 pm

1 Attachment(s)
My Maine Coon

Attachment 126257