British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Alcohol Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/alcohol-licence-887764/)

Dubaiexile Nov 22nd 2016 6:53 am

Alcohol Licence

Just reading an article in 7 days re the Tourists facing Sex Charges! One item that did stand out and is quite concerning is the new rules on drinking without a Alcohol Licence, article as follows;

"Drinking alcohol without a licence without a licence is an offence, but a person would not be prosecuted unless they committed an aggravating offense, such as sex outside of wedlock in this case.

Until last month, the maximum penalty for consuming alcohol without a licence was a AED2000.00 fine and/or a month in jail in rare cases, if a judge deemed it necessary.

This was raised to a maximum of AED10,000.00 and 6 months in jail, meaning the Judge no longer has the discretion not to jail the offender"

This was quoted from the article, and if correct is quite a scary thought!!!

jam25mack Nov 22nd 2016 7:00 am

Re: Alcohol Licence

Scary thoughts indeed.

Got my first licence last month. It takes the fun out of boozing! Similar to going out after you turned 18 and you know you are going to get served.

Inselaffen Nov 22nd 2016 7:12 am

I read that as well. time to get the licence me thinks

jam25mack Nov 22nd 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12111265)
I read that as well. time to get the licence me thinks

Funnily enough, they just so happened to put the cost up 100 dibs from 170 to 270 dibs..... Well July, but thats close enough.

Inselaffen Nov 22nd 2016 7:20 am

if anyone wants to get their licence A&E have a groupon voucher at the moment. reduces costs from 270 to 149

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 22nd 2016 7:36 am

I can't get one. :(

Dubaiexile Nov 22nd 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12111280)

Why????

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 22nd 2016 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12111273)
if anyone wants to get their licence A&E have a groupon voucher at the moment. reduces costs from 270 to 149

Bugger :(
I bought a voucher from Cobone for 169 dibs, never looked on Groupon, still a good saving though. I was going to buy one for my better half but they're only valid for new applications, not renewals.

I'm crossing my fingers til it gets approved. My husband's first application got rejected because the system said he was muslim. The Emirati PRO wasn't happy at all and got it sorted sharpish!

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 22nd 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12111286)
Why????

My name isn't on the tenancy contract.

Inselaffen Nov 22nd 2016 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12111293)
Bugger :(
I bought a voucher from Cobone for 169 dibs, never looked on Groupon, still a good saving though. I was going to buy one for my better half but they're only valid for new applications, not renewals.

I'm crossing my fingers til it gets approved. My husband's first application got rejected because the system said he was muslim. The Emirati PRO wasn't happy at all and got it sorted sharpish!

I may have a voucher for sale then :) putting mine in as a new application. mine expired long ago, was under a different company and I haven't go a clue where the card is for the number.

got a second voucher for the Mrs. She never had a licence.

Meow Nov 22nd 2016 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12111298)

Nor is mine and it is the only time in over 10 years that my husband has had to give permission for me to do something as he had to sign an authority form.

co durham boy Nov 22nd 2016 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12111298)

Nor is mine but I've got one

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 22nd 2016 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12111312)
Nor is mine and it is the only time in over 10 years that my husband has had to give permission for me to do something as he had to sign an authority form.

Me too. Because I'm sponsored by my husband (basically I'm his biatch) I had to give the following...
  • Passport photo
  • Application form with my employer's stamp
  • Copy of my passport and visa
  • Copy of husband's passport and visa
  • NOC from husband
  • Copy of tenancy contract (in husband's name, not mine BTW)
  • Labour contract (after getting clarification from the fifth person I spoke to at MMI, only freezone employees can give a salary certificate)

If you have a voucher, they might ask for the cash. They did when I went, they didn't realise that I'd already paid it to get the voucher in the first place :rolleyes:

I didn't know this, but once they give you the slip of paper after submitting the docs, this can be used as a temporary licence until you get your card.

mission Nov 22nd 2016 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12111280)

me neither
am a muzzy

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 22nd 2016 9:01 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12111337)
me neither
am a muzzy

I was tempted to answer "N/A" but knew I wouldn't get anywhere putting that.