Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Admiral Sandy Woodward - RIP

Admiral Sandy Woodward - RIP

Old Aug 7th 2013, 12:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Admiral Sandy Woodward - RIP

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I know it's not popular to say so but I sincerely think we should have invaded Argentina installed a governor - the only way to stop them teaching their children lies about the Falklands and prevent another war over the islands in the future.

The Islanders decisively voted to remain British and it was ignored by the Argies - we should tell them we're pointing a nuke at their capital and will make them pay dearly if they don't renounce their false claims on our land...

...just a thought

N.
I take it you eschewed one of the world's 100 breakfasts this morning, and instead had a quarter of a raw cow.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:52 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Admiral Sandy Woodward - RIP

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Command decisions are never easy. Must be hard having to live with them knowing sometimes people die because of decisions you make, even when the big picture demands it we're still talking about lives.

Still, he got the job done and should be rightfully commended. If that was 40 years prior we'd have probably carpet bombed Buenos Aires for a week and invaded them after re-taking the islands...we were quite measured in our response given it was an unprovoked invasion of our territory.

And yesterday that harpy of a leader the Argies have was whining at the UN about Islands Britons lived on before Argentina was a state.

N.
Command decisions are never easy Norm, agree but most commanders make difficult decisions based on sage advice from the experts around. My understanding (and not from reading books or the web) was that many ships captains had aired their concern and offered alternatives to him. Especially due to the proximity these ships were to the Islands. Had, as advised these ships been allowed to move further out to high seas and away from the islands, the chances of sea dart success and sea wolf (on the broadsword) as a close range back up would have been immense.

These ships had known weaknesses, we knew it and so did the argies. Coventry need not have been sacrificed. She could have provided the same air defence from a better defensive position.

Still, it did make the next generation fire control radars a lot better. As an ex EW and Radar artifice I could bore you with the technology but it's now outdated and likely still classified.

Anyway, I respect any CO that makes a decision that ultimately is going to cause deaths to his own side. He should though have been less pig headed and taken some of the advice from his captains and admirals on board.