Abu Dhabi then....

Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:06 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Abu Dhabi then....

....So as most of you know I'm currently unemployed, visa is still open, off on holiday for 2 weeks to Sri Lanka tonight but,

just had word of a good job, AED 20k a month (good for what I do), working for a government funded high quality magazine doing all the artwork and design,

but its in Abu Dhabi - now I've never actually been there yet, but if I can't get a job in the next few months I'm going to be fûcked, although all my mates and footy lot are here, but maybe a year in AD would be alreet.

Hmmmmm - what to do? I hear AD rents are much higher than Dubai - is this the case?

Any advice would be reet canny like pets....
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi then....

AD at the moment is horrendous for rent etc. Most property (if not all) is owned by locals and rents are kept artificially high. If a local has a mortgage on an investment property and it is empty then his payments are frozen, so no real pressure for them to accept lower rents. They will leave hordes of property empty rather then let rent levels drop.

Currently in a 3 bed company provided apartment, not on the corniche but reasonable location on island. If I wanted to rent it myself it would cost me AED320k, similar type of apartment in the Marina would probably be 150k.

You can live off island for cheaper but there is bugger all there and taxis can be a pain if you want to go into town on the piss. Depending on where you will be working in AD, might be worth commuting from Dubai.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

why don't you commute to start...or otherwise mrs spugsy is going to have to commute unless she can work in ad too?...at least you'd see whether you like the place and the job...sure you could get a deal with a driver...

MM, xx
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Take it Spugsy. AD is all reet and only a spit away from Dubs. No need to move from where you are...oh I forgot you don't drive. Maybe a car pooling arrangement would be suitable.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:35 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Take it Spugsy. AD is all reet and only a spit away from Dubs. No need to move from where you are...oh I forgot you don't drive. Maybe a car pooling arrangement would be suitable.
well its something to look into anyway....thanks all.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:14 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
....So as most of you know I'm currently unemployed, visa is still open, off on holiday for 2 weeks to Sri Lanka tonight but,

just had word of a good job, AED 20k a month (good for what I do), working for a government funded high quality magazine doing all the artwork and design,

but its in Abu Dhabi - now I've never actually been there yet, but if I can't get a job in the next few months I'm going to be fûcked, although all my mates and footy lot are here, but maybe a year in AD would be alreet.

Hmmmmm - what to do? I hear AD rents are much higher than Dubai - is this the case?

Any advice would be reet canny like pets....

I think you've been given a hard crack at the ball since you arrived Spugs but you are still here.....
In your profession w.o the back up of a Degree which they all wet themselves over in this part of the world, you must have a little extra.
We,us, the regular posters know you have;we see it in your humour and your personality.
Take the offer even just for the three months probation(assumption but probable). Sure rents are still high in cmf to DXB but maybe stay the Mon nite in Aloft or Meridien(best rates)- Santi will forgive ya car pool other days.You near IB Mall now yes? One hour ten mins tops to Maqta/Mussafah Bridge.Add 20 for downtown AD.
You could crack AD standing on your head with one hand tied behind your back(oh wait,that might spoil your other hobbies)Not sure AD is ready for the Spugs though.
Happy Xmas.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

there's plenty to do and like minded guys and a footy lot here in Abu Dhabi...could be worse you could be moving to Saudi like moi.

If job is for Abu Dhabi Week publication you'd have first hand experience on what's going on

a job is a job and has gotta be better than sitting at home by the pool drinking pina coladas for the ol self esteem and interest.

Rent could be a problem but commuting should be just about bearable if you can get in a car pool and get a driver. New Saadiyat bridge shaves 20 mins off trip to downtown.

what do you have to lose?

and you can watch the arabic toon - Al Jazira FC live
flares
Old Dec 19th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I hear AD rents are much higher than Dubai - is this the case?
Still the case unfortunately. Trying to offload five villas that we rented 15 months ago when things were on the up an up. Landlords wont give us refunds, on the balance of 9 months paid rent and has refused a few candidates that we have offered as subleasee. The landlords want us really to just walk away from the properties and let them re-lease them. And I certainly cant get the same rent that we agreed to 15 months ago..

Its times like this that I really hate the place.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

talk to the HCT. They have a new campus in Khalifa City A and no housing out there.

Their housing officer is rubbish so he might go for an over-riced offer.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is worth seriously considering. Yes, rents are silly, but you can start off car pooling and keep your ear to the ground for something suitable and in budget if you like it here. the other thing about Abu Dhabi is that in your line of work, if you do a good job and get a good reputation, it pays dividends as you get noticed.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't wish the dxb - abd commute on anyone, even if you aren't driving. Seriously brings down your life expectancy.

As for living in Abu Dhabi, I expect its a bit of a non starter as his wife is working in Dubai.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

I'd seriously consider commuting Dubai-Abu Dhabi. Get a comfortable car - it makes a big difference to how tired you feel at the end of the trip, and listen to audiobooks. With a good book I'd slow down so the trip would take longer .
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit
I'd seriously consider commuting Dubai-Abu Dhabi. Get a comfortable car - it makes a big difference to how tired you feel at the end of the trip, and listen to audiobooks. With a good book I'd slow down so the trip would take longer .
he doesn't drive, don't go Spugs unless you have to
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/712209940

But the savings in rental outlay come with a cost to the bodies and souls of the commuters.

Its a bit of a crap story, but it spells out the basic truth of the matter. Its a question of time..
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/712209940

But the savings in rental outlay come with a cost to the bodies and souls of the commuters.

Its a bit of a crap story, but it spells out the basic truth of the matter. Its a question of time..
Yeah - long car commutes aren't sustainable. I did a year of a daily drive from Poole to London - damn near killed me. And I was a young fella then, too.

For the last 7 years I've had a personal policy to not live more than 15 mins drive from work - makes life so much easier.

Last edited by shakh your bootie; Dec 22nd 2009 at 5:11 pm. Reason: minor grammatical error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.