Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The 9/11 photo they took FIVE years to publish......

The 9/11 photo they took FIVE years to publish......

Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 9/11 photo they took FIVE years to publish......

The debate: did this picture show couldn't-care-less twenty-something New Yoikers (well, Brooklyn, actually) idly chatting about what was happening over the river...... as if it was some sort of Hollywood special effects movie........? Or are they simply earnestly discussing what was happening?

Fascinating stuff here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2149675/
Attached Thumbnails The 9/11 photo they took FIVE years to publish......-new-yorkers.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 9/11 photo they took FIVE years to publish......

Originally Posted by The Dean
The debate: did this picture show couldn't-care-less twenty-something New Yoikers (well, Brooklyn, actually) idly chatting about what was happening over the river...... as if it was some sort of Hollywood special effects movie........? Or are they simply earnestly discussing what was happening?

Fascinating stuff here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2149675/
Have you ever seriously thought about the events on that day, and in particular how is it that an object hits a building 2/3rds of the way up, yet the whole structure collapses?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scarletfan
Have you ever seriously thought about the events on that day, and in particular how is it that an object hits a building 2/3rds of the way up, yet the whole structure collapses?
And how thousands of Jewish office workers had conveniently taken the day off...allegedly!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

ohhh god, here we go a conspiracy theory thread......

It was a missle that hit the pentagon.....
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scarletfan
Originally Posted by lionheart
And how thousands of Jewish office workers had conveniently taken the day off...allegedly!
Conspiracy theory!!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:07 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.Spare me the loose change(2nd ed)
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.Spare me the loose change(2nd ed)
Who is that comment aimed at?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:58 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Who is that comment aimed at?
Em................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................

suppose everyone who is looking for an alternative............bit like the Dianagate thing.'Aimed at'? no-quiet observation if that's alright with you The Dean.

Please, your latest avi?

Last edited by Eva; Feb 28th 2008 at 4:59 pm. Reason: add.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Em................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................

suppose everyone who is looking for an alternative............bit like the Dianagate thing.'Aimed at'? no-quiet observation if that's alright with you The Dean.

Please, your latest avi?
OK - I wasn't peddling Conspiracy Theory No 236 - I just thought the photo, or more accurately the decision not to publish until the photographer thought America was "ready" for it - was an interesting debate in itself.

My avatar?

Kate Sheedy - a wonderfully brave young lady who survived a brutal attack by Levi Bellfield (when she refused to get into his car, he ran her over, then reversed over her) and had the courage to testify against him while he sat in court blowing kisses at her and mouthing obscenities.....
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:15 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ya, ok 1st part:
You know better to peddle/meddle-this is a worldwide Board nd 9/11 is still raw for a lot of people Agreed? Good. Move on.
2nd Part-Yes, incredibly brave young lady- I hope she gets the support she deserves when the 15 minutes of fame are over.
The Bellfield animal?- take him off and give him a jag.What say you..........
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Ya, ok 1st part:
You know better to peddle/meddle-this is a worldwide Board nd 9/11 is still raw for a lot of people Agreed? Good. Move on.
2nd Part-Yes, incredibly brave young lady- I hope she gets the support she deserves when the 15 minutes of fame are over.
The Bellfield animal?- take him off and give him a jag.What say you..........
And full marks to York Univ who accepted her, based on her PREDICTED A-Level grades, while she lay in a hospital bed unable to take the actual exams.

And she's now 21 and doing well there apparently.

The 9/11 thing will always be with us - in my case, I suffered 'delayed shock' - I only found out nearly TWO YEARS later that I had lost an old friend and former colleague in the WTC (I had lost touch with him, and hadn't even realised he worked there).
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes............. In ref to your friend-thank you-my point.Parents are in the same boat.
So. Jag or life?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Yes............. In ref to your friend-thank you-my point.Parents are in the same boat.
So. Jag or life?
Needs a whole new thread..........

I will always vehemently oppose the death penalty - but I'd listen to the arguments for the alternatives....... ALL of them.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:33 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So spin a new one
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to type 'whats the big deal with the photo' then i took a second to recall how i spent 911...

totally transfixed to the TV, calling my family and friends who were in NY, generally panicing about something that i knew prob didnt affect me greatly..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.