Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to St Lucia - Our Options?

Emigrating to St Lucia - Our Options?

Old May 18th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to St Lucia - Our Options?

We are toying with the idea of emigrating to St Lucia in a year or two and would like some advice in securing a long term visa or a right to stay.

We know one way would be to buy a property but we think it would be wiser to rent first (probably for a couple of years). First question, would buying a small piece of land do the trick?

Another option we're toying with is to set up a business but that itself presents us with a few issues because we are not retiring but will be running our UK businesses remotely. As such, running another venture in SLU could cause unnecessary stress. Second question, if we set up a small enterprise as a joint venture with a local, would this help?

Any advice or ideas would be welcome
Old May 19th 2009, 2:59 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to St Lucia - Our Options?

Originally Posted by 3aces
We are toying with the idea of emigrating to St Lucia in a year or two and would like some advice in securing a long term visa or a right to stay.

We know one way would be to buy a property but we think it would be wiser to rent first (probably for a couple of years). First question, would buying a small piece of land do the trick?

Another option we're toying with is to set up a business but that itself presents us with a few issues because we are not retiring but will be running our UK businesses remotely. As such, running another venture in SLU could cause unnecessary stress. Second question, if we set up a small enterprise as a joint venture with a local, would this help?

I have heard something about the possibility of residency visas being granted to those who buy a property in excess of about 230k sterling, but I am not sure if this has come into effect yet.

Maybe your best bet would be starting a business especially if it is going to employ a local, check with a lawyer for clarification.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pgtips. The business route is a sound idea. Wondering if anyone has tried this avenue?

Last edited by 3aces; May 19th 2009 at 7:08 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:27 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pgtips. The business route is a sound idea. Wondering if anyone has tried this avenue?
Chris every time I am in St Lucia I bump into an English person who is trying to set some business up or other. The O Bar is run and owned by a Brit, the ice cream parlour is foreign owned as far as I can recall, as are some hotels etc. Even Rodney Bay Marina is foriegn owned now by IGY.
It can be done.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I agree, quite a few businesses are owned by foreign nationals.

Does anyone know a good lawyer we could contact?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:14 am

Yeah I agree, quite a few businesses are owned by foreign nationals.

Does anyone know a good lawyer we could contact?
I will PM you the details of a Lawyer I have used for property transactions.
I have had no problems with her. I will have to dig up her number, hopefully she will be able to point you in the right direction..
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:11 am
Just Joined

virgo_v is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Emigrating to St Lucia - Our Options?

Hi there!

Just thought i'd respond to your query confirming that it would be the best thing to establish a business over in St Lucia and setting up something with a local sounds good.

And if you do decide to go, my parents have a house in Rodney Bay that they would like to rent long term so feel free to contact me need be for more info.

Oh, and they set up a business in regards to visa requirements.

Good Luck!!!
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your advice.

Having spoken to the lawyer recommended by Pgtips, looks like setting up a business (and employing a local) would be our best bet.

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
I will PM you the details of a Lawyer I have used for property transactions.
I have had no problems with her. I will have to dig up her number, hopefully she will be able to point you in the right direction..
pgtips

Any chance you can pm me your lawyer's details? Seems our Uk lawyer has decided it's time to retire (this is the third UK lawyer we have had since 2006) and we have had reports that some St Lucia lawyers are less than reliable and I am not sure about the one we have been linked with now so this is an ideal opportunity to switch to someone who is tried and tested.

We are still awaiting progress reports and perhaps someone who is a bit more proactive would be useful.

Hoping you can be of assistance.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Jaylove is an unknown quantity at this point

This is really interesting as we are also considering St Lucia. Need help in deciding the best option. IF anyone has gone down this route succesfully please let me know. We have a viable business here in the UK and would like to open the same in St Lucia, with the view to employ locals and hopefully purchase a home/land to build.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Elliejay is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Emigrating to St Lucia - Our Options?

Hi, My business partner/friend and I are also emigrating to St Lucia, planning to arrive on 12th Nov this year. We too are setting up a business that can run from either here or there. However, when ringing the Embassy both of us seem to get vague and different answers to our questions, like how long can we stay on a visa without buying property, so we now thought we'd go to the Embassy in London to see if face to face is any better/clearer. If someone can advise us on here that would be great though. We thought we'd go to start with as visitors and then set up the business there. There are lots of bits we want to bring into the country to help with the business and hear that there might be concessions on the duty. Has anyone had experience of that. For example we need a new car for our business and we think it may be cheaper to buy here, but the duty (without any concessions) is very dear. I'd be glad of any help. It would be lovely to also make some friends with other people planning to go, maybe we can all help each other out... Thanks P.s can we have the name of the lawyer that someone recommended please?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
buying property doesn't automatically allow you to an unlimited stay, they are thinking of doing this but it hasn't yet been approved and implemented. What type of business is it?

A foreign company needs a trade licence to operate and the Trade Licence board has been dissolved without a replacement option put in place as yet so any foreign company wanting to set up to trade is left in limbo at the moment.

There are certain trades that are reserved for locals and local companies so it is not automatic that a licence is granted.

Although vehicles are cheaper to buy off island the duty is very high so it will work out more expensive...so best to buy here on island.

Happy to help out with anything I can give help on, I have been here just over two years now.