Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

car buying/importing st lucia

car buying/importing st lucia

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car buying/importing st lucia

Originally Posted by pgtips
Islandmom, when you approach nearer the time you are going to St Lucia I can also put you onto a chap who imports vehicles. He usually uses them for his rental agency but can import one for your private use. He does not have a showroom so should be able to save you some money. He used to be a customs officer so knows the ins and outs of importing vehicles onto the island. Where will you be based on the island ?
Hi PGTips
A friend of mine is going to live in St Lucia most of the year, and wants to know about importing his jeep from the UK. It is under 5 years old and he has owned if for nearly 12 months. Any advice on how to go about this? Who to speak to etc?
many thanks,
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:43 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
Hi PGTips
A friend of mine is going to live in St Lucia most of the year, and wants to know about importing his jeep from the UK. It is under 5 years old and he has owned if for nearly 12 months. Any advice on how to go about this? Who to speak to etc?
many thanks,
If he is a citizen of St Lucia, and is returning to the island permanently after not having lived in the Island for 10 years, he can import a vehicle in without paying duty on it as long as it is done within six months of him moving onto the island. If he is not a returing citizen he will be liable to duty equivalent to about 100% of the purchase cost, proof of purchase, such as a bill of sale will have to be shown. He will have to check with customs for further clarification.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi, me and my husband are organising a move to St Lucia, my husband is from there and all his family and friends are there. we are looking to move either next year or a bit after (depending on finances) We too will be looking at getting a car. We have looked into purchasing here in the UK a decent car to cope with the island roads but have decided that it just isnt viable. Therefore please can I be cheeky and jump on the band wagon with regards to some info and help from people already up and running over there.
We would love some help in finding a car and some info on whether I will need a visa or will my married status be enough?
We are moving with the view to setting up our own company so any help with that would be great to.
I am finding it difficult to find info here and are planning on a visit to St Lucia to do some research.

Thank you
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:46 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi, me and my husband are organising a move to St Lucia, my husband is from there and all his family and friends are there. we are looking to move either next year or a bit after (depending on finances) We too will be looking at getting a car. We have looked into purchasing here in the UK a decent car to cope with the island roads but have decided that it just isnt viable. Therefore please can I be cheeky and jump on the band wagon with regards to some info and help from people already up and running over there.
We would love some help in finding a car and some info on whether I will need a visa or will my married status be enough?
We are moving with the view to setting up our own company so any help with that would be great to.
I am finding it difficult to find info here and are planning on a visit to St Lucia to do some research.

Thank you
Gltterycloud, 4 wheel drive all the way. If you husband has St Lucian citizenship you will not have a problem staying on island, but will have to renew your visa every 90 days until you are granted your permanent stay or citizenship. I can't stress how much a decent 4 wheel drive will make your life much easier and make all areas accessible to you. I have spent the last couple of weeks using one on the island, in fact I used two, first some unknown brand and then a Land Rover freelander, and boy did they take me up some roads.
The main roads on the island have been improved immensly over the last couple of years and driving from Vieux fort to gros Islet is a doddle now the road is so smooth, but once off the major highways that is when a 4X4 comes into its own.

3 or 4 new bars in Rodney bay, look very chic, also a new night club near by. Marina development well under way and Marina being expanded and greatly improved. Some nice little eateries there to.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Gltterycloud, 4 wheel drive all the way. If you husband has St Lucian citizenship you will not have a problem staying on island, but will have to renew your visa every 90 days until you are granted your permanent stay or citizenship. I can't stress how much a decent 4 wheel drive will make your life much easier and make all areas accessible to you. I have spent the last couple of weeks using one on the island, in fact I used two, first some unknown brand and then a Land Rover freelander, and boy did they take me up some roads.
The main roads on the island have been improved immensly over the last couple of years and driving from Vieux fort to gros Islet is a doddle now the road is so smooth, but once off the major highways that is when a 4X4 comes into its own.

3 or 4 new bars in Rodney bay, look very chic, also a new night club near by. Marina development well under way and Marina being expanded and greatly improved. Some nice little eateries there to.
Can't believe you were here and you didn't give me a shout!! Hope you had a good trip.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Mr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the roughMr Redrose is a jewel in the rough

Mr Redrose, I should be on the island a good while before you, in fact I will be located just 5-10 mins from Bonne Terre, so just give me a nod when you are coming and we will sort you out with a vehicle.
Brother pgtips - we've had a slight delay in our plans, and now won't be out there until November 2009. However, will still send a PM when we are coming over.

Take care,

Mr Redrose
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Redrose
Brother pgtips - we've had a slight delay in our plans, and now won't be out there until November 2009. However, will still send a PM when we are coming over.

Take care,

Mr Redrose
Well just as well as my plans have somewhat been delayed, however once there I am sure the wait will have been worth it. was last in st Lucia in March, quite a lot going on on Rodney bay. The Marina extension is due to be completed at the end of the year and also the new shopping mall.
The Landings looks quite stunning at night when the lights are on. There is now a Subway and a Burger King and a few more chic bars springing up.
The Lime is under new management and I met the owner of a new club the 'O club' in the Marina vicinity. Lots of condos and housing developments but still this does not spoil the beauty of the place because these are quite discreet.
I also had chance to go around with a couple of builders and see some of their work. I will eventually put more details on www.stlucia.es when I get around to it. Even Carol Vorderman has bought a couple of properties in the area and her agency is also promotiong properties on the island.
St Lucia is well and truely on the map, but hey let's not tell everyone.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

St Lucia is well and truely on the map, but hey let's not tell everyone.
The secret is out! Forget Barbados - I'm going to St. Lucia immediately

Actually, I am going to St. Lucia but not until February. I'll connect with you St. Lucia locals before then to get the scoop.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

annettej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm new to the forum... just moved to St Lucia in August. I love it here! I'm trying to find out how much duty, levies and taxes I would have to pay on an imported 2000 Honda. I'm not a returning resident.

Thanks!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by annettej
Hi, I'm new to the forum... just moved to St Lucia in August. I love it here! I'm trying to find out how much duty, levies and taxes I would have to pay on an imported 2000 Honda. I'm not a returning resident.

Thanks!
Hi Annette, I just moved here back in May and imported my vehicle. First thing you need to be aware of is that because the vehicle is over 5 years old you need permission from Cabinet. Yes, the Prime Minister's office. Sounds stupid I know as my initial reaction was that surely with everything else that needs doing around here the guy surely is too busy to worry about my 5 year old vehicle I am trying to import. For me it took about 3 weeks to get the permission. You need to quote chassis number and engine number and year of vehicle as well as make and model and engine CC.

As for duty and taxes. I worked on a rough figure of about 130% of the valuation of the vehicle plus the cost of the sea friehgt. They add the freight to the value of the vehicle and wack about 130% on top for duty and taxes.

There is one further fee. An environmental Levy and because your vehicle is over 5 years old this is charged at 4000 EC$ flat rate.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want any further information / detail.

Added - One further thing. The value of the vehicle. If you have bought it in the last six months then the invoice / receipt will do for the value of the vehicle. If the vehicle has been in your ownership for a long time then it is worth getting a new valuation certificate done by a local garage before you ship it down here. Then also be aware that actually very often Customs will pluck their own figure out of thin air....especially if they think you are deliberately trying to devalue the vehicle.

Last edited by A_Zimbo; Sep 24th 2009 at 4:24 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi A-Zimbo

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with that great info.

I actually spoke to Customs this afternoon. The lady said that I'd pay 60.5% of the cost of the vehicle and freight. She said that the $4000 EC levy was for vehicles UNDER 5 years, but didn't quote a figure for over 5 years. She did mention the part about the Cabinet approving the vehicle. Did she miss something out? How did you get to 130%?

Are there any particular requirements to getting the vehicle approved?

Last edited by annettej; Sep 24th 2009 at 8:01 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by annettej
Hi A-Zimbo

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with that great info.

I actually spoke to Customs this afternoon. The lady said that I'd pay 60.5% of the cost of the vehicle and freight. She said that the $4000 EC levy was for vehicles UNDER 5 years, but didn't quote a figure for over 5 years. She did mention that part about the Cabinet approving the vehicle.

Are there any particular requirements to getting the vehicle approved?
No requirements for approval Annette. But when you try to get the vehicle out of customs, on the day it clears you will not be allowed to unless you have got an insurance certificate. They won't let you off the Port Grounds without it. The thing is though that the insurance company won't give you cover unless the vehicle has been inspected, not for road worthiness but for a valuation. What you need to do is get a day cover note from the insurance company, this lets you drive the vehicle off the port site. Then you go to get a valuation, I would recommend Bandag as they are close to the port where you collect the car. YOu can then take this valuation (I paid 90 EC for mine) straight away to the insurance company and get a proper full year insurance as without it you won't be able to register the vehicle up at the Dept of Transport. (You know where that is?)

As for the 60.5%. Seems very low to me. I would check with a local Customs Broker. Problem is as I am sure you have found out, if you ask 3 people who to recommend you will get 4 answers! I can only tell you that I used M&C (Because I could also insure the vehicle with them as well as use their customs brokerage service) and I was perfectly happy with them however another one recommended to me by a ton of people is Blanchards. Next shipment I do I will use Blanchards. The recommendations have just been too many for me to ignore.

Hope some of the above was helpful.

Best wishes & Good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A_Zimbo
As for the 60.5%. Seems very low to me. I would check with a local Customs Broker.
Yes, that did seem very low to me too based on the research I've done. I will definitely call one of the brokers you recommended and let you know what they say. Thanks!