British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Saint Lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/)
-   -   car buying/importing st lucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/saint-lucia-176/car-buying-importing-st-lucia-503548/)

username 34 Jan 4th 2008 2:33 pm

car buying/importing st lucia

so - if we go to St Lucia whats the best way to get a car? Anybody know?

so far I have exhausted the internet looking for cars for sale - none! called a dealer in Castries who has a 1993 Suzuki Escudo for sale for $28,000 EC!!! (I think not!)

so now I'm looking down the Japanese import route.

is there anyone out there who's done it, knows if its a good idea or what?

I'm looking at a 1996 Toyota Hilux, bought and shipped for $8300 USD and then I think its about 127% duty to get it in so looking at a total price in the region of $14000 USD.

to me thats alot more car than the 1993 Escudo! but are there deals and places to find better things?

Mr Redrose Jan 5th 2008 6:10 pm

Re: car buying/importing st lucia

:cool:

Hi - I've researched the import route from the UK, but as far as I can see, it's expensive and there are problems. I'll explain: -

You have to buy the vehicle in Japan unseen and pay for it before it's loaded

You then have to pay transport and insurance costs to get it to St Lucia

When it gets here you pay customs duty, I believe, on the purchase price AND the cost of transportation. (I can't discover the correct rate of duty, but most of the rates are high)

When the vehicle gets here, does it need to be approved by the Government? In UK there is the SVA system to ensure it complies with UK road law. If it doesn't need approval, can you deal with a speedo and mileometer that register KPH instead of MPH?

How does the vehicle get registered in St Lucia? Can a non-resident own a car? How do you get a Lucian driving licence other than the temporary ones issued by the hire companies?

That's the bad news.

The good news is that the St Lucia telephone directory (available on-line) discloses that the following firms seem to offer an importation service for used cars from Japan, which may deal with some of the above problems. They are: -Silverline Marketing & Co Ltd 001785-454-8660/8668 (Vieux Fort)
-Kamakie's Auto Parts 001785-451-0166 (Castries)

Good luck and let me know what you find out. I'm hoping to be out in 15 months!!

Mr Redrose

username 34 Jan 5th 2008 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Redrose (Post 5743866)
:cool:

Hi - I've researched the import route from the UK, but as far as I can see, it's expensive and there are problems. I'll explain: -

You have to buy the vehicle in Japan unseen and pay for it before it's loaded

You then have to pay transport and insurance costs to get it to St Lucia

When it gets here you pay customs duty, I believe, on the purchase price AND the cost of transportation. (I can't discover the correct rate of duty, but most of the rates are high)

When the vehicle gets here, does it need to be approved by the Government? In UK there is the SVA system to ensure it complies with UK road law. If it doesn't need approval, can you deal with a speedo and mileometer that register KPH instead of MPH?

How does the vehicle get registered in St Lucia? Can a non-resident own a car? How do you get a Lucian driving licence other than the temporary ones issued by the hire companies?

That's the bad news.

The good news is that the St Lucia telephone directory (available on-line) discloses that the following firms seem to offer an importation service for used cars from Japan, which may deal with some of the above problems. They are: -Silverline Marketing & Co Ltd 001785-454-8660/8668 (Vieux Fort)
-Kamakie's Auto Parts 001785-451-0166 (Castries)

Good luck and let me know what you find out. I'm hoping to be out in 15 months!!

Mr Redrose

excellent! thanks for that - I got the duty rates from customs so I'm okay there and I'm fairly confident importing unseen as people do it here all the time with no problems. BUT its a whole lot easier with an actual contact in St ucia who's done this before so I'll give those companies a call.

thanks

pgtips Jan 6th 2008 5:14 pm

Islandmom, when you approach nearer the time you are going to St Lucia I can also put you onto a chap who imports vehicles. He usually uses them for his rental agency but can import one for your private use. He does not have a showroom so should be able to save you some money. He used to be a customs officer so knows the ins and outs of importing vehicles onto the island. Where will you be based on the island ?

johnknight001 Jan 6th 2008 5:50 pm

hello
my old man lives in st lucia, pm me and i will give you his email addressse, he has had these issues.

Mr Redrose Jan 6th 2008 6:46 pm

Hi all.

:thumbup:

Please send me the email addresses as well, as I hope I shall need a vehicle in just over 12 months.

pg tips - good website man - keep it up.

Mr Redrose

username 34 Jan 6th 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 5748005)
Islandmom, when you approach nearer the time you are going to St Lucia I can also put you onto a chap who imports vehicles. He usually uses them for his rental agency but can import one for your private use. He does not have a showroom so should be able to save you some money. He used to be a customs officer so knows the ins and outs of importing vehicles onto the island. Where will you be based on the island ?

thanks PG - We'll be based up north around Castries/Gros Islet if we go. Its about 80% certain we go and we'd be there 12-18 months time max.

I'll PM you when I'm looking to order it as I'll do so before leaving here so its there for me when we arrive.

pgtips Jan 11th 2008 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Redrose (Post 5748326)
Hi all.

Please send me the email addresses as well, as I hope I shall need a vehicle in just over 12 months.

pg tips - good website man - keep it up.

Mr Redrose

Mr Redrose, I should be on the island a good while before you, in fact I will be located just 5-10 mins from Bonne Terre, so just give me a nod when you are coming and we will sort you out with a vehicle.

Mr Redrose Jan 12th 2008 10:16 am

:shades_smile:

pg tips,

Thank you. Will certainly send you a PM before we come out. We're thinking of a Daihatsu Terios or Toyota Rav4 (four door).

We did consider approaching a car rental firm to see if they were replacing any vehicles. What do you think of that idea??

Good website - keep up the good work.

Mr Redrose

Pauljarv Jan 15th 2008 3:52 pm

I'm wondering what to do about this too. If I get the job there I will have access to a vehicle but my wife won't. Over in the US we lease a car, are there places where I can lease a vehicle as we won't be there for more than 2 years.

Mr Redrose Jan 15th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pauljarv (Post 5791816)
I'm wondering what to do about this too. If I get the job there I will have access to a vehicle but my wife won't. Over in the US we lease a car, are there places where I can lease a vehicle as we won't be there for more than 2 years.

St Lucia's telephone directory is available on-line - it discloses one automobile leasing firm - Roserie Leasing Corporation +001758 458 1370 if outside St Lucia.

Hope that helps.

Mr Redrose

Pauljarv Jan 15th 2008 8:39 pm

Great thanks, I'll give them a try.

username 34 Jan 16th 2008 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pauljarv (Post 5793207)
Great thanks, I'll give them a try.

let me know what they have to say - what their prices are if you do .... be nice to see whats around

Pauljarv Jan 17th 2008 1:56 pm

I'm waiting to hear about any job offer before I contact places like this which could be a couple of weeks away. Don't hold your breath for me to get back to you!

username 34 Jan 17th 2008 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pauljarv (Post 5800518)
I'm waiting to hear about any job offer before I contact places like this which could be a couple of weeks away. Don't hold your breath for me to get back to you!

:thumbup: I was starting to feel a bit dizzy from oxygen depravation LOL!!