Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Buying furniture for holiday home in St.Lucia?

Buying furniture for holiday home in St.Lucia?

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

SarahCapEstate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying furniture for holiday home in St.Lucia?

Hi

Anyone got any advice on where I can buy nice furniture for my holiday home in St.Lucia?

I've been to Courts, but the prices are a joke for such old fashioned pieces.

I've also considered shipping from the UK, but have been unsuccessful in obtaining a landholders licence and the import tax is extortionate.

I have built my villa from scratch and it is over the minimum bedrooms required to obtain the licence, but because I am an individual the government haven't wanted to know.

Has anyone gone through the same process and been successful or imported furniture from abroad or within the Caribbean?

Obviously, with the current financial markets, money to complete the villa has been tight. I will need to furnish the place on a very tight budget. So any advice is very welcomed :-)
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:03 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying furniture for holiday home in St.Lucia?

Originally Posted by SarahCapEstate
Hi

Anyone got any advice on where I can buy nice furniture for my holiday home in St.Lucia?

I've been to Courts, but the prices are a joke for such old fashioned pieces.

I've also considered shipping from the UK, but have been unsuccessful in obtaining a landholders licence and the import tax is extortionate.

I have built my villa from scratch and it is over the minimum bedrooms required to obtain the licence, but because I am an individual the government haven't wanted to know.

Has anyone gone through the same process and been successful or imported furniture from abroad or within the Caribbean?

Obviously, with the current financial markets, money to complete the villa has been tight. I will need to furnish the place on a very tight budget. So any advice is very welcomed :-)
Hi Sarah, from your user name I gather you are in Cap Estate ? Do you mean your villa has been built with too many bedrooms. I thought an alien land holders license was issued on the size of the plot of land, normally up to 1 acre, not the amount of bedrooms you have or size of house you build. That would be down to the planning department. Who told you your information ?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:10 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

You can try this company in Vieux Fort for beds. http://www.lubecoslu.com/index.php/about/
have you tried the Yellow pages for furniture places http://s2.stluciayp.com/St-Lucia/Furniture-Retail

Last edited by pgtips; Jan 4th 2012 at 9:17 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

SarahCapEstate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I re-read what I wrote yesterday and can tell I'm still suffering from a head cold and my brain's not working!

I was meant to say I haven't been successful with obtaining a tax exemption certificate through the Tourism Incentives Act.

My house is on the Cap and is nearly completed. I will be looking to rent it out after completion. I met with the Ministry of Tourism and they advised to try for exemption of tax on importing furniture for the venture, but it hasn't worked out so now I either buy on island, which leaves very little choice or pay the high levels of import tax.

Has anyone imported from other Carib island's? Do they have more choice?

Thanks

Sarah