You know your in the UK when .....

Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in the UK when .....

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

Better to do it legally than get somebody to create the illusion that you live in the UK when you don't .
its against the law (fraud by any other name) to do that isn't it, or are you saying folks actually do that?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 27th 2013 at 1:48 pm. Reason: added some
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
its against the law (fraud by any other name) to do that isn't it, or are you saying folks actually do that?
Most assuredly folks do that for a number of reasons, particularly if they don't pay taxes, or more to the point have sufficient UK arising income, so are quite happy to be resident, and are hard to weed out because UKBA doesn't clock you in and out.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 27th 2013 at 1:56 pm. Reason: or more to the point have sufficient UK arising income....
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I can't wait to get there in three weeks time, I shall make sure i am wearing my wellies though, to protect my feet from the sea of dog poo that will no doubt greet me.
Funny how things must have changed in the last 6 months, I don't remember having to play "jump the turd" last time I was home.
Dont worry, they will clean it up for your visit
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Dont worry, they will clean it up for your visit
bit like royalty?!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
bit like royalty?!
Indeed, they do the same for the Queen. They have a veritable army of men, women and children cleaning the streets ahead of her so she never has to witness the sea of canine excreta.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

IF (a very big IF) you can afford it initially, it makes sense to defer your pension at the outset when you live in one of those colonies.

You will still get the indexation until you claim and get a 1% uptick for every five weeks you defer.

If you think you are going to live to a hundred and ten then so much the better
seems daft to defer on the basis of my simple maths knowledge.

Suppose your entitlement at state pension age on April 21 its £100/wk and you decide to defer for 50 weeks (almost one year). During that time you've not collected £5000, however at week 51 you begin to collect £110/wk a 10% increase based on the deferral. Since £5000 wasn't collected and your now only getting £10/wk more - the catch up is 500 weeks (almost 10 years) I might be dead in 10 years, so why defer?

Most assuredly folks do that for a number of reasons, particularly if they don't pay taxes, or more to the point have sufficient UK arising income, so are quite happy to be resident, and are hard to weed out because UKBA doesn't clock you in and out.
In fact Pete you are logged - you are logged by the fact of leaving the country you left to enter the UK when you checked in the airline ticket agent zips your passport and the flight manifest which the UKBA has on your arrival says where you came from. Its the terrorist watch system that all countries employ (of course you knew this already). And if you didn't notice on your last arrival at a UK passport control even if you are entering on a Brit passport the UKBA passport officer zips your passport. At least it did for me. On your departure from the UK again the airline ticket agent zips your passport once again & its manifest is available when you arrive back at your outbound origin.

So lets suppose you leave x country with that country passport, arrive in the UK with your Brit passport & leave on the foreign passport.

You're not fooling anyone - because multiple entries to the UK, the UKBA can see when you last arrived even though you leave on a foreign passport. Its an easy tie back to your flight plan. Just beware folks

Last edited by not2old; Sep 27th 2013 at 2:35 pm. Reason: added more
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Indeed, they do the same for the Queen. They have a veritable army of men, women and children cleaning the streets ahead of her so she never has to witness the sea of canine excreta.
while on the subject of all things bright & beautiful - chris how is your quality of life back in the UK compared to the place you left to return home 0 exclude any financial aspects?

As well, do you find the quality of life back in the UK better now than it was when you emigrated?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose your entitlement at state pension age on April 21 its £100/wk and you decide to defer for 50 weeks (almost one year). During that time you've not collected £5000, however at week 51 you begin to collect £110/wk a 10% increase based on the deferral. Since £5000 wasn't collected and your now only getting £10/wk more - the catch up is 500 weeks (almost 10 years) I might be dead in 10 years, so why defer?

In fact Pete you are logged - you are logged by the fact of leaving the country you left to enter the UK when you checked in the airline ticket agent zips your passport and the flight manifest which the UKBA has on your arrival says where you came from. Its the terrorist watch system that all countries employ (of course you knew this already). And if you didn't notice on your last arrival at a UK passport control even if you are entering on a Brit passport the UKBA passport officer zips your passport. At least it did for me. On your departure from the UK again the airline ticket agent zips your passport once again & its manifest is available when you arrive back at your outbound origin.

So lets suppose you leave x country with that country passport, arrive in the UK with your Brit passport & leave on the foreign passport.

You're not fooling anyone - because multiple entries to the UK, the UKBA can see when you last arrived even though you leave on a foreign passport. Its an easy tie back to your flight plan. Just beware folks
On your first point, indeed you could be dead, but typical life expectancy says that you are good until your early eighties ON AVERAGE these days, though of course each to their own when pondering this.

At age 75 when you've recouped the shortfall and realise you're good for at least ten more years it might or might not be a big help, substantially so if you've deferred more than one year.

Ref the UKBA, one has to assume then that systems are not integrated such that the paymaster for UK State Pensions and for the NHS and for the controls over issuance of EHICs, for example, knows that you are in fact not resident in spite of your signature (or somebody else's) to the contrary, if only because you haven't set foot in the place for umpteen years.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 27th 2013 at 3:00 pm. Reason: if only because you haven't set foot in the place for umpteen years.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are we absolutely sure these days that no matter what mode of travel we have adopted TO LEAVE the UK and to whence*, our passports have been scanned such that the authorities know we are OFF ship?

*I'm thinking of going to the Continent via the Channel Islands for example
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

At age 75 when you've recouped the shortfall and realise you're good for at least ten more years it might or might not be a big help, substantially so if you've deferred more than one year.
or the fact that you need the money when you turn pension age - so why bother (for the sake of a number) deferring 10 years?

The other side of that up till 2017 (or is that now 2015?) when changes come in - is that you as the NIC contributor & if you have a spouse the spouse will get 60% of you the state pensioner pension.

The £100/wk you get now becomes joint £160/wk non indexed of course because you live in the colonies

Last edited by not2old; Sep 27th 2013 at 3:33 pm. Reason: added more info
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Are we absolutely sure these days that no matter what mode of travel we have adopted TO LEAVE the UK and to whence*, our passports have been scanned such that the authorities know we are OFF ship?

Pete there are likely ways around it - its just one by one over time the loopholes get closed & the culprits get caught
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:38 pm
Banned

while on the subject of all things bright & beautiful - chris how is your quality of life back in the UK compared to the place you left to return home 0 exclude any financial aspects?

As well, do you find the quality of life back in the UK better now than it was when you emigrated?
Its ridiculous to ignore the financial aspect as it directly affects quality of life but just for you leaving it to one side my quality of life is at the very minimum as good as Brisbane and in almost all ways better. We are able to pursue the things we are passionate about to a much greater extent here.
I emigrated with my parents when I was 18 months old so to be honest dont remember much about it Being back in the 60s I would have to assume my quality of life is infinitly better than back then. In more recent times when we lived here in the late 90's, again I would have to say our quality of life overall is better now but our situation is very different now.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

you don't need a passport to go to the channel islands from the UK, but you would need one to go to France from the channel islands
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Its ridiculous to ignore the financial aspect as it directly affects quality of life but just for you leaving it to one side my quality of life is at the very minimum as good as Brisbane and in almost all ways better. We are able to pursue the things we are passionate about to a much greater extent here.
I emigrated with my parents when I was 18 months old so to be honest dont remember much about it Being back in the 60s I would have to assume my quality of life is infinitly better than back then. In more recent times when we lived here in the late 90's, again I would have to say our quality of life overall is better now but our situation is very different now.
thanks for that chris as it was an all encompassing question related to the thread. Did not realize you left as an infant & came back as an adult as well you mentioning the change for the better from the 90's to today.

My poking fun with the negativecomments 'you know when you're in the UK when' gets to bring out other sides of the UK other than the countryside, smells, people etc. But as you posted upthread - you can ignore the small stuff like dog poo, the bedroom tax, immigrants etc especially if thery do not affect your daily life.

So you know when you are in the UK after having returned from far off places to appreciate it as a place in a world unto its own. Maybe more folks should emigrate for 5-10 years then come (go) back home
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by mikelincs
you don't need a passport to go to the channel islands from the UK, but you would need one to go to France from the channel islands
do you need a passport to travel on the train from the UK to France?

Trying to anticipate Pete's reasoning - I'm guessing that by leaving the UK crossing the channel ONE can then fly out to wherever, which would look as though a person had never left the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.