Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Why did you leave Canada to move back to the UK

Why did you leave Canada to move back to the UK

Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you leave Canada to move back to the UK

The UK is the centre of the universe
Originally Posted by Wombat7
Nope that is Toronto, os so I have been told by countless people from out west and out east.
I actually thought that was people from Toronto thinking it was the centre of the universe.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
you beat me to that one!
I can remember talking to a woman sitting next to me on a flight from Halifax to Toronto. Conversation was going well until 30 mins from TO when she changed the subject to Toronto. She spent the remaining 45 mins of the flight (15 mins from touch down to deplane) saying how much she hated Toronto, how arogant people were who lived there, how they thought Toronto was centre of uni sense and she couldn't wait until she was able to fly out again.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philwood
I've spent a considerable amount of time in Toronto, and one of the things which I really liked was the public transport. I found it to be more efficient and accessible than transport in the UK.

The cost of living was generally much cheaper, although groceries tended to be more expensive than the UK. Clothing and shoes were much cheaper, as was eating out.

The tipping culture is quite different, I would say. We tip in Canada, but rarely in the UK. It's not expected so much in the UK either.

I found in quite easy to find jobs in Canada compared to the UK; however, this could be just my personal experience, as I have friends who find it very difficult to find work.

Many things were very similar. Christmas definitely wasn't a big thing in Toronto (contrary to what many people think), and all in all, I would choose the UK over Canada.

I'm sorry this just isn't true, I worked in the restaurant industry years ago and tipping was very much expected, I grew up watching my parents tip trades and hospitality providers.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I actually thought that was people from Toronto thinking it was the centre of the universe.
Nope it is people from the east or west who think that people from Toronto this it is the centre of the universe.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nope it is people from the east or west who think that people from Toronto this it is the centre of the universe.
Strange that all those people east and west have an incorrect opinion of those in between. I wonder why that might be.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

No idea but cannot count the number of times I have heard that and also been told how terrible Toronto is and the people from there.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Strange that all those people east and west have an incorrect opinion of those in between. I wonder why that might be.
It's the old story and the same is true anywhere - all it takes is one big mouth to leave a lasting and widespread impression. You'll get the odd individual from city in question who comes across with an air of arrogance and superiority that others resent and boom, the entire GTA (or NYC or London for that matter) population is tarred with the same brush. Being the country's largest city, I think this sort of thing comes with the territory. Is it fair? No. I lived in Toronto for over 11 years and found the vast majority of people just like anywhere else trying to make a living and a decent life for themselves. I hated living there but admit if I'd been born and raised there I'd likely feel far differently.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously considering moving back. Pull up a chair and let me tell you why...

I have lived in Toronto for 6 years. Three of them were spent working minimum wage, two of them spent working in my field (media) and the rest of the time I was unemployed. It's been six months since I last worked and I'm sure as hell not working for 11 bloody dollars an hour again!

If I were able to "Quantum Leap" into my body on the day of my flight to Canada, I'd go and beg for my old UK job back. The continual rejection of my skills and experience at the hands of Canadian employers have changed me in a negative way. Any ounce of positivity or optimism I once had has gone and my social confidence has all but vanished as I stay in and apply online for Canadian jobs that I'll never get.

In the UK, I think I'd have a much fairer chance of getting a job (and even one in my old career field!) because British employers are not as hung up about credentials as their Canadian counterparts are. Plus, the (private sector) professionalism is much higher over there than it is here.

True story. Six months after getting my Canadian citizenship I was on E.I. (the Canadian dole). Just about sums up my time this country. One day, when all this is behind me, I'll be looking at CVs at my desk. All the Canadian ones will be going in the bin.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig_hoxton
One day, when all this is behind me, I'll be looking at CVs at my desk. All the Canadian ones will be going in the bin.
Wouldn't treating people equally, regardless of nationality, race, gender etc be a better way of fighting back against discrimination?

I hope you have better luck in future, whichever country you choose.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

I have lived in Toronto for 6 years. Three of them were spent working minimum wage, two of them spent working in my field (media) and the rest of the time I was unemployed. It's been six months since I last worked and I'm sure as hell not working for 11 bloody dollars an hour again!

If I were able to "Quantum Leap" into my body on the day of my flight to Canada, I'd go and beg for my old UK job back. The continual rejection of my skills and experience at the hands of Canadian employers have changed me in a negative way. Any ounce of positivity or optimism I once had has gone and my social confidence has all but vanished as I stay in and apply online for Canadian jobs that I'll never get.

In the UK, I think I'd have a much fairer chance of getting a job (and even one in my old career field!) because British employers are not as hung up about credentials as their Canadian counterparts are. Plus, the (private sector) professionalism is much higher over there than it is here.

True story. Six months after getting my Canadian citizenship I was on E.I. (the Canadian dole). Just about sums up my time this country. One day, when all this is behind me, I'll be looking at CVs at my desk. All the Canadian ones will be going in the bin.
Sorry you had such a hard time. Good luck in your move.

The comments on professionalism in Canada vs UK on this forum are interesting. My experience with working in Toronto and working with May based in other countries was different. If a meeting needed to be held on a Saturday, it was the Cdns, Australians, US, Singapore, HK that would say no problem - the English, Irish and Germans had a problem with that. Perhaps it was just the personalities but was my experience over 12 years with different people.

Anyway, good luck with your move. I hope you regain your confidence and positivity.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I live just outside Toronto and people from Toronto DO think it is the center of the universe.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

So because you had a bad experience, which could well have been your own fault, you are going to be prejudiced against all Canadians?

Last edited by colchar; Apr 3rd 2015 at 4:17 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colchar
I live just outside Toronto and people from Toronto DO think it is the center of the universe.

I stand corrected, it is people who live outside Toronto who think Torontonians think Toronto is the centre of the universe.

I lived in Toronto for over 30 years and never once thought it was centre of universe.

I also never ran down a town/city to someone who lived there - but lost count of the number of times people told me they could not stand Toronto and many said they did not like Torontonians.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tim Dart is an unknown quantity at this point

I left Canada because I didn't seem to settle in the six years I was there. Trouble is with both my mum and dad gone I don't feel at home in the UK either.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Because, let's face it folks, Britain is the centre of the universe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.