British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Why come back to Britain????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/why-come-back-britain-341751/)

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 2:18 pm

Why come back to Britain?????

I read through some of these posts about people leaving countries such as Canada, NZ or Australia to come back and live in the UK and I try to understand WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would anybody in their sane and right mind possibly want to come back to live in a place like Britain????? Apart from the crap climate, the quality of housing is dismal if you are lucky to be able to afford anything in the first place, the cost of living is wiping out incomes, the public services are an utter shambles…my wife is Brazilian and reckons that the Health Service is better in Brazil!!

As for this PATHETIC arsehole of a Labour government…they are turning the place into an Islamic State, while pandering to the needs of every other basket case country, scrounger and immigrant with a begging bowl while kicking the people that do all the damned work up the backside. Frankly I am absolutely sick to death of the place and would commit MURDER to have even the remotest possible opportunity to live in a good, organized, sensible, rational English speaking country such as Canada, Australia or NZ.

Currently I am looking at moving either to Brazil or Chile as I have options for both those countries and as soon as I am organized enough I will be off without any hesitation.

dbd33 Dec 8th 2005 2:31 pm

Re: Why come back to Britain?????

Originally Posted by eliscolin
I read through some of these posts about people leaving countries such as Canada, NZ or Australia to come back and live in the UK and I try to understand WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would anybody in their sane and right mind possibly want to come back to live in a place like Britain????? Apart from the crap climate, the quality of housing is dismal if you are lucky to be able to afford anything in the first place, the cost of living is wiping out incomes, the public services are an utter shambles…my wife is Brazilian and reckons that the Health Service is better in Brazil!!

As for this PATHETIC arsehole of a Labour government…they are turning the place into an Islamic State, while pandering to the needs of every other basket case country, scrounger and immigrant with a begging bowl while kicking the people that do all the damned work up the backside. Frankly I am absolutely sick to death of the place and would commit MURDER to have even the remotest possible opportunity to live in a good, organized, sensible, rational English speaking country such as Canada, Australia or NZ.

Currently I am looking at moving either to Brazil or Chile as I have options for both those countries and as soon as I am organized enough I will be off without any hesitation.

You do know that neither Chile nor Brazil is an English speaking country, don't you ?

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 2:43 pm

Of course I know that both those countries are not English....been there enough times and speak Portuguese and a little Spanish.

What I mean is that I would prefer English speaking countries because it is easier for work/ business etc.

Always21 Dec 8th 2005 3:11 pm

I read through some of these posts about people leaving countries such as Canada, NZ or Australia to come back and live in the UK and I try to understand WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would anybody in their sane and right mind possibly want to come back to live in a place like Britain?????

No offence, but perhaps you should read the posts again because you will find the same reasons over and over again as to why people want to move back. Family is a big one. Bigger and cheaper housing is one of the reasons a lot of us moved to different countries but most of us agree that it means nothing if you feel out of place in the culture and are missing family.

Of course we are all aware of the problems with the UK that you point out (and it's interesting to read your comment about the government turning the place into an Islamic state, as that kind of thing concerns me too) but living away from the UK helps you put everything in perspective and appreciate all of the country's good points. Again, I think you'll find this over and over again if you read the posts more.

Frankly I am absolutely sick to death of the place and would commit MURDER to have even the remotest possible opportunity to live in a good, organized, sensible, rational English speaking country such as Canada, Australia or NZ.

What a pleasant comment about committing murder.

You are looking through rose-tinted glasses with your generalisation that Canada, Australia and NZ are so organized, sensible and rational. All countries have their problems. South American countries even more so. You have heard about street children being hired to muder people, right? I fail to see how you can use the UK's social problems as reason to move to South America.

MJC Dec 8th 2005 3:15 pm

I will be off without any hesitation.

Go for it mate, to hell with the "oh I really miss my family" brigade, just do it, look forward not back, if your family love YOU they'll come to see YOU. Not the other way round!

Enjoy S. America, I'm sure you will.

Good Luck, K sent

Fitz750 Dec 8th 2005 3:40 pm

I read through some of these posts about people leaving countries such as Canada, NZ or Australia to come back and live in the UK and I try to understand WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would anybody in their sane and right mind possibly want to come back to live in a place like Britain?????

What are you waiting for if Britain is so bad.

A piece of advice though - Don't burn your bridges after all wherever you go you will be an immigrant and enjoy all the privileges that brings.

Best of luck, i think your going to need it.

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks MJC...good to know i am not the only person who thinks this way.

First I am no novice to living abroad having lived in South Africa for 20 years as well as time in Australia while I was 16, unfortunately my parents made a BIG MISTAKE and went back to South Africa in 1982 and finaly that fantastic country has gone down the plughole with the rest of Africa and I ended up back in this dump in 1993.

I travelled all over the world and looked at Europe...Spain and portugal in particular but they are heading for the same long term problems as Britain. I have been to Brazil many times and have some reservations but Chile is looking very promising. But if I had the choice that these lucky people have I would be in OZ, NZ in an instant.....they are nuts to consider leaving!!!

I met Brit after Brit that left places like SA...in the days when it was good there and places such as OZ/ NZ or Canada to go back to Britain and most ended up regretting it. In fact a collegue of mine, his parents were living in the USA and were all homesick for family....they sold up and came back to Britain and now they are SERIOUSLY regretting that choice. Within 5 weeks they went back to reconsider their options.

They have stated all the things I have mentioned....the cost of living, the overpopulation...and yes this country is heading for serious long term problems where i would rather take my chances in South America!! People just will not see beyond tomorrow...

Britain has no natural resources left and is now dependent on unstable countries for Gas/ Oil. The place is swamped by illegals, ungovernable types with poor education. Frankly Britain will NEVER compete against the new emerging Asian economies. This country is screwed in the long term with a capital S.

For those who sell up their house with pool and lifestyle in OZ/ NZ to come back to Britain... you need your head examined.

merlotsmum Dec 8th 2005 5:10 pm

Mate, the whole bloody world is screwed, just have to get over it :p

If someone wants to move to Brazil or Chile as it makes them HAPPY, well go for it, the same way as those moving back to the UK, if this makes them happy well go for it! :)

I would not let it stress you out :eek: :D I don't really care what others wants to do, their life!

LeedsGirl Dec 8th 2005 5:17 pm

For those who sell up their house with pool and lifestyle in OZ/ NZ to come back to Britain... you need your head examined.

Why would you insult people who want to return to their homeland, it doesn't affect you so what's the big deal. I have many friends back home and they wouldn't live anywhere but England. It's each to their own and a house with a pool doesn't make a lifestyle!

nethead Dec 8th 2005 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Why would you insult people who want to return to their homeland, it doesn't affect you so what's the big deal. I have many friends back home and they wouldn't live anywhere but England. It's each to their own and a house with a pool doesn't make a lifestyle!

Totally agree with Leedgirl.
I only left the Uk 5 months ago and the place the OP describes is nothing like the place I left. I wish I was back there everyday.

Annette

Manc Dec 8th 2005 5:29 pm

Frankly Britain will NEVER compete against the new emerging Asian economies.

But Brazil / Chile / Oz / NZ / Canada will?

ladyofthelake Dec 8th 2005 5:33 pm

I say go for it eliscolin, Britain doesn't need people staying there who think the place is a dump. The sooner you go, the better. You have your opinions of the place, and you are entitled to them, but also you must accept that some people will willingly move back there from around the world. In their opinion it's a great place, and they are just as entitled to think that.

MJC Dec 8th 2005 5:41 pm

yep

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Britain doesn't need people staying there who think the place is a dump.

As all the riff-raff that's coming in will make it that way soon enough

Buzzy--Bee Dec 8th 2005 5:43 pm

But if I had the choice that these lucky people have I would be in OZ, NZ in an instant.....they are nuts to consider leaving!!!

errr maybe you should read some of the posts on the NZ forum.....

Cheers

Buzzy

Manc Dec 8th 2005 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MJC
yep
As all the riff-raff that's coming in will make it that way soon enough

I hate immigrants, so I'm going to be an immigrant.

MJC Dec 8th 2005 6:49 pm

And I'm not Xenophobic - I hate everyone!!

Originally Posted by Manc
I hate immigrants, so I'm going to be an immigrant.

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 7:18 pm

To Manc.....Britain is old news. The countries of the future are those with space and plenty of natural resources. All Britain has to offer is coal and scroungers....manufacturing is dying, agriculture is dying, north sea oil and gas is dying, the infrastructure is crumbling, the NHS is running into huge debt, pensions are in crisis, illegal immigration is out of control, the entire benefits system is sucking the working man dry and Gorden Brown still comes back for more.....but the people on here that have attacked my statements are living in OZ/ NZ and are not living here in the thick of it to see it.

Business is not going to take it anymore....I work in the IT Industry much of it now being rapidly outsourced to India/ Asia because British labour is expensive and undertrained. I am in contact with clients all the time and company after company is downsizing in the new year.....this country is in trouble, but the population are only just waking up to see it.

Whereas Brazil admitted has different types of problems but there currency has strengthened massively to the pound in the last 6 months, the Sao Paulo Stock Exchange has had the best performance on record. The Agricultural sector is the second largest in the world, they have a rapidly growing IT sector and with all that they have VAST RESOURCES which grants huge self sufficiency in times of trouble. In addition South American countries are starting to work together.....there is a future here.

Britain does not have that luxury and it has long past the point than in a time of crisis (war or an oil/ energy crisis) that it would survive unscathed. Uncontrolled immigration of the wrong type is KILLING this country with many cities now looking no different to Nigeria and Pakistan....the Brits are lumped together with an alien culture that despises our very existence.....(France 3 weeks ago) is a taster of what is to come.

ladyofthelake Dec 8th 2005 7:36 pm

.....but the people on here that have attacked my statements are living in OZ/ NZ and are not living here in the thick of it to see it.

Business is not going to take it anymore....I work in the IT Industry much of it now being rapidly outsourced to India/ Asia because British labour is expensive and undertrained.

Actually the majority of us who have replied so far are in the US, where exactly the same outsourcing is occuring, illegal immigration is out of control and 43 million people can't afford healthcare. Guess it must be a dump here too. Lets all move to Brazil :rolleyes:

ladylisa Dec 8th 2005 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Actually the majority of us who have replied so far are in the US, where exactly the same outsourcing is occuring, illegal immigration is out of control and 43 million people can't afford healthcare. Guess it must be a dump here too. Lets all move to Brazil :rolleyes:

Brazil, no thanks! My OH company has a plant there are they have so much security its untrue. Numerous times there had been gunfights between security and bandits. Infact one lunchtime about 40 staff were outside having a quick smoke and along came a guy on a bicycle and held a gun to them robbed them all blind and calmly cycled off. If the poster thinks he can have a better life in Brazil then go for it. :D

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 8:12 pm

To Leedsgirl/ Lady of the Lake/nethead....I don't mean to sound insulting and its obviously your choice, but I just cannot fathom why anybody in their right mind would leave NZ/ OZ/ Canada to come back HERE? Come back to what exactly....old England with Pubs and castles?

Old England is going rapidly under a sea of new development...all being bulldozed for building new roads, Mosques, Hindu temples or subsidised housing for single mothers on benefit and the lefty do-gooders are on the verge of banning anything remotely Anglo Saxon left in this country. You laugh but many Town Councils will not put up Xmas Decorations, or send out Xmas cards with Happy Xmas in fear of offending..."The minority".

This is the type of Lunacy that is becoming common place here so be prepared for it.

Why would anybody sacrifice a fantastic lifestyle in those sparsely populated countries with a bright future which are sensibly hard to get residency in, only to end up coming back to Britain and ending up buying some overpriced Victorian dump of a terraced house for £160000 - £200000....yes this is what they cost here now and that isn't even London!

You say the house with the swimming pool isn't a lifestyle...well your lucky to even have a house never alone the pool, because for many in Britain owning a house now is a luxury from the past. I work with Graduate Programmers with excellent degrees in there late 20's who are now looking at the options abroad because all that is on offer for them in this country is some studio flat (a glorified Bedroom with a hole for a toilet and a sink for a kitchen) going for £80000 +.

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 8:16 pm

Brazil is a vast country....the far South is the best option not Sao paulo/ Rio, besides this is only an option I am considering. The place that really interests me is Chile.

ladylisa Dec 8th 2005 8:16 pm

To Leedsgirl/ Lady of the Lake/nethead....I don't mean to sound insulting and its obviously your choice, but I just cannot fathom why anybody in their right mind would leave NZ/ OZ/ Canada to come back HERE? Come back to what exactly....old England with Pubs and castles?

Old England is going rapidly under a sea of new development...all being bulldozed for building new roads, Mosques, Hindu temples or subsidised housing for single mothers on benefit and the lefty do-gooders are on the verge of banning anything remotely Anglo Saxon left in this country. You laugh but many Town Councils will not put up Xmas Decorations, or send out Xmas cards with Happy Xmas in fear of offending..."The minority".

This is the type of Lunacy that is becoming common place here so be prepared for it.

Why would anybody sacrifice a fantastic lifestyle in those sparsely populated countries with a bright future which are sensibly hard to get residency in, only to end up coming back to Britain and ending up buying some overpriced Victorian dump of a terraced house for £160000 - £200000....yes this is what they cost here now and that isn't even London!

You say the house with the swimming pool isn't a lifestyle...well your lucky to even have a house never alone the pool, because for many in Britain owning a house now is a luxury from the past. I work with Graduate Programmers with excellent degrees in there late 20's who are now looking at the options abroad because all that is on offer for them in this country is some studio flat (a glorified Bedroom with a hole for a toilet and a sink for a kitchen) going for £80000 +.

Your a right little ray of Sunshine aren't you :)

Grayling Dec 8th 2005 8:17 pm

Do you live under a bridge?

G

MrsB Dec 8th 2005 8:44 pm

If Britain is so crap, could you explain why it was voted the 6th best economy to do business with by Deloitte? (Source BBC website).

Inorder the results showed the worlds 10 best economies to do business were:
1. US
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. Denmark
5. Germany
6. UK
7. Canada
8. Japan
9. Switzerland
10. Austria

I see none of the South American countries in that list......

You mentioned the Labour government - every country has got crappy politicians etc etc, it's not just Britain you know. Aus has got JH - so what makes him any better?

BadgeIsBack Dec 8th 2005 9:09 pm

that's actually very true. Most people who bang on about how great Australia and the UK is are the ones with houses. At least with Australia, that grad with a studio can maybe get a house. In the UK, no amount of culture or museums can fix lack of space to live in which is a basic human want.

eliscolin Dec 8th 2005 9:29 pm

Ken Dodd...Because if you read what i stated in the beginning.....I asked WHY would people leave countries such as Australia/ New Zealand and Canada to come back to Britain......the only reason I am looking in South America is because I can no longer get in on the points system to ENGLISH speaking countries.

Britain maybe the sixth best country to do business in, but again if you READ what I said...that this situation is about to change and remember as well that what makes these statistics are often large corporations making billions for a board of directors and shareholders and not Joe Bloggs.

To thatsnotquietright.....exactly right. It seems like people on here have lost touch of the reality of living back in Britain.....probably to much sun, BBQ's and breathing space! The housing situation is a major problem and many people including myself have been priced off the property ladder.

If people think I am whinging about bugger all then take a closer look at sites such as Have your say on BBC and see how many people are coming a cropper because of the overpriced housing market!

merlotsmum Dec 8th 2005 9:30 pm

Feel a banning coming on here :eek:

Sleeping Beauty Dec 8th 2005 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Do you live under a bridge?

G

ive not even got to the bottom of this thread yet, but exactly what i was thinking!!

merlotsmum Dec 8th 2005 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
ive not even got to the bottom of this thread yet, but exactly what i was thinking!!

Too much confidence oooozzinng out of the OP me thinks :)

MrsB Dec 8th 2005 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Feel a banning coming on here :eek:

Yep me too!

I was just trying to post the link about the Australian property market being the most "over-valued" in the world, as in "same everywhere" but I don't think I'll bother!

Elvira Dec 8th 2005 9:49 pm

... my wife is Brazilian ........

... this ... Labour government…(is) ... pandering to the needs of every other ... immigrant with a begging bowl ......

Currently I am looking at moving either to Brazil or Chile....

Aahhh - the irony! :p

MrsB Dec 8th 2005 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Aahhh - the irony! :p

Perhaps she's homesick! :D

Blue Eyed Girl Dec 8th 2005 10:07 pm

Eliscolin,

maybe one should count ones own blessings before one starts whinging about the things one hasn't got. remember there are people all over the world that don't even have a roof over their heads to rent never mind owning the roof.
Also I think that if you want to move to south American go for it but don't start calling people who have decided that all the space and swimming pools are not for them. No country is perfect no matter what you have experience or read or seen etc..This is a forum for people who want to go back to Blighty after all. Also you should be grateful for being able to live in the uk coming from SA, some people I know are not able to get out of there likewise in Zimbabwe lets not start moaning about Britain!

dragonfly Dec 8th 2005 11:22 pm

I do have to chuckle to my self when Brits complain about immigration if Eliscolin is going to live in South America then you will be an immigrant and who is to say that the native population of that country like immigrants. No counry is perfect I am thankful that I am living in the USA but if I had to I can always return to the UK it may have problems but so has OZ,NZ,Canada and the USA . The OP complains about the state of the NHS there is problems with health care all over the world take off your rose coloured glasses and take a good look at other countries.

dunroving Dec 9th 2005 12:02 am

.....…they are turning the place into an Islamic State, while pandering to the needs of every other basket case country, scrounger and immigrant with a begging bowl while kicking the people that do all the damned work up the backside. ......

I understand someone trying to say "Look I live in the UK, and it's not a rose garden", but a lot of what you say loses its effectiveness because of your overuse of hyperbole.

Go back to the 50's and 60's. If you lived in the UK then, you'd probably be harping on about Paki's and other "Darkies" (sorry, just quoting, no offence, anyone) - 40-50 years later, people of Caribbean descent, and from India, Pakistan, Bangla Desh, etc., are pillars of the community, and great British people who have assimilated not because they "became British" but because they added their own unique spicy flavor to the culture (literally!), phenomenal work habits, and pleasant personalities - oh, and many of them are not Christians either (tut! tut!).

Go back another 50 years and you'd probably be complaining about the "working class" going on strike for more money, "stealing" what rightfully belongs to the upper-classes.

It's called "change", and nothing is going to stop it. Accepting change is something the typical expat is very good at - regardless of what direction he/she goes in. If you move to Brazil you'd better get used to it.

pdohr Dec 9th 2005 1:16 am

"…my wife is Brazilian and reckons that the Health Service is better in Brazil!!..."

OMG, you had me worried - I thought for a moment that you were talking seriously! The Brazilian population is subject to one of the world´s highest taxations (45%), however, you get almost nothing in return. Crime is exploding. Rio de Janeiro nowadays beats Bogota in violence. I live in one of the nicest areas of Copacabana and even so, I´m scared stiff of walking around after dark (during the day as well). Last week in the suburbs, a gang of thugs stopped a crowded bus, told the driver to lock the doors, poured petrol inside the bus and on the passengers and set them alight. Various passengers were burnt alive, including a 1 year old child and her mother. A couple of days ago, policemen (!) "executed" a bunch of 11 and 12-year old kids. The government is nearly at the end of their mandate and we´re still waiting for the promised "spectacle of growth". Instead, there are ever more beggars and destitutes on the streets. The immediate future looks pretty bleak here. Real estate in the most expensive areas has lost up to 50% of value due to the lack of security. Residential condominios are expanding at a rate of 60% a year, the slum areas at 130%! After 25 years here I´m desperate to leave and will fly to the UK any moment now. 5 years ago, I spent a year in Europe and had a wonderful time - had to return for family reasons. I tried to give it another "go" here. Now, I´m really ready to leave for good. If you want to come to Brazil, you´re welcome, however, if you have children, I´d really give it 2nd and 3rd thoughts! The fact that the stream of Brazilian illegals to Europe and the US has increased 4-fold during the last couple of years should make you think. The level of corruption is amazing! Ok, the UK is no paradise, but, you might find yourself "jumping from the pan into the fire"...

ShozInOz Dec 9th 2005 1:45 am

How long have you spent in Australia, NZ or Canada? Australia compares pretty equally to the UK on all of your criteria except climate, which is generally better here, but summer can be unbearable (I'd prefer a UK summer).

You cannot generalise. Many parts of the UK I would never ever live in. Same goes for Australia (except the good areas of Sydney and Melbourne). I've lived bordering on Toxteth in Liverpool. I've also lived in Bournemouth. They were totally different, much like Macquarrie Fields and Coogee here in Sydney.

Australia has changed since you were 16:
- House prices...yes you can get a good place out in Broken Hill and have it smashed up by petrol sniffers. Otherwise in Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra you need a good GBP 200K for a starter home. Oh, and you do know that Australia is the most overpriced real-estate economy in the world don't you (48% overvalued) according to the OECD. The good news is that UK comes second (35% overvalued). And we're not talking double skinned, double glazed, centrally heated (yup, you do need it) houses here - we're talking 'fibro', wood or even brick veneer...class! That'll be $550,000 please.
- Open space...yes there is lots of open space in Australia, most of it unpopulated for good reasonm.
- Overpopulation...Sydney is 4 million, Melbounre nearly the same. Not much oppen space available in between.
- Swimming pools...the legendary Aussie swimming pool! I love mine, it's about 5 ft long, 2 ft wide, and it's in my bathroom. Trouble is, it's hard to find people who can afford a house with a pool in the cities. You might in Broken Hill though...
- 'Immigrants'...check out Cronulla - a lovely, expensive beachside suburb, but watch for the regular gang clashes between white Australians and Middle-eastern gangs. http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.a...001022,00.html Not to worry too much, there will be 60 riot police on duty on Sunday. Or perhaps you could live among the regular clashese between Vietnamese and Lebanese in Wetern Suburbs.
- Government...John Howard. Enough said.
- Education...I work in it (H.E.). The quality of Australian Universities is nowhere near that of UK Universities. Many university teachers here are first and foremost English teachers - both because of poor secondary education and huge number of overseas students due to university underfunding.
- Kulture... Well I suppose each to their own. Outside of the expensive suburbs, you'd better gen up on your Fords or Holdens if you want to be kultured.
- Faiths...Australia has lots of faiths - after all we're all immigrants (except the Aboriginals). There even a Ba'hai temple in North Sydney and a big Buddhist one South. Plenty of Mosques too. You'd love it.

Here's the thing - very similar problems appear in both countries. Yup, Australia has problems! I know, I know, the tourist boards tell the Poms that we all sail to work past the great barrier reef on our way to work in our glass-bottomed yachts looking our at Ulluru in the distance, but the reality is we get a crap train to work and read the etched-into-the-windows graffiti in between the train line graffiti. Both have pros and cons, and in many ways they can't be compared because the advantages are very different.

Someone who has been here for 20 years (and a regular tripper back to the UK) summed it up for me - the main difference is weather. Australia wins on that one. Yup, that's it! Other things cancel out. Except for access to Europe/the world, and UK probably wins there (apart from all the immigrant dodging in the Chunnel, obviously). You know, I like both countries.

The trouble is, people who leave UK because of hatred often transfer that to their new country. It is a state of mind. Doing a geographical may not work. And the hatred becomes very hard to resolve if you do return to the UK after a few months/years disillusioned with the 'new life'. But you have to move to find out.

PS Leave the 'murder' bit off your application forms. It may go against you.
PPS My wife's family (half of) are Chilean. I don't have time to recite their list of reasons on why they left, or of why they migrated to the USA, or of how much better their quality of life is in the USA (despite a big drop in career status).

blairdoesntcare Dec 9th 2005 4:32 am

Very good point and I agree with everything you say about ! We moved to Oz in August, We realised that many of the people who settle in Oz are financial refugees who cant afford to live in the UK anymore. We were quite well off and had a great life in Hampshire. We will stay for a couple of years maximum - its been a great life experience and challenge one which we will never regret and the children have enjoyed it, but we now realise why England is so special - particularly the Test Valley in Hampshire.

Mike

Originally Posted by Always21
No offence, but perhaps you should read the posts again because you will find the same reasons over and over again as to why people want to move back. Family is a big one. Bigger and cheaper housing is one of the reasons a lot of us moved to different countries but most of us agree that it means nothing if you feel out of place in the culture and are missing family.

Of course we are all aware of the problems with the UK that you point out (and it's interesting to read your comment about the government turning the place into an Islamic state, as that kind of thing concerns me too) but living away from the UK helps you put everything in perspective and appreciate all of the country's good points. Again, I think you'll find this over and over again if you read the posts more.

What a pleasant comment about committing murder.

You are looking through rose-tinted glasses with your generalisation that Canada, Australia and NZ are so organized, sensible and rational. All countries have their problems. South American countries even more so. You have heard about street children being hired to muder people, right? I fail to see how you can use the UK's social problems as reason to move to South America.

MrsB Dec 9th 2005 5:21 am

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
- the main difference is weather. Australia wins on that one.

But does it win on that one?

I think that even the weather has it's downsides. Not least the fact that there is no ozone left over this side and hence one gets burnt very easily, and don't forget skin cancer. Suncream is full of goodness knows what sort of chemicals - and is it really a good idea to slap that on your children for 4 or 5 or 6 months of the year?? What are the long term effects of that? And it only stops you burning - it doesn't prevent skin cancer.

In the Sydney Morning Herald today, this article appeared and it suggests you put suncream on UNDER your clothes because the UV is so strong it goes through clothing!!!

http://smh.com.au/news/National/Wear...086790891.html

Most of the time when it's hot, my kids hibernate inside in the a/c!!

A true-to-life post! :)

Pants Dec 9th 2005 6:00 am

[QUOTE=eliscolin]Brazil is a vast country....

and incredibly corrupt....they all have there own personal paypacket don't they??the police, the judges,...I know people who have been there and I am just going with what they have said many times.!!Doesn't sound like the place many would want to live!! lets just hope your face fits..!!and if not that you have deep pockets..!!
Good luck I think you will need it...