Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What's the 'eccentricity factor' for you?

What's the 'eccentricity factor' for you?

Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the 'eccentricity factor' for you?

Ferret racing at the Cheshire Show where you can actually place a bet too.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
On a thread while back, one of things I said I missed most about the UK, was our great sense of 'eccentricity'. I'm wondering what crazy things you are/were involved with in you area. I guess for me it was being involved in this:

http://www.scuk.co.uk/

It was the perfect foil for the very serious world of motorbike racing. We had a real laugh and raised money for charity. It is a quintessential part of winter life in Somerset (and I think Devon nowadays?).

Things like the Cheese Rolling Race, Bog Snorkling, Tough Guy Race, and Bed Racing spring to mind. I love the fact that you put so much effort into doing something so daft with like minded people and yet at the same time seems 'normal. I think these activities and others like them, create a sense of community that otherwise may not have existed.

So, lets see your nutter list
Here's one for a start:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7832565.stm
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Back in your box troll boy
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

I've just found another one.

I've finally got round to joining up with Facebook. One friend invite I have received is from some feral moggy who lives in the road I grew up in. I said I was his friend as I was intrigued where this might lead. Turns out all the local moggys have their own facebook accounts.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

In Northampton we used to have an annual raft race. Anyone could enter, you just had to sign up, build a raft and hope for the best! Most people did end up swimming and pushing their rafts along as I remember, but great fun and some really wacky 'designs'.

Originally Posted by fionamw
...now BEETLE drives...there's something quintessentially daft & British but such fun...
Oooh, my daughter's old school used to have regular beetle drives, we had so much fun!

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
I've just found another one.

I've finally got round to joining up with Facebook. One friend invite I have received is from some feral moggy who lives in the road I grew up in. I said I was his friend as I was intrigued where this might lead. Turns out all the local moggys have their own facebook accounts.
I've got a one eyed dog called Max as one of my facebook friends!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a one eyed dog called Max as one of my facebook friends![/QUOTE]

I've work with a guy who has just set up a Facebook account for his dog Elvis (he doesn't have much of a life at the moment)
Maybe your one eyed doggy friend Max could be friends with Elvis if he lives in Adelaide
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
I've got a one eyed dog called Max as one of my facebook friends!
I've work with a guy who has just set up a Facebook account for his dog Elvis (he doesn't have much of a life at the moment)
Maybe your one eyed doggy friend Max could be friends with Elvis if he lives in Adelaide[/QUOTE]

Dearie dearie me.... only dogs in Adelaide good enough for Elvis? How non-PC
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

The Aussies aren't eccentric as a rule. The only eccentric people I've met here are European or American. I mean that literally. I have not met a Aussie national who is even remotely eccentric. They're either completely ordinary or they're certifiable nutters. Never just pleasingly eccentric. It's not in them.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
The Aussies aren't eccentric as a rule. . They're either completely ordinary or they're certifiable nutters. Never just pleasingly eccentric. It's not in them.