What was the final straw for you?

Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

Originally Posted by Gibbo
People who know me think I am a caring person. However, I have no sympathy with people who blame others for their mistakes. I was in UK in July and could not believe how much more expensive basic food items were than they are here. Don't know who fed you what lies, but surely you,as an adult, can separate fact from fiction.
Where were you shopping?? Harrods?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:15 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
you cannot be serious ? where did you get the info on coming to Aust every leflet ,expo, is full of it's cheeper ,better ,easier .
We never went to an expo or used an agent so we never had anyone blowing sunshine up our arse telling us it was going to be great because they were going to be paid for signing you up. Be interesting to see the variance between people who go back to the UK who 'did it all themselves' and those who used a third party (of any sort) to get here.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I'd only sell my soul for a fiddle made of Gold - Good old Charlie Daniels, I wonder what happened to him?
He emigrated to Georgia?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

you cannot be serious ? where did you get the info on coming to Aust every leflet ,expo, is full of it's cheeper ,better ,easier .

From my Aunt who has lived here for 26 years, from researching jobs and working out how much tax we'd pay on what we could earn (did the sums on the worst case scenario), looked at house prices and worked out how much mortgages would be, looked into licencing for the hubby and planned for a year with no work (luckily he starts Monday 5 months in), worked out cost of schools, food, petrol etc etc.

Basically I took an average month in the UK and listed everything, then looked at how much it would be here. Worked out about the same as a percentage.

And the good part for us is that he will be on almost twice as much as what we planned for.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Where were you shopping?? Harrods?
No, in Edinburgh!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We never went to an expo or used an agent so we never had anyone blowing sunshine up our arse telling us it was going to be great because they were going to be paid for signing you up. Be interesting to see the variance between people who go back to the UK who 'did it all themselves' and those who used a third party (of any sort) to get here.

I used an agent, but then I don't trust people anyway so had to look at it all myself
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:22 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
He emigrated to Georgia?
The DEVIL went down to Georgie - not Charlie Daniels
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:22 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just curious, but who told you it was cheaper here? I never got told it was
We went to several seminars - they all told us it was far cheaper here. Agents told us the cost of living far cheaper here. Friends of family who had moved here reported back "that you can't spend your money everything is so cheap". Someone on this forum only the other day posted a link in which the BBC reported how earnings here surpassed UK income and that things were cheaper here. Hubby being a brickie was, like many tradesmen told that there was loads of work around and they will make a fortune by Aussies visiting the UK - I wish!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wendy
From my Aunt who has lived here for 26 years, from researching jobs and working out how much tax we'd pay on what we could earn (did the sums on the worst case scenario), looked at house prices and worked out how much mortgages would be, looked into licencing for the hubby and planned for a year with no work (luckily he starts Monday 5 months in), worked out cost of schools, food, petrol etc etc.

Basically I took an average month in the UK and listed everything, then looked at how much it would be here. Worked out about the same as a percentage.

And the good part for us is that he will be on almost twice as much as what we planned for.
You forgot to add - put up with a load of shit from already ex-pats
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:24 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

i have not used a third party but as an "oz"in the uk i was asked be several and shown the litrature they were given it was mind boggling . as for someone blowing sunshine up your arse where did you source the information to decide to come to Aust. ?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by LouiseD
We went to several seminars - they all told us it was far cheaper here. Agents told us the cost of living far cheaper here. Friends of family who had moved here reported back "that you can't spend your money everything is so cheap". Someone on this forum only the other day posted a link in which the BBC reported how earnings here surpassed UK income and that things were cheaper here. Hubby being a brickie was, like many tradesmen told that there was loads of work around and they will make a fortune by Aussies visiting the UK - I wish!
Never trust anyone who's being paid to tell you it's great
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:26 pm
Banned

i have not used a third party but as an "oz"in the uk i was asked be several and shown the litrature they were given it was mind boggling . as for someone blowing sunshine up your arse where did you source the information to decide to come to Aust. ?
We (well, she) read an article on nursing by an ex-pat nurse. She said "fancy going?" I said "OK" 5 months later we had a PR Visa with no help from agents etc - did it all ourselves.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well yes, that too
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:29 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

you don't have to put up with it my old mate ..you can log off
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:30 pm
Banned

you don't have to put up with it my old mate ..you can log off
That was a private 232/Wendy joke - sorry you weren't included

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.