Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:56 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I just thought it might be good to take the level down to where you are happiest.
That's rich. It's those of us who detest sponging behaviour who are at fault

Was going to give up with this thread but, as we're still going, let's see if we can get something positive out of it.
That's better

How would you change the system in the UK to ensure there were no spongers? .
Not sure you can. Unfortunatly there are always going to be rules where loops can be found or side stepped by unscupulous people with no values. We've seen an example here of where someone can claim poverty yet at the same time be assett rich. How can you legislate for someone claiming poverty whilst all along their husband is living in their flat back in HK? I suppose the rules are based on the majority of situations and rely on people being in the main decent. How else can you manage this before you in fact penalise the majority of good people in society. In the main most people are good, law abiding citizens with values who wouldn't dream of playing these games to line their own coffers, however there are also always going to be spongers. Doesn't mean we take these people lying down though. No easy answer other than to hope people do what's right.

What is a sponger? What are the criteria I could use to identify a sponger? .
Now who's being feciceous I suspect most would say a sponger is someone who decides to live off society when they have the means to do it without relying on state handouts albeit they dress this up to claim money regardless If you have the means you should use them, not expect society to bale you out as and when it suits.

What proportion of the current benefit payments would you estimate go to spongers?
Given the majority of people are decent, I would say a very small amount. Going by your logic, this makes it right then?

There is no positive when it comes to deliberately conning the system. The only positive is for those freeloaders to understand no one condones this behavior - respect comes by playing the rules of a valued society.

That's it now...I'm bored. Your lesson is over for today fat man - despite your blindness I still you
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Not sure you can. Unfortunatly there are always going to be rules where loops can be found or side stepped by unscupulous people with no values. We've seen an example here of where someone can claim poverty yet at the same time be assett rich. How can you legislate for someone claiming poverty whilst all along their husband is living in their flat back in HK? I suppose the rules are based on the majority of situations and rely on people being in the main decent. How else can you manage this before you in fact penalise the majority of good people in society. In the main most people are good, law abiding citizens with values who wouldn't dream of playing these games to line their own coffers, however there are also always going to be spongers. Doesn't mean we take these people lying down though. No easy answer other than to hope people do what's right.
We all sponge of society to some extent. It's called a common wealth, and generally I believe it's a good thing. We use public roads to travel, rely on a public court system and law enforcement to uphold our rights and protect us, go to state-subsidized university for our education...the list is endless. In lucky countries that have universal health care, we even share the burden of looking after the ill among all of us, irrespective of their wealth. Some use more of this common wealth, others less. I don't see those who take advantage of this bounty to get themselves a PhD so they can earn more money or who are ill and require expensive medical treatment as spongers. Do you?

Now who's being feciceous I suspect most would say a sponger is someone who decides to live off society when they have the means to do it without relying on state handouts albeit they dress this up to claim money regardless If you have the means you should use them, not expect society to bale you out as and when it suits.
But we have no idea whether the OP has the ability to liquidate her capital. I'm pretty sure the powers that be will investigate this if it is necessary to determine whether she qualifies for those benefits.

Given the majority of people are decent, I would say a very small amount. Going by your logic, this makes it right then?
It's the cost of having the system since no system is perfect. But if in your estimation the number of "spongers" is low, there seems no necessity to change the system. Therefor you need to accept that some will slip through the cracks. As long as this remains a small proportion, there's little or no need to change the system and you should try not to worry about it.

There is no positive when it comes to deliberately conning the system. The only positive is for those freeloaders to understand no one condones this behavior - respect comes by playing the rules of a valued society.
You seem to have a great need for rules. That's okay, but do realize that rules are not infallible and sometimes people must break rules.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This sort of thread demonstrates the cognitive dissonance displayed by many migrants....especially to Australia.

They complain about immigrants in the UK whilst becoming an immigrant in someone else's country.

They complain about 'spongers' in the UK whilst asking how quickly they can clain family and housing benefit in Australia.....and lots will chip in to help.

...and they don't see the irony.

G
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is fairly obvious that this thread has outlived it's usefulness.