Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Cjvolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

what i want to know is why is it that you people are so rude and unhelpful?( you know who you are) The woman just wants to weight up her options not seek some free lunch on your tax Dollar/pounds.
Yes u are intitled to an oppinion but do you have to be rude and insulting about it?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

nah, i dont want to leave because everyone is at it, i dont even think the OP , is in that low, seems she will be fine, and has taken the first few of my comments as light heartedness.

I dont have alot of pride anymore, this is true, I think this country is sick and diseased with greed, and a socilaist government run by the Scots with a hidden agenda.

One thing is for sure, I wont drop my high standards due to the UK, letting immigration and the majority welfare state dropping theres, which is adding to the disease.

the couintry is choking with polution and a surging population why on earth would you want to be here in 10 years, imagine it then!!!!!!!!!!

we will have a full 20 years of CHAV culture, school uniforms will resemble football kits, and unemployment for UK born people will be around 50% as the europeans will be the only ones who can afford to work, as it will be more profitable to be on benefits..
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:45 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cjvolitan
what i want to know is why is it that you people are so rude and unhelpful?( you know who you are) The woman just wants to weight up her options not seek some free lunch on your tax Dollar/pounds.
Yes u are intitled to an oppinion but do you have to be rude and insulting about it?
Really - she has a house in HK she is not prepared to sell.
Sounds as if she is after a free lunch to me pal.
How else would you class her situation ??
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you attach the label "sponger" to this request for information or not, I think there's a lot more to get worked up about than this isolated case of potentially short-term assistance (to a UK citizen) from our hard earned tax cash.

Take just one member of my brother's ex-wife's family.

He has been on the dole since I was an undergraduate back in the mid-70's. Not paid a penny of income tax in over 30 years.

While on the dole, he has among other things worked the taxis on a regular basis, made money from fencing stolen goods, spent hundreds in counterfeit currency, made multiple fraudulent insurance claims, and sued the local council (yes, that's the organisation funded by his hard-working neighbours) for several thousand pounds for a knee injury supposedly sustained from tripping on an uneven paving slab outside his house, but which actually resulted from playing football at the local park while drunk and while his neighbours were busy working for a living. Of course, he gave it all away to his favourite charity, i.e., the local pub.

Regardless of your opinion on whether Hong Konger is entitled to benefits, is it really necessary to get so worked up and give her such a hard time? I've never claimed a penny of government assistance and don't ever expect to, but I sure as heck resent my ex brother-in-law-in-law (or is that brother-in-law twice removed?) taking WAY more than his fair share of the pie in comparison to HK getting a leg-up for a while so she can provide for her son. I hope (and expect) that she will in the years to come pay back her debt by paying into the system herself. At this point I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt rather than assume the worst of her.

Can't we all just get along?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Cjvolitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Whether you attach the label "sponger" to this request for information or not, I think there's a lot more to get worked up about than this isolated case of potentially short-term assistance (to a UK citizen) from our hard earned tax cash.

He has been on the dole since I was an undergraduate back in the mid-70's. Not paid a penny of income tax in over 30 years.

While on the dole, he has among other things worked the taxis on a regular basis, made money from fencing stolen goods, spent hundreds in counterfeit currency, made multiple fraudulent insurance claims, and sued the local council (yes, that's the organisation funded by his hard-working neighbours) for several thousand pounds for a knee injury supposedly sustained from tripping on an uneven paving slab outside his house, but which actually resulted from playing football at the local park while drunk and while his neighbours were busy working for a living. Of course, he gave it all away to his favourite charity, i.e., the local pub.

Regardless of your opinion on whether Hong Konger is entitled to benefits, is it really necessary to get so worked up and give her such a hard time? I've never claimed a penny of government assistance and don't ever expect to, but I sure as heck resent my ex brother-in-law-in-law (or is that brother-in-law twice removed?) taking WAY more than his fair share of the pie in comparison to HK getting a leg-up for a while so she can provide for her son. I hope (and expect) that she will in the years to come pay back her debt by paying into the system herself. At this point I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt rather than assume the worst of her.

Well said
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

These words just don't sit right with me "what benefits can i claim upon arrival" While I know some people do need a hand we all need to contribute to scociety,if the OP is going back to the UK she should be thinking in terms of how can I ADD-value to the UK rather than DE-value the UK.
The reason why this does not sit right with me is because the words are in the tille,the good thing is the OP is talking about working part time so there is some positive in there
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:25 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I presume you informed someone in authority of your sponging ex brother in law then?

At the end of the day, benefits are in place to help genuine hardship and those claiming it should demonstrate this and be honest in claimingsocial benefits.

The UK takes pride in helping out genuinely destitute people however spongers spoil it for everyone by depleting the coffers and deploying cash to a less worthy cause. This money could be better spent on hospitals or old age pensioners who deserve it. Instead it goes to a minority group of greedy spongers who expect sympathy whilst at the same time shafting the good people in society:curse:

BTW - genuine people in need are not spongers. They need help and they should get it. It's people who shaft the system to their own good and are proud of it who are the spongers

As for giving someone a hard time: I don't apologize for defending the stance of decent society. If more people did this perhaps social attitudes would change back to what they once were and the me,me,me society might take more responsibility for their actions.

Requiring help does not make someone a sponger. Fiddling the system due to greed is another matter.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by psb182
These words just don't sit right with me "what benefits can i claim upon arrival" While I know some people do need a hand we all need to contribute to scociety,if the OP is going back to the UK she should be thinking in terms of how can I ADD-value to the UK rather than DE-value the UK.
The reason why this does not sit right with me is because the words are in the tille,the good thing is the OP is talking about working part time so there is some positive in there
I'm with psb on this one.

I think the wording for the post is inappropriate particularly coming hot on the heels of MR/MRS PERTHFORME's difficult and tragic circumstances.

I only saw this thread yesterday and initally thought HK was returning to the UK with nothing as she said she was going to be 'single mum'. I had to read the thread plus previous posts a couple of times to realise that wasn't the case.

By HK's own admission she says she has a maid (although she hates having one), wants a council house despite having her own property and is taking money back into the UK and is happy not to have to pay tax on it.

I'm not assuming anything about her - I don't know her or all of her circumstances and it is easy to sit behind a computer screen and make judgements when somebody perhaps cannot articulate themselves correctly.

Also if you take a look back at posts on the Australia Forum, note how many people moving here ask which benefits they can get on arrival here. I remember one such post asking how soon they could get child benefit and working tax credit. The replies were that with the right type of visa CB could be applied for as soon as they stepped off the plane and the OP's reply was "Bring it On - I'll be at Centre link as soon as it opens". It cuts both ways.

I have no problem with people getting what they are entitled to at all but find it quite ironic that one of the reasons people state they are leaving Britain for are 'that immigrants are coming in and sponging off the state having not paid a penny in' (true in most cases) but will sit at home waiting for their visa whilst trying to work out how much they, as an immigrant, can get from a country where they have not paid a penny in.

Before anyone asks no I haven't actually applied for CB in the 7 months I have been here. You might think more fool me but we decided not to take money from a system we hadn't paid into until one of us was working. I still haven't got round to sorting it out despite my husband now paying taxes here for a few months.

One thing that always amazed me in the UK was that CB is a universal non-means tested benefit. Even Princess Diana could have got it

I wish the OP good luck in her endeavours to obtain employment if she decides to leave Hong Kong but I also think her husband should be supporting his child somehow as I really don't think it will be as easy as it she thinks to get benefits.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:35 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

......the good thing is the OP is talking about working part time so there is some positive in there
And the reason the OP is talking about working PT is because they have been informed they get less benefits if they work FT- and they can't claim child benefit etc if they don't work a minimum of PT hours

Whichever way we dress this up the poster is coming to UK claiming they are penniless whilst her husband isn't even going to pay maintenece for their kid. They have assets in HK which they will maintain which each year will increase as an investment property - whilst at the same time they sponge off the UK state.

If the OP came over to UK with genuinly nothing, and suffered genuine hardship then fair enough. But this isn't the case and they've admitted their intention!

If the above isn't manipulating the system or sponging then I don't know what is
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sonlymewalter;5459803]And the reason the OP is talking about working PT is because they have been informed they get less benefits if they work FT- and they can't claim child benefit etc if they don't work a minimum of PT hours

QUOTE]

I left in my 20's and not upto date on benefits but from what I hear there are ways to work the system and couldn't be arse educating myself with it as I would much rather do something constructive.
At the end of a day driving home from work you feel much better after having a very productive day than driving home after an unproductive day.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:23 am

....... At the end of a day driving home from work you feel much better after having a very productive day than driving home after an unproductive day.
Agreed
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
If the OP came over to UK with genuinly nothing, and suffered genuine hardship then fair enough. But this isn't the case and they've admitted their intention!

If the above isn't manipulating the system or sponging then I don't know what is
The OP has made 50 odd posts and yet through this you have her fully summed up. Think I've made around 7,000 or so posts on this board over the years and yet there are still plenty of secrets in the relevant pane of my Johari's window. Before you make such judgment, ask yourself whether you have the full set of facts to make such a call. Also, consider how it makes others view you when prematurely jumping to firm conclusions about others with so little factual evidence to go by.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The OP has made 50 odd posts and yet through this you have her fully summed up. Think I've made around 7,000 or so posts on this board over the years and yet there are still plenty of secrets in the relevant pane of my Johari's window. Before you make such judgment, ask yourself whether you have the full set of facts to make such a call. Also, consider how it makes others view you when prematurely jumping to firm conclusions about others with so little factual evidence to go by.
Thanks for the psychology lesson

I'm entitled to an opinion which I base on the facts as I see it, just like you are
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Thanks for the psychology lesson

I'm entitled to an opinion which I base on the facts as I see it, just like you are
Opinions are like...
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Opinions are like...
Arseholes....everyone has one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.