Very pleasantly surprised.

Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:47 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't get the anger to be honest. It just seems like an ego battle now. "I'm happy" "no you're not" "yes I am!" "well, you won't be for long!" "yes I will!" "well, you're an idiot then!"

To say that you're enjoying life back is hardly to claim that England is an idyll or that you are euphoric. I suffer from chronic pain on a daily basis so I can't remember the last time I felt euphoric. Most days are hard to be honest. But when I was in America, there were a lot of things that made life even harder - political things, cultural things and also the lack of real friends, and the distance from my family.

Since I've been home my life has become richer in so many ways. Now, while I'm still in pain, I'm also surrounded by people I love. But the things I appreciate are all the things most people already have and don't appreciate. Like last weekend I got to visit my 96 year-old nan who has Alzheimers and is in a home. I honestly used to think I wouldn't see her until she was in a pine box and yet there we were holding hands and talking. Brilliant! I took my mum away to a posh hotel for her 70th birthday a few weeks ago. Being able to do that is a real treat. Yesterday we drove 30 minutes up the road and went for a walk in the wild moorlands of North Yorkshire, then came back and cheered on Andy Murray with friends. Next weekend we're going for a 4-mile walk in the Dales and pub lunch with two of our oldest friends. And two days later we're off to a friend's wedding. I love to paint and I've been so inspired by the countryside here that I just signed up for a long-distance art degree program - something I'm genuinely excited about.

Are any of these earth-shattering? Of course not - they're quite mundane really. But they're all things I've been without for longer than I can remember, and so they give me great happiness. Unsurprisingly though, life is still not perfect. My pain is still there, it rains a lot, I still have challenging days at work, I have an annoying neighbor blah blah blah. But all in all, I find the pluses far outweigh the minuses and I couldn't say that when I lived in New York, despite the fact that from the outside my life must have looked pretty good.
Very well put Sally!
I too am looking forward to enjoying the simple things in life that I took for granted before. That is what life should be all about.
My new nephew was born yesterday and I will not meet him until next summer but it keeps my going and gives me something to look forward to!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:48 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, well said Sally. I was even accused of being too enthusiastic about our new life so I must be hiding something
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Sally, btw I also paint and first thing I am doing on returning in 3 years is to join a local art group. Could you give me a link to that art online course? and I love the post by Chris, you have truly found a nice village. I know not everyone has found great happiness on returning but it is all relative to what your expectations are or what you came from. I personally love reading the positive posts because there are enough negative ones and negative information online through newspapers and tv.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi feelbritish, here are the two online colleges I was looking at

http://www.londonartcollege.co.uk/
http://www.oca-uk.com/

I've decided to go with OCA because it seems a little more rigorous and that's what I feel I need, but the other one looks good too.

It's been hard to find local night classes around here except for quite basic ones put on by the council. There is an art group, but I think I need help as much as company. I've always wanted to study art properly so I'm quite excited to get signed up and started.

FYI, there also seem to be a lot of painting weekends/holidays that are pretty reasonably priced. For example, this place looks great but they're winding down for the year. http://www.jackbeck.co.uk/. Google around once you're back and I bet you'll find lots of options.

(Sorry for the thread detour).
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I had two surprises last Sunday.

Mowing the lawn, I hit a pile of hidden doggy doo and perfumed my mower and wellies.
In response to putting up a polite "please don't" notice quite a few nice people have come along and commented that they too have suffered the problem - so I have made friendly acquaintances out of the experience.

Walking on the footpath and staying to the side to avoid the bicycle riders, on three separate occasions the kids on bikes said "thank you".

And that is how I would describe my life in UK, lemons and lemonade.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

gypsyaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It is so encouraging to see those who have been away from "home" are really happy to be back. We have lived in Aus for more than half our lives and the last 10 years in France. No complaints about either country really as we try to blend in and enjoy the experience. However, although all our family are in Aus my husband has a great yearning to return to his homeland and at the ripe old age of 74 time is not on our side. We miss our own people, sense of humour, and culture. Aussies are very friendly and will always offer a hand to help but, with exceptions of course, you are always on the outer. Unfortunately the housing market here in France is really in the doldrums and many people who have spent a great deal of time, money and effort on creating acceptable living are having to lose heavily financially on their properties if they have to sell and more to the point, even at rock bottom prices, can't find buyers. We don't have to sell but really would like to be back in blighty before much longer. Taxes are rising quite scarily and our Aussie pension won't stretch much further to accommodate. Wish we had a crystal ball
It is interesting to note that only very few estate agents will reduce their 7% commission for selling at this point in time. We refuse to use them and are tryint to sell private but naturally there's a penalty to pay for this as you don't get the same exposure.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I can say hand on heart we are loving being back, there has been NOTHING so far to make us regret the decision. Amazingly I have seen people on here say I appear to be too enthusiastic about being back so I must be exaggerating and really I want to go back
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:16 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

We have been back for about 3mths now and one month in our own place with our own furniture & belongings in it, & despite some negative points like not knowing ones way around yet properly, still trying to fully unpack, etc I am absolutely loving it! The simplest things are a delight: church bells, picking blackberries from the hedgerows, feeding the birds...I could go on ad nauseum....

I do wonder if it's still the novelty factor, or if I've been spoiled having had the Jubilee closely followed by the Olympics showing off the UK's good points, or if I will feel the same when winter hits so I will give it some more time before I make a final declaration. I did have some good times in Australia but looking back it seems so flat and one dimensional compared to back here, or perhaps it is more accurate to say it made me feel flat and one dimensional when I was there - which is not my fault or its fault, just how things were. Some people like it better here, some like it better there; it really is that simple!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I completely agree that it`s the simple things, church bells, old buildings, unpasteurised cheese, chocolate!
I`ve been back the same length of time as you, and we have been spoilt what with all the celebrations. I thought they`d put the bunting out just for me!
I was in London last week and everybody was SO happy and nice!
Walking along the Embankment I stopped to look at a chestnut tree, gazing and smiling, I just hadnt seen one in a long while. I`ve been living in the USA, East coast. Now somebody will tell me they`re all over the place! A definite mad moment.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
We have been back for about 3mths now and one month in our own place with our own furniture & belongings in it, & despite some negative points like not knowing ones way around yet properly, still trying to fully unpack, etc I am absolutely loving it! The simplest things are a delight: church bells, picking blackberries from the hedgerows, feeding the birds...I could go on ad nauseum....

I do wonder if it's still the novelty factor, or if I've been spoiled having had the Jubilee closely followed by the Olympics showing off the UK's good points, or if I will feel the same when winter hits so I will give it some more time before I make a final declaration. I did have some good times in Australia but looking back it seems so flat and one dimensional compared to back here, or perhaps it is more accurate to say it made me feel flat and one dimensional when I was there - which is not my fault or its fault, just how things were. Some people like it better here, some like it better there; it really is that simple!
Hi Just,

I'm glad to hear your enjoying being home I wouldn't worry about winter, just think of all the extra dimensions it will add to your life.

Days when it pouring down, kids don't bother getting dressed and we all curl up on the sofa to watch a good film.

When it snows and everyones out building snowmen, even the grown ups

Really cold but sunny days, taking the dogs outs and its still green everywhere.

At least you can wrap up against the cold, theres not much you can do about 110 F here in Las Vegas.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jemima55
I completely agree that it`s the simple things, church bells, old buildings, unpasteurised cheese, chocolate!
I`ve been back the same length of time as you, and we have been spoilt what with all the celebrations. I thought they`d put the bunting out just for me!
Walking along the Embankment I stopped to look at a chestnut tree, gazing and smiling, I just hadnt seen one in a long while. I`ve been living in the USA, East coast. Now somebody will tell me they`re all over the place! A definite mad moment.
Jemima55,

You are making me so jealous and home sick. I can't wait to return home. In the meantime I keep myself busy knowing that I will get there soon
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
As for trees....I always loved Oak trees (I had never seen one up close before we left the UK) now we are back home we have loads (3 alone in our small avenue) in the area we are renting and they are just lovely to look at.....changing subject my other fav. was Owls and we have two in the area and I see them quite often at Dusk time when I am walking our dog....also Robins...we see them all the time in our back garden...I really did think I would miss the Pelicans etc but well these more than make up for them
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the Blackbird's evening song!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:07 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Life in our little village just seems to get better, I was outside working and a local wandered by, we started chatting and 5 minutes later he invited me down to the pub to buy me a pint. He introduced me to a few of the other locals and on the way back I got chatting to a bloke restoring an old chapel. I cant get over the friendliness of the locals and fail to see all the long faces and misery I was warned about.
Sounds great !!! What village is this?

cheers
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
I can say hand on heart we are loving being back, there has been NOTHING so far to make us regret the decision. Amazingly I have seen people on here say I appear to be too enthusiastic about being back so I must be exaggerating and really I want to go back
I have enjoyed your posts Chris955, they have given me some hope about returning in the coming years! :-)

Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.