Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by aviva
What is the focus?
Who am I and what am I doing here?

[Those of you who were in the US when Ross Perot ran for President may remember this opening line in the V-P debate]
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving

[Those of you who were in the US when Ross Perot ran for President may remember this opening line in the V-P debate]
I was, but don't remember. Was a victim of meandering focus even then.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I was, but don't remember. Was a victim of meandering focus even then.
James Stockdale, military hero, was chosen at rather short notice as Perot's V-P candidate. His first line in the V-P debate was as quoted earlier, and everyone laughed - but then it all went downhill from there as he really was quite clueless on politics. It was quite embarrassing and sad, because in his own sphere of experience, he was well-respected (which is why I think Perot gambled on him).

Anyway, as I said, us over-50's do meander ... this has nothing to do with healthcare. Sit me in the corner with my dunce's hat!

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 9th 2011 at 3:03 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

James Stockdale, military hero, was chosen at rather short notice as Perot's V-P candidate. His first line in the V-P debate was as quoted earlier, and everyone laughed - but then it all went downhill from there as he really was quite clueless on politics. It was quite embarrassing and sad, because in his own sphere of experience, he was well-respected (which is why I think Perot gambled on him).

Anyway, as I said, us over-50's do meander ... this has nothing to do with healthcare. Sit me in the corner with my dunce's hat!
Exactly, this thread is supposed to be about healthcare...........no chit chat please. Cute hat tho.

Last edited by aviva; Jan 9th 2011 at 3:50 pm. Reason: Gramir
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I was - can't remember, but then I can't remember what I did yesterday!!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure this has been covered here before but just in case it hasn't a little " Beware" stroy for you:

I had a lot of trouble with Blue Cross when I moved from Colorado to California. They cancelled my policy in CO as I was no longer a resident there ( fair enough ) and told me I had to renew with Blue Cross of CA because they could not do a policy transfer state to state. BUT Blue Cross of California wouldn't insure me because I had had minor back surgery 3 years previous.
Couldn't get insurance anywhere - luckily a friend of mine put me on his company insurance otherwise I'd have had no coverage.

Last edited by Englishman43; Jan 9th 2011 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I'm sure this has been covered here before but just in case it hasn't a little " Beware" stroy for you:

I had a lot of trouble with Blue Cross when I moved from Colorado to California. They cancelled my policy in CO as I was no longer a resident there ( fair enough ) and told me I had to renew with Blue Cross of CA because they could not do a policy transfer state to state. BUT Blue Cross of California wouldn't insure me because I had had minor back surgery 3 years previous.
Couldn't get insurance anywhere - luckily a friend of mine put me on his company insurance otherwise I'd have had no coverage.
Did you see in the last couple of days that "The Blues" want to raise their rates 60% in CA?
I have a huge problem with the fact that they are one of the very few groups who are national Fiscal Intermediaries and actually administer Medicare for the Government.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Did you see in the last couple of days that "The Blues" want to raise their rates 60% in CA?
I have a huge problem with the fact that they are one of the very few groups who are national Fiscal Intermediaries and actually administer Medicare for the Government.
Yes ! I'm paying my own insurance which is $400.00 a month right now. I don't know what I'll do if these rate hikes become a reality.

I could rant but ....
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Yes ! I'm paying my own insurance which is $400.00 a month right now. I don't know what I'll do if these rate hikes become a reality.

I could rant but ....
Run away....run away!
We're the lucky ones who have a choice and can.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:21 pm
Ping-ponger

Exactly, this thread is supposed to be about healthcare...........no chit chat please. Cute hat tho.
Well now I feel rightly told off. Too many grumpy old men and women around here.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I think healthcare in the U.S. is going to get far worse before it gets better, especially if the insurance companies start raising rates like this.

What do retirees have to pay every month for decent health insurance in the U.S. - if they don't want to depend on Medicare, that is?

What does Medicare cover and what doesn't it cover?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:33 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by windsong
I think healthcare in the U.S. is going to get far worse before it gets better, especially if the insurance companies start raising rates like this.

What do retirees have to pay every month for decent health insurance in the U.S. - if they don't want to depend on Medicare, that is?

I think insurance premiums for retirees can easily run above $1,000 per month, especially for a couple.

If I wasn't in a profession that takes pretty good care of health insurance (state university), I wouldn't be thinking of returning to the US - too risky. As it is, even with insurance, I used to spend a fair bit on allergy medications, etc., because of the deductibles, co-pays, minimums, and all of that fancy stuff.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong

I'm not sure but a while back I called a broker to find out what med insurance would be for a person in thier mid 60's with no previous health issues, just for my own enlightenment, was told it was between $950.00 - $1200.00 a month .
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
btw I find it sad that the main reason why so many people have to think about leaving the US is deemed too 'political' to be discussed in the main over 50s thread [sic]...even bringing up the subject is cause for her to be shunted off into a side thread. I don't get it. [sic] surely you can still see why she would feel the way she does and allow her to discuss it,just the way others discuss childhood memories or selling their house. Nuts!
I wholeheartedly agree, sally. This is a discussion forum, n'est pas? Given the logic that has been applied to the short discussion that ensued from those who empathized with Jackie's current medical financial predicament, there should be a separate thread for those experiencing difficulty selling their homes: there are extensive posts focused almost exclusively on that issue that "take up room"....or, for that matter, any other issue that is determined to deviate from whatever the MBTTUK self-appointed 'police' deem appropriate.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:10 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by poppycat
I wholeheartedly agree, sally. This is a discussion forum, n'est pas? Given the logic that has been applied to the short discussion that ensued from those who empathized with Jackie's current medical financial predicament, there should be a separate thread for those experiencing difficulty selling their homes: there are extensive posts focused almost exclusively on that issue that "take up room"....or, for that matter, any other issue that is determined to deviate from whatever the MBTTUK self-appointed 'police' deem appropriate.

Hey, I see you only have 19 posts - stirring the pot isn't allowed until you have posted at least 25 times!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.