US Dollar Cheque

Old Oct 15th 2022, 12:39 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Goonergirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 64
Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Dollar Cheque

Hi Everyone,
Even though I requested a direct deposit into a US bank account, both the state of Virginia and Capitol One have insisted on sending me a paper cheques in US dollars to my UK abode. I bank at the Nationwide Building Society, but they only accept sterling cheques. Any ideas on what I can do or who will accept these checks? Thanks for any advice!
P.S. I've tried depositing them via my US banks mobile app, but it doesn't work.
Goonergirl is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2022, 11:20 am
  #2  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: East Seaxe
Posts: 72,468
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Dollar Cheque

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
Hi Everyone,
Even though I requested a direct deposit into a US bank account, both the state of Virginia and Capitol One have insisted on sending me a paper cheques in US dollars to my UK abode. I bank at the Nationwide Building Society, but they only accept sterling cheques. Any ideas on what I can do or who will accept these checks? Thanks for any advice!
P.S. I've tried depositing them via my US banks mobile app, but it doesn't work.

I suspect there are only three things to try:

1. Open an account with a UK high street bank and go to a branch to deposit the cheques

2. Speak to your US bank and see if there is a way to deposit the cheque by physically mailing it to them

3. Attempting to get the cheques canceled and reissued as a digital payment

All sound pretty unappetising really
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2022, 6:54 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Goonergirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 64
Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Dollar Cheque

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I suspect there are only three things to try:

1. Open an account with a UK high street bank and go to a branch to deposit the cheques

2. Speak to your US bank and see if there is a way to deposit the cheque by physically mailing it to them

3. Attempting to get the cheques canceled and reissued as a digital payment

All sound pretty unappetising really
Thanks LIW for your suggestions. I think I've found a solution. I had another UK bank account that hadn't been used since 2009 with just pennies remaining in it. I thought I had cancelled it before I went to the US, but apparently not and the account is still open. They will accept the cheques if I mail them in, it will take about 28 days to clear, but that's ok. First world problem I guess, but still annoying!
Goonergirl is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2022, 7:21 am
  #4  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: East Seaxe
Posts: 72,468
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Dollar Cheque

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
Thanks LIW for your suggestions. I think I've found a solution. I had another UK bank account that hadn't been used since 2009 with just pennies remaining in it. I thought I had cancelled it before I went to the US, but apparently not and the account is still open. They will accept the cheques if I mail them in, it will take about 28 days to clear, but that's ok. First world problem I guess, but still annoying!

Well at least it's something. UK banks seem to have got extremely difficult to deal with, slow as treacle, and almost entirely managed from call centres with no particular person responsible for sorting your stuff out.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2022, 9:29 am
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Dollar Cheque

I wonder how much money organisations save due to cheques not being cashed in for one reason or another? 2015 we received cheque refunds from the BBC, DVLA and local authority - luckily our bank was happy to open a sterling account & clear them, if they hadn't been I don't know what I would have done with them.
scrubbedexpat142 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.