Upcoming Referendum

Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming Referendum

Originally Posted by Editha
It isn't just Farage. Putin, ISIS and Rupert Murdoch also support Brexit.
Putin is a classic "divide and conquer" leader so it's little surprise he supports Brexit.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

What concerns me is that joining Europe was originally for trade, but the Common Market has morphed into an ever expanding political entity. How far do they intend it to spread?
Already Turkey with its 80 million people with questionable treatment of its inhabitants is knocking on the door, and apparently in another direction there are others in the pipeline.

Unfortunately (or whichever way you want to put it), we currently have 28 countries in the EU with different cultures and languages. Some countries have no idea how to manage their finances, and believe that the rest should support them when they inevitably get into difficulties. However it means that more and more money has to be thrown into what appears to be a bottomless pit, and we are expected to contribute whatever we are told. Arguing the point achieves nothing once Brussels has decided.

I like the idea of a united Europe, but currently with millions of people on the move to make Europe their home, we are now seeing individual European countries angry with the flood. Angela Merkel made her invitation with good intent, but she didn't think it through, even her own people are now crying for her blood!

I cannot envisage our extraordinary mix of people in the EU ever working satisfactorily, and if as is mooted we are to be part of a European military, who will be the leaders? France would not want Brits having importance, and if Germany says jump, how high will our PM believe he has to spring?

I am sure on voting day I will still not know which way to go!!
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting spin on the EU . . .

The European Union always was a CIA project, as Brexiteers discover
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
What concerns me is that joining Europe was originally for trade, but the Common Market has morphed into an ever expanding political entity. How far do they intend it to spread?
Already Turkey with its 80 million people with questionable treatment of its inhabitants is knocking on the door, and apparently in another direction there are others in the pipeline.
Turkey has been trying to gain admittance for a couple of decades. It would have to make huge social and political changes to qualify. But if it met the criteria, I believe it would be beneficial to Europe for it to be a member. As for past expansion, I think the balance is in favour despite at least a couple of countries where there have clearly been large issues. Poland, for example, stands out as a success and is a hugely different place from the ex-communist "basketcase" it once was. Otoh, Romania is still mired in corruption and I strongly believe Greece - admitted earlier than the ex-communist entrants - should never have been allowed to join. It never did fulfill the criteria (ditto with its entrance into the Euro with disastrous consequences).
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I must admit, the fact that UKIP are so strongly for Brexit makes me worry, I'm loathe to get into bed with them in any way, shape or form.
That's another +1 from me
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Yup, life goes on. The US was rather small to begin with.

Turkey has knocked for a long time. One day, not soon, they may be welcome.

Unfortunately (or whichever way you want to put it), we currently have 28 countries in the EU with different cultures and languages. Some countries have no idea how to manage their finances, and believe that the rest should support them when they inevitably get into difficulties. However it means that more and more money has to be thrown into what appears to be a bottomless pit, and we are expected to contribute whatever we are told.
Firsr bold: ie. the Uk? Second bold, you do know that he Uk contribution to the EU finances is much less than 1% of the UK GDP?

I cannot envisage our extraordinary mix of people in the EU ever working satisfactorily.
But it already does.

and if as is mooted we are to be part of a European military, who will be the leaders? France would not want Brits having importance, and if Germany says jump, how high will our PM believe he has to spring?
Where TF does that come from?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And Katie Hopkins.
Really, does any more need to be said?
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

And Katie Hopkins.
With persuasive powers like that Editha, you should be in politics If ever there was a waste of space, it's her.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
That's another +1 from me
If only Cameron and his cronies weren't so desperate to stay in. I have an inherent mistrust of everything that comes out of the mouths of pigs with their snouts in the trough.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If only Cameron and his cronies weren't so desperate to stay in. I have an inherent mistrust of everything that comes out of the mouths of pigs with their snouts in the trough.
So true. It's a dilemma for sure. Hence the reason I have absolutely no bloody idea how I would vote - so good thing I can't, I suppose.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If Cameron was desperate to stay in, he would not have called a referendum in the first place. There was no necessity to do so. The referendum is about a split in the Conservative Party and Cameron's wish to cling on as leader. It was irresponsible to hold a referendum, but Cameron does not put the good of the country above his own party, or his own ambitions.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If Cameron was desperate to stay in, he would not have called a referendum in the first place. There was no necessity to do so. The referendum is about a split in the Conservative Party and Cameron's wish to cling on as leader. It was irresponsible to hold a referendum, but Cameron does not put the good of the country above his own party, or his own ambitions.
Given that he's already publicly said that he will step down before 2020 that doesn't seem a likely motivation. More likely it was about winning the 2015 General Election by making it a manifesto pledge to stop the haemorrhaging of Tory voters to UKIP. And it worked.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:30 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. But still irresponsible.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. But still irresponsible.
Depends on whether you want this issue to continue to poison British politics for another generation. To my mind the real danger is that a 'Leave' vote will lead to another Scottish independence referendum and the breakup of the UK. For no other reason than that I'll be voting 'Remain'.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

If UK exits EU what will happen to all those receiving UK OAP currently index-linked in EU. Will they be denied index-linking like the rest of pensioners in non-EU countries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.