Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Help us out here Pain, those of us who are also mulling spending at least more time in the UK if not returning full-time.

In your case do you not feel that the bulk of the "loss" for you is being away from London per se rather than the UK. When I chat with relatives and friends back in London and they complain about certain elements of life such as cost of living they simply cannot entertain the idea of leaving London as it holds out so much for them in everyday life along the lines of how you have described it.

I accept the other negatives of life in Barcelona and male chauvinism for example but if one can afford to live in London then London it should probably be but it is not really representative of life in everyday UK.

Moving to the British expat bit. Is it possible that the British expats who have migrated to Spain have mostly or more gone there for reasons other than work and they are therefore a slightly different breed from those who have headed for say, US, Oz, NZ or even France? Therefore, they might be under less pressure on the work side and are reaping the benefits of the cost savings and climate which have brought a relative to the UK.
Well Pistolpete, in part I think you have a valid point. You are right that I miss London, it's where I was born, it's where all my friends are and as my partner is an artist, it's where all the important art is, in other words, it's what I know and yes, it's what I miss. I am not sure we can afford to live there as we are struggling to sell our flat here and may have little left after dropping the price yet again, we are willing to live in a grotty area again just to be back there, but one's thing is for sure we cannot live on our savings for much longer which is what we are doing now as I lost my job 2 weeks ago. I do also miss the UK in general and have even given thought to moving outside of London just to be back in my country but I feel we have to make an effort to get back into London life first, there is more chance of work there too and I am very aware it's not the same all over the country, just as here in Spain it's much worse in the south to find work (although expat Brits with no work worries flock there in their droves). My partner's family is from Scotland and his mum still lives there and we even considered living there too, as it's a great city, it's not been discounted.

Regarding the expat Brits here in Spain, yes I've already fathomed that the bulk of those writing in this forum are living in Oz, Nz and USA where it seems all is not what they expected, strangely enough the common language has not really helped. Those types that move here are mostly in search of sunshine close to home and what used to be a cheap cost of living (certainly no longer) and most were happy to get by cleaning pools or working in bars, there's little type of that work to be had now. Those who have stayed and slag off their homeland are the ones with pensions or other income, so of course the grass is greener (well its a yucky shade of yellow mostly). The language isn't a barrier for these expats as the vast majority live in English speaking bubbles and make no effort to learn the language so quite frankly they could be anywhere, that's fine, if they are happy, I have no problem with that. It's just interesting that those who moved further afield to so called more sophisticated economies with good jobs are the ones that appear to want to move back and have not even had to learn a foreign language.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FPE88
I have not missed your point, the person posted said she is worried about returning to the UK, you then say we are a negative bunch.

We live in the UK right now, we aint making judgements from other countries, I dont care how bad spain is, im talking about UK.

People on here are just tellling you how bad it is right now, its the worst Ive ever seen not just my own profession, its gone onto NHS, Police departments, which you would never think would be cutting jobs!

If someone has no money, moving to the UK to find the solution is one hell of a risk, also there's a big line of people infront of you who have been waiting for jobs over here for months.
Okay it's bad, but it's not about you caring what's happening in Spain or not, the whole point is that if you have no work where you are you can't live on thin air so obviously you would want to look elsewhere, especially in Sergia's case as her husband is British and she's had work experience in the UK. I know all about the police cut backs, my brother is an inspector in Surrey so I'm well informed. The reality is that Spain has the highest unemployment in Europe and when jobs are to be found they pay slave labour salaries that cannot be survived on. I have to make a comparison between the two countries for this reason. Just because people have been "waiting for jobs for a few months" doesn't mean they will get the job in preference to somebody who's lived abroad, it's all about experience, personality and luck in the job finding world so I certainly won't be put off by that. What Sergia does is up to her, but she's clearly unhappy in Spain and mentioned she still has a house in the UK, which is more than a lot of people have.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
It's just interesting that those who moved further afield to so called more sophisticated economies with good jobs are the ones that appear to want to move back and have not even had to learn a foreign language.
So the demographics would seem to indicate that those who went to OZ, US etc. went to work and are typically younger and in many cases want to return due to family reasons particularly as seniors in the UK are getting older and frailer and are having a harder time of it and need help - a typical expat situation.

Funny what you say about the retirees in Spain. I hear that in the expat enclaves of France there are many who gripe at all things French, don't learn the language and don't even eat the food and harp on about jolly old UK but don't have any intention of returning, unless the funds run out.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
I have not missed your point, the person posted said she is worried about returning to the UK, you then say we are a negative bunch.

We live in the UK right now, we aint making judgements from other countries, I dont care how bad spain is, im talking about UK.

People on here are just tellling you how bad it is right now, its the worst Ive ever seen not just my own profession, its gone onto NHS, Police departments, which you would never think would be cutting jobs!

If someone has no money, moving to the UK to find the solution is one hell of a risk, also there's a big line of people infront of you who have been waiting for jobs over here for months.
You make this sound like you are worried about people coming in and getting a job over others who are "ahead" of them in the queue.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You make this sound like you are worried about people coming in and getting a job over others who are "ahead" of them in the queue.
No there's just a lot more competition.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
although I know you were not being funny !

Job markets are tough anywhere these days ,that is the crux of it .

Wish it were as simple as waiting in a queue though ...
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
although I know you were not being funny !

Job markets are tough anywhere these days ,that is the crux of it .

Wish it were as simple as waiting in a queue though ...
If only it was that simple Gab, take your ticket just like the deli and when your number comes up the job is yours.

Yes the job market is tough everywhere, it is just as "mad" for somebody coming to Australia with little money and no job, yet people do this every day.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Sergia is an unknown quantity at this point

I would stay in Spain if the work situation was better. I have been here for over 2 years and I have had 3 temporary jobs lasting few months each. I love my country and I would love to get a permanent job and stay here. I may have the wrong impression and the UK is as worse as Spain. I really don´t know what to do and think. My husband insists on going back since he does not have a permanent job either. As I mentioned in previous messages the unemployment rate in Spain is above 20% and in the UK it is about 7%. However, I may not find a teaching job as a languages teacher. HOpe things improve very soon.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Sergia is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure what to do if things don´work out back in the UK. Finding a teaching job there is tough cos the more experience you have the more expensive you get. Therefore, employers go for newly qualified teachers that can do the same job as an experienced teacher. This has happened for a long time not only at this time. At the moment I am covering for a maternity leave that finishes in April and my husband´s contract also expires in June. What can I do then? Should we go somewhere else and forget about the UK?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

insearchoflife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer
Having now made the decision to move back to the UK I feel very relaxed, determined and I have certainty that I am doing the right thing.

I am a bit scared on the job front though. Is it really as bad as the online media makes out? I can support myself for a about three months without any income.

Does anyone have any advice on this? What to do?

Can I claim unemployment benefit or other benefits when savings run out?

When I moved to NZ it was with the attitude that I would work in MacDonalds or Subway if I couldn't find a proper job but in reality I got a temporary office job within the first month and never looked back.

I personally don't know anyone who has lost their job in the UK.

Is mid forties considered old in the job market now?

Would love to hear of anybodys recent experiences in this area or plans to get a job!
Yes, the situation is pretty bad. There are no jobs in this country. I have a PhD without a job for 2 years. I am thinking of leaving this country asap.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by insearchoflife
Yes, the situation is pretty bad. There are no jobs in this country. I have a PhD without a job for 2 years. I am thinking of leaving this country asap.
You know life it what you make it in some ways. You have a PhD but have you thought of taking a job "beneath" you until something better comes along? I have 2 colleagues with degrees who are way over qualified for what they do here in Australia........

Oh and my son yesterday got another job in the UK as he quit his first as it didn't suit.

It is ridiculous to say there are NO JOBS.........
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

insearchoflife will become famous soon enough

Oh Did I say I worked for more than 5 years before being let go and unable to find a decent job. Did I say I was unemployed, I am not. Curerntly working part time where you need only A Levels. 3 friends all PhD have left for Saudi, Singapore and Australia. One Physics British uni PhD is driving a taxi in Britain unable to get a job, another doing basical clerical work.
The situatin is not only bad but its desperate in the UK. Most qualified people are getting out of here while they can. Time to leave this country.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by insearchoflife
Oh Did I say I worked for more than 5 years before being let go and unable to find a decent job. Did I say I was unemployed, I am not. Curerntly working part time where you need only A Levels. 3 friends all PhD have left for Saudi, Singapore and Australia. One Physics British uni PhD is driving a taxi in Britain unable to get a job, another doing basical clerical work.
The situatin is not only bad but its desperate in the UK. Most qualified people are getting out of here while they can. Time to leave this country.
OK no worries, makes more room for us coming back..........

BTW have you ever lived anywhere else? Mmm probably not............
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit different when you have a PHD and you are applying for academic posts. There is currently a dearth of these type of positions in the UK due to the funding cutbacks and this is likely to be the case until the increased fees come in. For example my Sister in law has a PHD in geology and has ended up in France with my brother in tow - most of the positions she was applying for were actually in the U.S.A and this was one of the only European ones. My impression is that those with science PHDs have to look abroad these days.

On the job situation - looks like it's the same as it is here in the U.S - a jobless recovery with stubbornly high unemployment. Latest news is that unemployment has gone up again (not by much though). The concern is that this has happened before the public sector job cuts that are supposed to be coming in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...nexpected-rise
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We returned to UK knowing redundancy was very likely for me (was working for my UK company overseas for 10 years). I have now been made redundant and far more are expected. My boss and his team are being 'reorganised' in another country but the impacts will be felt in UK

When we returned in August there was a lot of talk of fewer jobs...now 6 months later this has moved to real job losses. Of friends:
careers advisor- redundancy
uni administrator- in redundancy pot
housing benefits- in redundancy pot
procurement manager- redundancy

H is a plumber and the group he is working with are struggling to find work.

Of my fairly wide circle of friends, very few feel that their jobs are safe. A very worrying time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.