Tired of a shallow existence

Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:25 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Tired of a shallow existence

I feel a sense of excitement and relief that we have decided to make the move home from Houston in 1-3 years. Houston has been good to me for 8 years, but the feeling i have had growing for the last 2 is what a shallow existence i have here. Of course it is what you make it, i cycle - drive to Austin to experience some mild topography, vacation when i can afford it, but all there is to do in Houston seems to be shop, eat, visit horrendously busy zoo's and museums over and over again, then shop some more. All that whilst spending most of my day stuck in traffic, i'm tired of it.

Can you relate? I just have to leave, its time to go home. I'm from the Lake district and yes the grass is always greener on the other side, but i miss the mountains, lakes, rich culture, family at home.

I recall when i first moved here - houses so cheap, everything so cheap! No its just not true, sure the houses are cheap to buy, but the property tax and school tax just kills you. I no longer see the USA as my future.

I have a plethora of questions and details to organize to pull it off but i just wanted to share my thoughts here in here, i understand the "Rovers Return" is for such conversations!

Cheers
Old Nov 14th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tired of a shallow existence

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
I feel a sense of excitement and relief that we have decided to make the move home from Houston in 1-3 years. Houston has been good to me for 8 years, but the feeling i have had growing for the last 2 is what a shallow existence i have here. Of course it is what you make it, i cycle - drive to Austin to experience some mild topography, vacation when i can afford it, but all there is to do in Houston seems to be shop, eat, visit horrendously busy zoo's and museums over and over again, then shop some more. All that whilst spending most of my day stuck in traffic, i'm tired of it.

Can you relate? I just have to leave, its time to go home. I'm from the Lake district and yes the grass is always greener on the other side, but i miss the mountains, lakes, rich culture, family at home.

I recall when i first moved here - houses so cheap, everything so cheap! No its just not true, sure the houses are cheap to buy, but the property tax and school tax just kills you. I no longer see the USA as my future.

I have a plethora of questions and details to organize to pull it off but i just wanted to share my thoughts here in here, i understand the "Rovers Return" is for such conversations!

Cheers
Hi, welcome to BE.
Try the Moving Back to UK thread too, there is a few years of Q & A there that have covered just about all the issues that returning expats experience.
But by all means post your questions in Moving Back thread, they are likely to get the most audience viewing there.
Best wishes,
John