Ticket booked / thoughts on return

Old Apr 29th 2015, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ticket booked / thoughts on return

I was born in the US to a British mother, and I'm moving (back, I suppose, as I did spend part of my childhood in the UK) on May 29. I am graduating from university in the US in mid-May and starting a new job in London in June.

My cousin, born in the UK but moved to the US as an infant, is also planning to return to the UK later this year.

One of my best mates is a first-generation born in the US person, both his parents are from China. He intends to return to China upon graduation, his older sister has already left for China and started work in Shanghai.

Is this a coincidence or a trend? Are us, the children of those who came to America, returning in droves? Or do I just know the people who are?
Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticket booked / thoughts on return

Moving backwards and forwards is a lot cheaper in comparative terms than it used to be, A generation or so back, when you emigrated, you did not come back !
Old May 1st 2015, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about other families. My children, the eldest born in Belfast has no intention of returning. He is a professor of psychiatry at Columbia/Presbyterian NYC hospitals in NYC.
My daughter, born in Dallas, always the dreamer like me, is working on persuading her husband to get a job in the UK. He is director of IT for 42nd Street Theatres in NYC. She is a Law graduate of Yeshiva University, Cardozzo School of Law. Hates law and rescues cats......oh well....I think her hubby has had had a couple of job offers. My kids both remember fondly their annual visits to stay with grandparents. Those were the days.........
Old May 1st 2015, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Don't know about other families. My children, the eldest born in Belfast has no intention of returning. He is a professor of psychiatry at Columbia/Presbyterian NYC hospitals in NYC.
My daughter, born in Dallas, always the dreamer like me, is working on persuading her husband to get a job in the UK. He is director of IT for 42nd Street Theatres in NYC. She is a Law graduate of Yeshiva University, Cardozzo School of Law. Hates law and rescues cats......oh well....I think her hubby has had had a couple of job offers. My kids both remember fondly their annual visits to stay with grandparents. Those were the days.........
Interesting, as I'd say myself and my cousin are the two of our family here who really... don't have a solid career plan.
Old May 3rd 2015, 9:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My US born British children both moved back to UK before my Dh and I did. One right after Uni and one after graduating high school. They came with no jobs, and soon found work. Older one on a three year graduate program and the other in a pub/restaurant. and is in college full time.
Dd was to young to have a choice and moved with us.
It may well be a trend.
Old May 3rd 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't for our US born DD expressing a desire to move to the UK, we might not even have considered it. I think you are right about a trend - been seeing it elsewhere too.