Thanksgiving!!

Old Nov 25th 2014, 2:14 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving!!

Originally Posted by Janelle
We are in County Durham, having a Thanksgiving party on Saturday night for 12 people. My husband is the USC, but I enjoy a turkey dinner too. We have invited friends who have not experienced this American phenomenon before. I can't find any decorations here. Iceland has frozen turkeys and I have found an independent grocer at Northallerton which stocks Libby's pumpkin pulp. Jars of cranberry sauce are widely available in the UK now, even fresh cranberries appear in Morrisons for a short time, so it will be roughly authentic.

I enjoy the whole premise behind Thanksgiving - being thankful for family and friends and the good things in your life. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
You need to do green bean casserole and sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top

Seriously avoid those culinary disasters and make a sweet potato or pumpkin pie, they are really easy. Corn bread is easy too and makes things very North American.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 2:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We bought a flat last Friday

Strategy was simple. There was a nice little new build place I liked, I saw it last winter and the developers are now selling off the last few units at a good price, x pounds. So I set up a viewing, and I also set up a viewing of a different random development, where the price would be x+35,000 pounds. I waxed enthusiastic about the expensive place. Next morning, my wife said, let's go and put down a deposit on the cheaper place (the one I wanted.). We are off to see our solicitor this morning.
Wow, you finally did it! Good for you. Is there plenty of storage for the chainsaw?
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Wow, you finally did it! Good for you. Is there plenty of storage for the chainsaw?
Hmm ... We only have the one parking space, so I don't know where we'll keep the riding mower ... The chainsaw I know we can't bring, Air Canada don't allow them as carry ons.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 9:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Raconteur, entrepreneur, international jet-setting man of leisure with homes all over the world. Perhaps the quote from Engels should be replaced with one from.....I don't know.......maybe Roman Abramovich?

Enjoy the flat, Robin. You've earned it!
But I've always had a soft spot for Engels, one of my reasons for picking England as my next country to live in!
Old Nov 25th 2014, 9:49 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But I've always had a soft spot for Engels, one of my reasons for picking England as my next country to live in!
You'll have to live in Manchester
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:35 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by nun
You'll have to live in Manchester
Having just bought a flat in rural Norfolk, I almost immediately went into "grass is greener" mode. I was in the public library yesterday and was looking at all the Wainwright spin off books about walking in the Lake District, "Wainwright walks with kids" etc. I think Wainwright lived in Burnley. It's so flat and boring in Norfolk...
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Excellent... where did you buy?
Aylsham, "the market town of your dreams" (Tom Dyckhoff)
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We will hopefully (just) be able to fit a 5kg turkey...
A 11 pound American turkey (double breasted) produces about 4.5 pounds of meat including legs, thighs, and wings. When I lived in Europe, they didn't double breast them so there was less meat and significantly less white meat. I suspect Europe must be producing double breasted turkeys now since I believe Europe produces processed turkey and the cost would likely be too high if the turkeys weren't double breasted.

Not sure how many guests you are going to have but if you are having a buffet style dinner, all the white meat could possibly be gone before the last guests get there portions. If you have 12 people total, you might also want to have a ham that you prepared a day in advance.

For about 12 people, I normally cook up a 20-25 pound turkey just to make sure there is enough especially since most people prefer white meat.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 26th 2014 at 8:31 am.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Thanksgiving!!

I had a lovely meal and good company yesterday in Zurich at the American Women's Club Thanksgiving lunch.

On the way home my spouse met up with me and we went to collect our turkey....he took one look at it and said it would be too small, and found one weighing more than 7kg (approx 16lbs) It will only just fit into our oven but we may have to take the tips of the legs off it.

Meanwhile, in the UK this morning there has been mayhem with fights breaking out at some of the shops which have introduced the Black Friday sales....

Mayhem as Black Friday begins: Shoppers clash in supermarkets while trying to grab bargains after Boots, Game and Curry's PC world websites crash as thousands start hunt for Christmas deals | Daily Mail Online
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
On the way home my spouse met up with me and we went to collect our turkey....he took one look at it and said it would be too small, and found one weighing more than 7kg (approx 16lbs) It will only just fit into our oven but we may have to take the tips of the legs off it.
Will it fit in the roasting pan?