Taking the First Step

Old Jan 1st 2019, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking the First Step

My USC husband died nearly five years ago. My two kids are grown and have their own lives. I miss my UK family. I have applied for a senior lecturer position with the University of Gloucestershire. The role is a one year fixed term with a pay scale 38-48k/year and 37 days vacation. The university location is perfect, an easy trip to my mum in Wales and my sister in Wiltshire. My plan is to try it out for a year, and see how it goes. I will store everything here in the US, maintain my bank, and an address. I will keep my part-time online teaching job with a US university. I also have DoD survivors benefits which will continue. I am a USC. What have I missed? Will I be ok financially? I know I have to file a US tax return each year...Is there something wrong with this plan? Am I missing anything? Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking the First Step

Sounds like you are in good shape, and should be able to manage just fine on that job plus your pension. Since you are coming over for at least a year you will probably need a bank account to have your pay deposited etc. You should be able to open a basic checking account once you have proof of address in England.

While sorting out your UK bank account you may find your US credit card and ATM card very convenient to use so I would ensure you get a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Sounds like you are in good shape, and should be able to manage just fine on that job plus your pension. Since you are coming over for at least a year you will probably need a bank account to have your pay deposited etc. You should be able to open a basic checking account once you have proof of address in England.

While sorting out your UK bank account you may find your US credit card and ATM card very convenient to use so I would ensure you get a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees.
Thanks! I have USAA checking and CC and no transaction fees. I use both every time I am over, without a problem. Thanks again!

Last edited by DebzinUS; Jan 4th 2019 at 1:54 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Thanks! I have USAA checking and CC and no transaction fees. I use both every time I am over, without a problem. Thanks again!
perfect!!

You are locked and loaded and ready to go.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durham_lad

perfect!!

You are locked and loaded and ready to go.
Now I just need the job!
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:00 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Now I just need the job!
Make sure you have an up-to-date UK passport.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Any update, DebzinUs? When are you supposed to hear about the job?
Old Feb 5th 2019, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Any update, DebzinUs? When are you supposed to hear about the job?
Thanks for asking! A couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday morning, I received an e-mail that said I have been shortlisted for the position.and invited me for a 90 minute interview. Unfortunately, the interview was scheduled for Friday morning that same week. The cost of the flight the next day (Wednesday night) from Atlanta, was cost prohibitive. I asked for a Skype interview but that was denied. So this position wasn't the one, but I am heartened to know that I was shortlisted...Maybe next time!
Old Feb 11th 2019, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's a shame! Good luck for another position.