Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:05 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

As an update yesterday i finally accepted the job offer with a view to returning in May..which only leaves me 6-8 weeks to sort out everything this end (give notice at work..give notice on my house...sort out my car..my son and school) and do the same at the other end (find somewhere to live get a car find a school etc)...anyone done a quick turn around like this any tips??
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:51 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Not that quick no, but in '06 I only had 3 months, with my husband working away, to do everything in the other direction.

The only advice I have is not to sweat the small stuff. I wasted a lot of time trying to sell or find good homes for stuff I was chucking out. It would really have been easier to take it to the dump.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good points Editha.
I too spent too much time on things like that.
Ended up in my last two weeks just taking it all to the thrift shop and giving away things to friends.
If you are selling stuff, just price it low and in huge lots and make people come pick stuff up (I left things by the front door for pick up sometimes)
I don't think theres much you can do about school till you arrive. I filled out paperwork the second day here and Dd started school just three days later after a rush around to buy uniforms.
Do they have CarMax in Canada? I'd say go in with the car and they give you a price that is good for two weeks or something close to that.
We left two cars with good friends who sold them for us.
We did it all in 6 weeks after the house sold. So long as you have a place to move to in UK then you should be fine.
Find shippers (we used Rainier) and send all the stuff a few days or even a week before you move yourself.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:44 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good points Editha.
I too spent too much time on things like that.
Ended up in my last two weeks just taking it all to the thrift shop and giving away things to friends.
If you are selling stuff, just price it low and in huge lots and make people come pick stuff up (I left things by the front door for pick up sometimes)
I don't think theres much you can do about school till you arrive. I filled out paperwork the second day here and Dd started school just three days later after a rush around to buy uniforms.
Do they have CarMax in Canada? I'd say go in with the car and they give you a price that is good for two weeks or something close to that.
We left two cars with good friends who sold them for us.
We did it all in 6 weeks after the house sold. So long as you have a place to move to in UK then you should be fine.
Find shippers (we used Rainier) and send all the stuff a few days or even a week before you move yourself.
i dont really have much to sell just some electrical goods as i live in a furnished rented house...car is more of an issue as it is only 6 months old and was purchased on finance with the dealership..im just going to hand it back and give them the keys..other point is my son (which i forgotten) is too old to go to school as he is nearly 17..just about to complete grade 11 (2nd year of high school) and he has flately refused to go home
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i dont really have much to sell just some electrical goods as i live in a furnished rented house...car is more of an issue as it is only 6 months old and was purchased on finance with the dealership..im just going to hand it back and give them the keys..other point is my son (which i forgotten) is too old to go to school as he is nearly 17..just about to complete grade 11 (2nd year of high school) and he has flately refused to go home
He could go to one of the 6th form colleges and do his GCSE's he's still young enough, someone else on here has done this.
He really doesn't have much choice about the move does he, maybe he can move with the plan of if he still doesn't want to be there by the time he finishes education he can move back to Canada as an independent adult.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:13 am
Just Joined

prettyteacup is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps one thing to remember is, maybe you don't have to live in London. Lots of people in Devon commute by train to the City, I'm sure. Might be a bit overkill, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Also, I understand totally your desire to not be in the same city as your ex. But sometimes, purposefully exposing by yourself to things you'd rather avoid is the best way to desensitise yourself to them.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:14 am
Just Joined

prettyteacup is an unknown quantity at this point

* The City of London, that is. Not your ex!
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:25 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Uh oh, thats a bit of a spanner in the works, what are the chances of talking your son round? Had you spoken to him about returning before, i really hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

hmmm dont go into the dealership with your car, phone the bank you have finance with and ask to arrange a voluntary surrender.