Stages of return experience...

Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:39 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stages of return experience...

For those who have moved back to the UK after a long time away, I'm wondering if there are stages you go through after returning home?

For example, I imagine there is a frantic getting organised, finding a home, bank account etc phase... job hunting phase... possibly a sight-seeing stage... feeling like an alien stage and feeling at home stage (or not.)

Just wondering if anyone has been consciously aware of different stages they've gone through on return... how long these stages have taken... and how long it's been before they've settled back to feeling at home with roof, routine, acquaintances and a feeling of stability?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:46 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stages of return experience...

Originally Posted by brissybee
For those who have moved back to the UK after a long time away, I'm wondering if there are stages you go through after returning home?

For example, I imagine there is a frantic getting organised, finding a home, bank account etc phase... job hunting phase... possibly a sight-seeing stage... feeling like an alien stage and feeling at home stage (or not.)

Just wondering if anyone has been consciously aware of different stages they've gone through on return... how long these stages have taken... and how long it's been before they've settled back to feeling at home with roof, routine, acquaintances and a feeling of stability?
I'm just going to speak from my own experience here, but I didn't really notice any 'stages' that I went through. From the minute arrived I had everything from a home, job, bank account, NHS number, NI number etc etc all done and dusted within the first couple of weeks. I felt at home from day one, but I'd already been over last November and checked things out, which was why I knew I wanted to come back...lol I've never felt like an alien, in fact I've been treated like a local from the minute I landed and opened my mouth to ask question. lol

Now I am nearly 4 months in and I'm totally settled, working hard and paying the bills, being with friends and going out regularly to explore the countryside. : I don't think there is a sightseeing stage, because even people who have lived here all their lives still get pleasure from going somewhere new and playing 'tourist' lol

But that's just me of course... I'm sure others who have made the trip back can offer more insight as each person has their own experience of the transition. I think I've just been very lucky that things have worked out the way they have.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Have been through several stages and been backwards and forwards between some of them. I am looking forward to the penultimate stage - retirement!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

It is these 'stages' that bother me the most.
Little things like power suppliers/phone/whitegoods.

I think the 'promise everything, deliver little' is international nowadays. I will have little idea which power company would be best for my circumstances, likewise phone/internet plan.

Those are the decisions that must be taken immediately. How does one know when coming from overseas after many years?

I will need a fridge and cooker. I am bound to get an enthusiastic staffer looking for a sale. I will have little clue if this or that brand has a halfway decent reputation.

It is the utilities that really worry me though.

Any tips about this?
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:13 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Have been through several stages and been backwards and forwards between some of them. I am looking forward to the penultimate stage - retirement!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:57 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. It seems (perhaps predictably) that everyone has a different experience of these "stages" and the best thing might just to be to go with the flow as much as possible.

We will probably exhaust google in our quest to find out what service and appliance... and home... !

I suppose the alternative to committing to one of these things before we know much about them is to take out short term contracts and to rent things.

I just know it's going to seem very busy for a while!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked

I think the 'promise everything, deliver little' is international nowadays. I will have little idea which power company would be best for my circumstances, likewise phone/internet plan.

Those are the decisions that must be taken immediately. How does one know when coming from overseas after many years?

I will need a fridge and cooker. I am bound to get an enthusiastic staffer looking for a sale. I will have little clue if this or that brand has a halfway decent reputation.

Any tips about this?
Theres a web site, that a lot of people use in UK to get pointers in the right direction,
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Theres a web site, that a lot of people use in UK to get pointers in the right direction,
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
Excellent thanks! I'll take a squizz.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked

Any tips about this?
For your white goods, the internet is your friend, look at places like Argos, then look at the comments, you can get good information from there, they do seem to post every comment, good or bad.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:00 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Stages of return experience...

My daughter moved into her new home on the Isle of Wight in the Spring and I went over to help her. I had limited time there and we didn't want to drive around the island to the various electrical retailers; her only local retailer was the Co-Op and they didn't have in stock an appliance she wanted (and their in-store prices actually cost more than on the Co-Op's website!).

We found the best place was to go on the website:

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/

The good thing is that there are reviews from recent purchasers, and it is free delivery 7 days a week. Their prices were excellent too. We ordered a washing machine from them (on a Saturday night) and booked a delivery slot which was convenient for my daughter. Their customer service rep. phoned back to reconfirm delivery, then on the morning of delivery they sent a 'delivery reminder' text. It was delivered (and installed) right on time 3 days later, and a couple of hours later the customer service rep contacted us to see if we were happy with their service. Highly recommend this company

PS. I thought I'd have a problem with using my credit card as it is registered overseas (Switzerland) so I phoned them on a Saturday night. They took my order over the phone and were very helpful.

No wonder the High St. retailers are struggling tbh.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If you order a washing machine from Argos, they will, if requested, send someone with the delivery to install it, assuming the plumbing is already in place. They even remove the packaging, but do remember to remind them.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the first stage (finding somewhere to live, setting up bank accounts, utilities, mortgage, etc.) couldn't have been easier, in fact not that much more complicated than if I was doing the same in the US. It was all the subsequent stages of adjustment that took a lot more energy.

The practical stuff when you first get here is cake, compared, because it is quantifiable and logical (relatively) and predictable. A relatively small amount of researching on BE can help you to plan for it without too much complication.

The other stages of adaptation are not as expected and you never really know how long they will last. In many ways, I would say I am still adapting. At least I am past the stages that had me wondering whether I should move back to the US (I think!).
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:04 am
Ping-ponger

Have to say in the first stage, I wish I had know about the Moneysavingexpert site.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
For your white goods, the internet is your friend, look at places like Argos, then look at the comments, you can get good information from there, they do seem to post every comment, good or bad.
I'll start checking this now. Very handy to know thanks!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My daughter moved into her new home on the Isle of Wight in the Spring and I went over to help her. I had limited time there and we didn't want to drive around the island to the various electrical retailers; her only local retailer was the Co-Op and they didn't have in stock an appliance she wanted (and their in-store prices actually cost more than on the Co-Op's website!).

We found the best place was to go on the website:

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/

The good thing is that there are reviews from recent purchasers, and it is free delivery 7 days a week. Their prices were excellent too. We ordered a washing machine from them (on a Saturday night) and booked a delivery slot which was convenient for my daughter. Their customer service rep. phoned back to reconfirm delivery, then on the morning of delivery they sent a 'delivery reminder' text. It was delivered (and installed) right on time 3 days later, and a couple of hours later the customer service rep contacted us to see if we were happy with their service. Highly recommend this company

PS. I thought I'd have a problem with using my credit card as it is registered overseas (Switzerland) so I phoned them on a Saturday night. They took my order over the phone and were very helpful.

No wonder the High St. retailers are struggling tbh.
Another link to check, thanks! Such a help.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you order a washing machine from Argos, they will, if requested, send someone with the delivery to install it, assuming the plumbing is already in place. They even remove the packaging, but do remember to remind them.
Just what I would need. Getting some plugs changed is going to be a fiddle (I am going to press my Teasmade back into service!)

Wonderful stuff! Just what I was looking for!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
For me, the first stage (finding somewhere to live, setting up bank accounts, utilities, mortgage, etc.) couldn't have been easier, in fact not that much more complicated than if I was doing the same in the US. It was all the subsequent stages of adjustment that took a lot more energy.

The practical stuff when you first get here is cake, compared, because it is quantifiable and logical (relatively) and predictable. A relatively small amount of researching on BE can help you to plan for it without too much complication.

The other stages of adaptation are not as expected and you never really know how long they will last. In many ways, I would say I am still adapting. At least I am past the stages that had me wondering whether I should move back to the US (I think!).
+1, pretty much identical experience here 3 years in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.