So happy to be home

Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Default Re: So happy to be home

Originally Posted by bilbos92
Completely OT....but where in Stafford? It's my Home town and Dad (who lives up near Weston) has to send me the Staffordshire Newsletter once in a while for my sanity...still a great local paper.....I really miss roundabouts and traffic lights.....

Sorry to hear about the renters, but I bet it's glad to be home
We are at Walton on the Hill, just a few miles out of Stafford town centre, on the edge of Cannock Chase
Old Dec 21st 2011, 5:47 pm
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marietuluse
We are at Walton on the Hill, just a few miles out of Stafford town centre, on the edge of Cannock Chase
Glad you are enjoying being back home. Walton on the Hill is a a nice area not too far from Great Haywood. I still miss walking my dog over Cannock Chase and through the park at Shugborough Hall. Unfortunately couldn't afford to buy a chicken coop back in Great Haywood let alone our old house

Maybe we should have rented out our house all those years ago, but having read how your tenants left your property I would have been heart broken. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marietuluse
I'm just down the road from you - in Huntington, Cannock - also on the corner of Cannock Chase
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I'm just down the road from you - in Huntington, Cannock - also on the corner of Cannock Chase
Small world! I drive through Huntington alot to go to my mum's in Hednesford
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 2aT
Glad you are enjoying being back home. Walton on the Hill is a a nice area not too far from Great Haywood. I still miss walking my dog over Cannock Chase and through the park at Shugborough Hall. Unfortunately couldn't afford to buy a chicken coop back in Great Haywood let alone our old house

Maybe we should have rented out our house all those years ago, but having read how your tenants left your property I would have been heart broken. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
I have friends in Little Haywood and their mum lives in Great Haywood, both lovely villages.
That was our main reason for not selling up, if we came back (which we did lol) we wouldn't be able to afford the prices here in Walton again so although the house wasn't as we left it, it will be again and it's still great to be back

Merry Christmas to you too
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

I used to walk over milford common and cannock chase (seven springs) and if you saw a deer, I got so excited.....I still can't get used to seeing them strolling past the bottom of the garden

I don't suppose the "wimpy" is still there?

Have had many happy days of hednesford raceway; bangor and bomber racing, this was about as exciting as life with the ex husband (who actually went to go to Walton High School and Live in Brocton.....) so I know the area well.

I only read this part of the forum to make sure we know what to do when we plan on going home, but suddenly I feel all nostaglic..
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:57 pm
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to walk over milford common and cannock chase (seven springs) and if you saw a deer, I got so excited.....I still can't get used to seeing them strolling past the bottom of the garden

Have had many happy days of hednesford raceway; bangor and bomber racing, this was about as exciting as life with the ex husband (who actually went to go to Walton High School and Live in Brocton.....) so I know the area well.

I only read this part of the forum to make sure we know what to do when we plan on going home, but suddenly I feel all nostaglic..
I'm not sure if the 'Wimpey' is still there, you could check on google earth. The Barley Mow pub is though one of those chain themed places that are so popular now. We had lunch there the last time we were back in 2007.

We used to see loads of deer over there if you went at dusk. Our dog would always have her nose to the ground following their scent. We used to hide from her, the dog, in the tall bracken she used to look funny jumping up over the bracken trying to find us. The punch bowl and seven springs were our favourite walks over the chase.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yes the Wimpy is still there as is Hednesford Raceway! Still both going strong lol and our daughter goes to Walton High School
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

How long where you in Canada for? And can I ask what finally made you decide to go back?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JasonnJane
How long where you in Canada for? And can I ask what finally made you decide to go back?
I don't think there was one final thing that made us decide to come home, more a build up of seperate things We were in Canada for just 13 months

The main reasons for us were, my husband earned alot more money in the UK and preferred his work in the UK ( he's a plumber and has his own business here), we found it very expensive to live in Alberta compared to UK, especially things like eating out, grocery shopping, clothes.....etc with nowhere near the choice.

We were also bored, never seemed to be able to find things to do or places to go once we'd done all the main 'sights' several times, we just found Red Deer a dull place to live, compared to what we had here in the UK, I think it just came down to, we didnt realise just how good we had it here until we left, luckily we have managed to pick right up where we left off, our house is now sorted out ( no thanks to to the tenants) husband is back at work and really busy, our 15 year old daughter is happy to be back at her old school with her friends, she never really settled at the school in Red Deer and never really made the close friends she has here.
The same for me too, I think, I was very lonely and missed having friends to just call up and meet for a coffee or pop round for a chat

So, we like to look on it as, we did something we always said we would like to do, made the most of it whilst we were there, happy that we did it, haven't really lost anything by doing it, it was an adventure, like a long holiday.....but we are all very happy to be back home
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marietuluse

Im glad you have settled back in to life in the UK, I am going to be in the same position next year:-).

We would have been away approx 2 years when we go back and the kids would have missed 2 school years.

Like yourself we will go back to our house we rented out and one of my children will go back to the school and class she left last year. The other will have moved to High School.

I am slightly worried because I am aware that it wont be exactly how we left it and we might find it hard it fit in again.

Doesn't sound like thats happened to you and your family, so glad. Hopefully it will be the same for us as well.

Probably like yourself I've found living away not all its cracked up to be and the biggest lesson I have learnt, is how happy I was at home and didn't even realise it
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Hi Marietuluse

Im glad you have settled back in to life in the UK, I am going to be in the same position next year:-).

We would have been away approx 2 years when we go back and the kids would have missed 2 school years.

Like yourself we will go back to our house we rented out and one of my children will go back to the school and class she left last year. The other will have moved to High School.

I am slightly worried because I am aware that it wont be exactly how we left it and we might find it hard it fit in again.

Doesn't sound like thats happened to you and your family, so glad. Hopefully it will be the same for us as well.

Probably like yourself I've found living away not all its cracked up to be and the biggest lesson I have learnt, is how happy I was at home and didn't even realise it

Exactly our feelings

I hope your move goes well

Our daughter has settled right back into school, taking a few after school classes just to catch up in a few subjects but she's much happier here.

And, even as I sit here in a near empty house, still awaiting the arrival of our furniture, that Tippett/Richardson assured us would arrive on 4th December! A storm raging outside and Jeremy Kyle on the TV! I'm still happy to be here too
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

We have now been back for 5 weeks, woken up this morning to blue skies and sunshine over Stafford the garden covered with birds, the cat not quite knowing what to do with them all, after 13 months of virtually no bird activity in Red Deer!

Meeting a friend for coffee today at the new Costa that has opened ( although I have to admit I miss Timmys and as yet have not managed to get a decent coffee anywhere) Off out with our best friends for a curry tonight - the 6th curry in 5 weeks can't get enough of them after a year of 'Canadian' curries

Had a lovely chat and catch up last night with a really good friend I met through Expats whilst we were both in Canada, Cumbrian Lass, arranging our big weekend get together in March, A lovely lady and friend for life

Also meeting up next week with another lovely friend who I met in Canada, her husband and mine worked together here in UK a few years ago and then met by chance, working together on the same site in Red Deer, they moved out to Canada the same time as us and came back the same time! We didn't meet them until a few months before we had all made the decision to leave but we only live half an hour away from each other and have stayed in touch.

So all in all, we met some lovely people, both English and Canadian who we will always be friends with, had a lovely experience, especially our summer trip last year to Forks Washington ( for the Twilight fans in the family lol) driving through and stopping off in BC, and on to a stay in Seattle before staying in Forks, something we would probably never have done from the UK?
But equally happy to be jetting off to Tuscany this year for a fraction of the price
Still happy to be home
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I totally agree with you there,in all areas. I too made a lovely friend of you,which i am so excited to meet up with you soon.

We were in Sylvan Lake for 10yrs and i really dont know how we lasted so long.We were bored to death and nothing was reasonably priced,although it was when we first arrived in Canada 10yrs ago. We found the price of groceries unbelievalbe and the overall cost of living. We have been back in the UK since August 2011 and cannot believe how cheap things are,and so much variety. Including trips abroad.
We have already been to the Canary Islands,and had a trip to Edinburgh to bring in the new year....which was AMAZING! never heard a soul celebrate in Canada,although we did have parties,but they dont know how to celebrate like us BRITS! We are unbelievably happy back here.......yes the country might be in a bit of a mess but hey if you have a job and are getting by and happy HOW CARES
Houses might be smaller,but less to clean !!!! We will eventually build our own house to our liking. I think some places are run down and dull,but it all depends on where you live. We live in an absolutly beautiful part of the country,with far more to do and see than we ever had in Sylvan lake. We live 15mins drive from lake Windermere.We can go walking through the woods without fear of being eatten by a bear or the dog getting quilled by a porcupine...........its total HEAVEN
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Kendal sounds like a gorgeous place to live. It's a shame it's so far from London for work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.