Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955
Look I really dont care that you have a problem with me, that is your issue, if it helps you sleep to try and have a go at me thats great. I said I didnt get that from the Daily Mail, if you choose to ignore that again that is your issue. Please dont bring your nonsense into this thread.
I think you should look further back in postings to see if I have an issue with you or not. The answer was not, but now you may have just changed that.

There's a link to the Daily Mail source in the opening post of that thread, and you didn't provide your alternative source as asked for in post 12 of that thread. It's the only way I can view it right now.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I think you should look further back in postings to see if I have an issue with you or not. The answer was not, but now you may have just changed that.

There's a link to the Daily Mail source in the opening post of that thread, and you didn't provide your alternative source as asked for in post 12 of that thread. It's the only way I can view it right now.
Im sorry, I am clearly thinking of someone else. Please accept my apology.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:12 pm
Banned

PennyA will become famous soon enough

Don't come back. I can't wait to get out!
Perhaps a negative view.. Really depends where you are here, but I'm worried for the future of Britain
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PennyA
Perhaps a negative view.. Really depends where you are here, but I'm worried for the future of Britain
Your view is valid FOR YOU. Many others clearly dont hold the same view but it is valid for you personally. I have no fears for the future of country. I think if you live in a horrible area it can cloud your judgement and of course that applies anywhere.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Come now RM! If you didn't have an issue, you wouldn't have come to this thread not to discuss the topic, but to discuss the comment of another about the topic!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Location, Location, Location - very important when choosing where to live in any country.

I've just returned from a 3 week visit to the UK, (which I love and will be returning to in 5 months

Firstly, I visited my town of birth and where my parents still live. In a nut shell it is just like your father described. High unemployment, shops closed everywhere and racial tension. The tension is kept in the living room with lots of people moaning and voting for UKIP. I really thought I'd walked onto the set of shameless. But it was a dump before I left as well.

Secondly, I went to a large town, near a major city, fantastic out of town shopping center, completely packed, so there most be jobs and money available. This area has a very large Asian and muslin community, there are racial tensions, again mainly kept to the living rooms and voting UKIP.

Thirdly, visited small town, shops open, very clean, all friends have jobs, housing costs reasonable. Lovely cricket ground, nice pubs, schools fantastic. No talk of racial tensions but area is very white with hardly any minorities.

Lots of people comment about the Daily Mail, but on a serious note I do believe it is playing a major role in causing racial tension. It has most days stories about a minority person being a criminal, lazy layabout, abusing the benefits/NHS. It has many people believing that the UK would be fantastic if it wasn't for the 'immigrants'.

Your Dad isn't incorrect in what he says completely, as there areas that fit that description, but thats not everýwhere, so make sure you research where you want to settle.

Every 1st world country has the same problems, we of all people know that moving to a county doesn't make your life automatically better or worst. Its how you live your day to day life in that country that counts.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Come now RM! If you didn't have an issue, you wouldn't have come to this thread not to discuss the topic, but to discuss the comment of another about the topic!
You do make a good point.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PennyA
It probably is a negative view, but from your standpoint it's a perfectly valid one.
The thing is Penny, that the pov of many here is based on their standpoint also, and that is-that the alternative is not the solution to all ills that it is so much promoted to be.

The UK warts and all is preferable to me because I have a negative view of where I am now.
We are not all trying for nirvana as such, but for something better than what we currently experience. If you choose to do the same, then good luck to you.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Location, Location, Location - very important when choosing where to live in any country.

I've just returned from a 3 week visit to the UK, (which I love and will be returning to in 5 months

Firstly, I visited my town of birth and where my parents still live. In a nut shell it is just like your father described. High unemployment, shops closed everywhere and racial tension. The tension is kept in the living room with lots of people moaning and voting for UKIP. I really thought I'd walked onto the set of shameless. But it was a dump before I left as well.

Secondly, I went to a large town, near a major city, fantastic out of town shopping center, completely packed, so there most be jobs and money available. This area has a very large Asian and muslin community, there are racial tensions, again mainly kept to the living rooms and voting UKIP.

Thirdly, visited small town, shops open, very clean, all friends have jobs, housing costs reasonable. Lovely cricket ground, nice pubs, schools fantastic. No talk of racial tensions but area is very white with hardly any minorities.

Lots of people comment about the Daily Mail, but on a serious note I do believe it is playing a major role in causing racial tension. It has most days stories about a minority person being a criminal, lazy layabout, abusing the benefits/NHS. It has many people believing that the UK would be fantastic if it wasn't for the 'immigrants'.

Your Dad isn't incorrect in what he says completely, as there areas that fit that description, but thats not everýwhere, so make sure you research where you want to settle.

Every 1st world country has the same problems, we of all people know that moving to a county doesn't make your life automatically better or worst. Its how you live your day to day life in that country that counts.
Nicely put!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think the title and subject of the thread I linked to is very much related to the subject of this thread. The poster was making all positive comments about the UK here, but forgot to mention the negative thread that he started recently elsewhere on these forums.

Just something else to weigh up in the given subject of this thread.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the title and subject of the thread I linked to is very much related to the subject of this thread. The poster was making all positive comments about the UK here, but forgot to mention the negative thread that he started recently elsewhere on these forums.

Just something else to weigh up in the given subject of this thread.
I was responding to what you said, not what the other poster said.
I'll stick with it I reckon!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:16 pm
Banned

It probably is a negative view, but from your standpoint it's a perfectly valid one.
The thing is Penny, that the pov of many here is based on their standpoint also, and that is-that the alternative is not the solution to all ills that it is so much promoted to be.

The UK warts and all is preferable to me because I have a negative view of where I am now.
We are not all trying for nirvana as such, but for something better than what we currently experience. If you choose to do the same, then good luck to you.
I wish we could like posts on this forum, very very well put. I dont by any stretch of the imagination think of the UK as perfect, nowhere is, but it just offers us as a family so much more. For others going the other direction gives them what they want.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was responding to what you said, not what the other poster said.
I'll stick with it I reckon!
Ok, however you did exactly the same as you're saying that I did.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, however you did exactly the same as you're saying that I did.
No. What I'm saying is that you are doing what you say you are not doing and I am saying that you are doing what you are doing and I am only commenting on what you are doing, rather than what you say you are doing, which is not what you are doing at all.

..........................which statement makes about enough damn sense as what you ave writ !!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

No.
Yes.
What I'm saying is that you are doing what you say you are not doing and I am saying that you are doing what you are doing and I am only commenting on what you are doing, rather than what you say you are doing, which is not what you are doing at all.
In that case, you are wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.