Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK after many years

Returning to the UK after many years

Old Mar 2nd 2021, 2:24 pm
  #16  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 60,446
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I have only been to Lynn once. I took the bus there, and stayed overnight at a lovely b&b. So, two intensive days of sightseeing. I was absolutely blown away by the town, it is amazing and beautiful.. even after the powers-that-be demolished a lot of the ancient centre and replaced it with boring post-war “shopping precinct.” Two of the most gorgeous and unique churches in Norfolk (and Norfolk has more medieval churches per square mile than anywhere else in the world.) There’s a very fine museum, it’s one of those museums that you spend two or three hours in, leave because you can’t take any more, determined to revisit another day - because you saw only a fraction of what’s in there. The customs house is lovely (seventeenth century I think?) I found one of those really good east European restaurants where I got a massive plate of ham, egg & chips and an excellent mug of strong tea, all for very little money. The town has lovely parks, medieval ruins, lots more. Very good train service. Property at all price levels. Economy a bit sluggish, the usual problems associated with that.

As always, Norwich is a great place to live.

That sounds encouraging. Egg and chips.

And London is an easy reach. Going cross country westwards seems more problematic. To go to Liverpool, for example, they seem to want you to go via London.

Do you do any outdoorish things? The OH is into things like camping and canoeing, and was eyeing the rivers/fens etc for the canoe part of that at least.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 3:05 pm
  #17  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 12,044
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That sounds encouraging. Egg and chips.

And London is an easy reach. Going cross country westwards seems more problematic. To go to Liverpool, for example, they seem to want you to go via London.

Do you do any outdoorish things? The OH is into things like camping and canoeing, and was eyeing the rivers/fens etc for the canoe part of that at least.
Kings Lynn formerly had good railway links in all directions, pre-Beeching. Now, just one line, up to London. But, there is an excellent hourly train service from Norwich to Liverpool, run by East Midland. We’ve used it a couple of times, to go to Manchester and Liverpool. Excellent, comfortable train, going through beautiful parts of England. (And Sheffield, as an added bonus.)

Anyway, this service stops at Ely. Ely is only 35 minutes from Lynn by train, nearly 30 trains per day. So you could easily book through there. BUT via London would be a quicker journey time, since there are really fast trains from London to Liverpool. Given the choice, I’d definitely take the cross-country route via Ely, since you just cross the platform to change trains, whereas in London .. well, you know the deal there.

Yeah, I walk and I cycle. I’d say Norfolk is absolutely first-class for both of those. Terrain is “rolling” rather than “****ing steep” like other parts of England I’ve lived in. Knee and hip-wise, “rolling” is good. Country lanes are superb for cycling in Norfolk, very little traffic. I’m pretty sure the broads are good for canoeing and kayaking, I haven’t done it myself. Just get him to read the relevant Swallows and Amazon novels first (Coot Club, Big Six.)
robin1234 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 5:02 pm
  #18  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 60,446
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Kings Lynn formerly had good railway links in all directions, pre-Beeching. Now, just one line, up to London. But, there is an excellent hourly train service from Norwich to Liverpool, run by East Midland. We’ve used it a couple of times, to go to Manchester and Liverpool. Excellent, comfortable train, going through beautiful parts of England. (And Sheffield, as an added bonus.)

Anyway, this service stops at Ely. Ely is only 35 minutes from Lynn by train, nearly 30 trains per day. So you could easily book through there. BUT via London would be a quicker journey time, since there are really fast trains from London to Liverpool. Given the choice, I’d definitely take the cross-country route via Ely, since you just cross the platform to change trains, whereas in London .. well, you know the deal there.

Yeah, I walk and I cycle. I’d say Norfolk is absolutely first-class for both of those. Terrain is “rolling” rather than “****ing steep” like other parts of England I’ve lived in. Knee and hip-wise, “rolling” is good. Country lanes are superb for cycling in Norfolk, very little traffic. I’m pretty sure the broads are good for canoeing and kayaking, I haven’t done it myself. Just get him to read the relevant Swallows and Amazon novels first (Coot Club, Big Six.)

Thank you, very helpful. His probably a paid up member of the Coot Club (he's English too). Ely looks like nice as well, but not as close to the sea of course. After so many years in the Midwest, being closer to the edges appeals.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:13 pm
  #19  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 12,044
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Thank you, very helpful. His probably a paid up member of the Coot Club (he's English too). Ely looks like nice as well, but not as close to the sea of course. After so many years in the Midwest, being closer to the edges appeals.
Ely’s not bad, but property prices are adversely effected by being just 20 minutes from Cambridge by train. Cambridge is unaffordable for most people so they’ll commute in from Newmarket, Ely, places like that. (Seventy-eight trains a day, apparently, each way, which seems weird, since I remember waiting on the platform interminably..)
robin1234 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 3:18 pm
  #20  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 60,446
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Ely’s not bad, but property prices are adversely effected by being just 20 minutes from Cambridge by train. Cambridge is unaffordable for most people so they’ll commute in from Newmarket, Ely, places like that. (Seventy-eight trains a day, apparently, each way, which seems weird, since I remember waiting on the platform interminably..)
No trains for hours, and then 78 come at once.

I noticed that about Ely prices. I'm into cathedral cities. It seems to keep life going, with a good town center, visitors, etc., as well as picturesque.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 4:13 pm
  #21  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 36,938
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm into cathedral cities. It seems to keep life going, with a good town center, visitors, etc., as well as picturesque.
Not Norfolk but there's always Salisbury. I understand it's quite a popular tourist attraction with Russian 'civilians'
“Our friends had been suggesting for a long time that we visit this wonderful town,”
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 5:53 am
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 9,707
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Dr Beeching. I have a wax doll in his image iun which I daily stick pins. he destroyed the railways.
scot47 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 10:30 am
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,700
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I would be interested in any more Norfolk impressions. We are looking at the area ourselves. What is Kings Lynn like, for example? Or Norwich itself, come to that. I would like to find somewhere that isn't exclusively a place for retired people, but is a little more diverse than that.
I really liked Norwich, large enough for all your needs but not to large and has a nice small city vibe. You have the coast nearby and lots of countryside on your doorstep plus it tends to have less wet days (as your on the east side of the country)we did consider living there ourselves. Salisbury is lovely as is Chichester and Winchester. I suppose it depends on your finances, Country or Coast, North or South near amenities etc.
brits1 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 10:36 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,700
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It was and still is an expensive area. To say Bramhall, Stockport gives the wrong impression...more Bramhall, Cheshire.
Bramhall is technically in the borough of Stockport and hence your in Greater Manchester historically it was in Cheshire , you have to go to say Poynton or Wilmslow to actually be in Cheshire (East) and not in gtr Manchester or Stockport.
brits1 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 10:50 am
  #25  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 84,558
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Bramhall is technically in the borough of Stockport and hence your in Greater Manchester historically it was in Cheshire , you have to go to say Poynton or Wilmslow to actually be in Cheshire (East) and not in gtr Manchester or Stockport.
It maybe a borough of Stockport but it is in Cheshire, as is Stockport.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 11:04 am
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,700
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It maybe a borough of Stockport but it is in Cheshire, as is Stockport.
Sorry double posted..really it use to be Cheshire but it is actually in the borough of Greater Manchester County....it's like Manchester use to be in Lancashire but now it's in the County of Manchester historically it was in Lancashire.
brits1 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 11:31 am
  #27  
Overkill is underrated
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,293
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
And London is an easy reach. Going cross country westwards seems more problematic. To go to Liverpool, for example, they seem to want you to go via London.
There's a train from Norwich direct to Liverpool via Manchester every hour that takes around 5.5hrs.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Mar 4th 2021 at 11:34 am.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 4:20 pm
  #28  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 60,446
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Not Norfolk but there's always Salisbury. I understand it's quite a popular tourist attraction with Russian 'civilians'

My parents retired nearish to Salisbury so I know the area. Probably quite expensive now though. It is pretty and the cathedral is spectacular.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 4:21 pm
  #29  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 60,446
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
There's a train from Norwich direct to Liverpool via Manchester every hour that takes around 5.5hrs.

Totally doable, thanks. I'm not wedded to travel to Liverpool really, just looking at how to get around the country from various places if you aren't in or near London.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 4:22 pm
  #30  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 60,446
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after many years

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
I really liked Norwich, large enough for all your needs but not to large and has a nice small city vibe. You have the coast nearby and lots of countryside on your doorstep plus it tends to have less wet days (as your on the east side of the country)we did consider living there ourselves. Salisbury is lovely as is Chichester and Winchester. I suppose it depends on your finances, Country or Coast, North or South near amenities etc.
We'll check out Norwich. The south is probably right out, in terms of budget. My sister lives in Winchester, but she organised her life differently....
Lion in Winter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.