Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Reconnecting with friends - hard or easy ?

Reconnecting with friends - hard or easy ?

Old Feb 28th 2016, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reconnecting with friends - hard or easy ?

I returned to England many times after originally leaving in 1960, and was never able to find any of my former friends. I suppose they moved on as I did, perhaps even living in Oz the same as me. However in 2007 I decided to look for a German friend I had known in South Devon in 1958 when she was an au pair, she was then a single teenager, however despite getting married and changing her surname, I tracked her down via a number of towns and addresses in Germany, and we resumed our friendship. My search wasn't easy, and although a German journalist wanted the story, my friend said she was too private for the publicity. She has a lovely family, though her husband would love to see the UK fall apart. To him we are Little Britain!!

Last edited by aries; Feb 28th 2016 at 9:20 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:57 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I look at some people who are still in the same place where they went to school and I think...."WTF ?"
I don't get this. I genuinely don't understand why people do this.

Everyone has a 'daily round' of some sort do they not ? Even people who live overseas.

Why do some expats go back to just to quietly sneer at those who were/are happy with their lot and didn't feel the need to emigrate ?

I can't stand this view of, 'I'm better than you/my life is better than yours because I emigrated.' Load of old pony and trap IMO.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:02 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I returned to England many times after originally leaving in 1960, and was never able to find any of my former friends. I suppose they moved on as I did, perhaps even living in Oz the same as me. However in 2007 I decided to look for a German friend I had known in South Devon in 1958 when she was an au pair, she was then a single teenager, however despite getting married and changing her surname, I tracked her down via a number of towns and addresses in Germany, and we resumed our friendship. My search wasn't easy, and although a German journalist wanted the story, my friend said she was too private for the publicity. She has a lovely family, though her husband would love to see the UK fall apart. To him we are Little Britain!!
That's a really nice story. I'm glad you managed to regain contact with your friend.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I don't get this. I genuinely don't understand why people do this.

Everyone has a 'daily round' of some sort do they not ? Even people who live overseas.

Why do some expats go back to just to quietly sneer at those who were/are happy with their lot and didn't feel the need to emigrate ?

I can't stand this view of, 'I'm better than you/my life is better than yours because I emigrated.' Load of old pony and trap IMO.
I wish I had been able to stay in one place all my life. Living in Devon now, I envy the people in my community who have spent their entire lives here. I wish I had what they have.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I found that when I returned to the UK after I was out of the UK for 5 years in my 20's, I had changed quite a bit. I had traveled the world, started my own company, was making good money etc... and they were largely in the same place as when I left... there's nothing wrong with that, but I sensed resentment from some of them.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:53 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I wish I had been able to stay in one place all my life. Living in Devon now, I envy the people in my community who have spent their entire lives here. I wish I had what they have.
I agree, wish I had been sufficiently settled to not have felt the need to move
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I agree, wish I had been sufficiently settled to not have felt the need to move
+1. Although I would never have met the OH if I hadn't moved to the US. It was worth it just for that - but it is easy to envy that feeling of stability. I have to say without facebook, I doubt I would have been able to find all my old friends, having been away for 30+ years. It may be a superficial way of communicating, but it is better than nothing. And I think it will make it easier to reconnect in person when we go back to live.