Psychoanalyze me, will you?

Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:39 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: Psychoanalyze me, will you?

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Thanks. All I can really say is just take it slow on your arrival in Britain. Be patient with yourself (this is probably rich coming from me !).

You might not be in the mood for humour right now but sometimes I am reminded of the line from the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy says to her dog Toto, 'suddenly we're not in Kansas anymore'. (Yes I realise you're not from Kansas, but still.)
I'm ALWAYS in the mood for humour!

And feeling like I'm not here anymore, but over there, will, I hope, be a wonderful thing!

BTW, "Snapshot" was my nickname long ago...I was a Pro Photographer and someone cleverly started calling me that when I was a young rookie. Luckily it didn't hang on as my career advanced....

Last edited by sile; Jun 10th 2013 at 2:42 am.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:56 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
BTW, "Snapshot" was my nickname long ago...I was a Pro Photographer and someone cleverly started calling me that when I was a young rookie. Luckily it didn't hang on as my career advanced....
Nice one ! My screen name is snapshot as what I write is snapshot of what I feel or think at the time of writing. This means I can contradict myself whenever I feel like it !

Good luck. Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end. That is something I need to remind myself of regularly too.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

... What can you tell me about Wirral and why do you suggest it?
Well, I'm familiar with it, it's home.

Wirral was listed in a recent survey as the fourth best place in Britain to raise a family. It's always good to get involved with families, even those not your own. It's relatively inexpensive, the people are friendly and open, (but you get all types everywhere in the world). It's not a problem to strike up a meaningful conversation in a pub or shop. North Wales is an easy drive for fabulous scenery and quaint touristy villages. Merseyrail is halfway decent and has the best on time record of any British train operator. London is in easy reach for a day trip and affordable (but only if you book in advance to buy the cheapie).

I seriously looked at Hoylake, but I'm retired. Somewhere near a motorway (perhaps Frodsham?) is probably better if you are going to need to earn a living.

You can live fairly well and cheaply while you get settled, moving up market later if things are working out. Surf at http://www.rightmove.co.uk/
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Nah, don't go with the forever thing, go with the "Wow what an adventure!" attitude. You don't HAVE to stay forever - but you might. You don't HAVE to even like it, but you might. You have nothing to lose by moving and as others have said you can always move on if it stops being an adventure! It took me 20 yrs to feel homesick so you never know, you might have those feelings or you might not - it might be immediate, it might happen down the track or it may never happen at all. Go with the adventure!!!
+1
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Really good thoughts here. It really p****s me off that this fear thing has to show up and I really want to just "feel the fear and do it anyway." I just have to think, "what's the worst that can happen?" and go from there.
You asked for psychoanalysis and so I'd say your post reads as if you are not in control (the fear visits you, rather than you allow fear to visit itself on you).

You can't change your situation or your decision, but you can change your attitude and mind-set towards it. Accept that it is normal to go through a range of emotions so that when it happens you just say Oh, there's that anxiety thing again and accept it rather than allowing yourself to get wound up about it.

Doing so may reduce the anxiety. Even posting this thread almost feeds into the problem - just accept it, don't over-think it, focus on what's important and move on. Just do it rather than thinking and posting about it.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:27 pm
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Nice one ! My screen name is snapshot as what I write is snapshot of what I feel or think at the time of writing. This means I can contradict myself whenever I feel like it !

Good luck. Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end. That is something I need to remind myself of regularly too.

Like your thinking Snapshot! Contradiction is most definitely a woman's prerogative, ha ha! (Sorry, had too much wine, not Guinness, at this point, no one should drink and post!)

Sile, do it soon, do it now!! You know you really want to have this adventure in your heart of hearts, that's what I get from your posts.
Best, bestest and even better good wishes zooming their way to you!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The title of your thread is 'Psychoanalyze Me' but you get angry and hurt when people talk to you straight.

This pattern has been going on for months if not years.

What more can anyone say?

You need to visit or make the move with a way back.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see why sile should be attacked every time she asks for advice. I don't think it matters if she's asked a million questions for the last 10 years - if it irritates you so much, please have the self-discipline to just ignore.

Sile, I would look at it from another perspective - what would you leave behind? Risking anything by going? And, yes, there are MANY people who up and go somewhere they have never been to before (my OH for one, when he worked in international development, and he loved every experience).
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Sile, it's simple to me anyway... just do it and if doesn't work out you can always come back to US. Don't over-analyze..
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

No, I have not been there at all.

BTW, my sympathies on the loss of your sister. I read that on another thread. I know how awful that is, having lost my sister a few years ago.
Thank you for your sympathies, it is difficult to cope with someone close to my age has gone.

As for your wish to move to the UK, it would seem that you have a sense of adventure, but not the extra strength to put it in action.

I was aged 22 when I went by ship to Australia, and although I have a sister there, the move was extremely big in my life. However it was something I needed to do, so I did it. I have also lived in Germany and visited a number of times, again something I needed to do, so it was done.

For you to take the next step in your big adventure takes courage, there is much unknown for you, but take the plunge. Book a flight to make it definite and head for our islands off the coast of Europe. Constant analysis will give you more concerns and doubts, and you will end up not doing anything.

We don't always make good decisions in our lives, I've made plenty of bad ones and survived, so if you find things difficult in the UK, review your options and return home if need be.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

A phrase just came to mind - "Paralysis by analysis"

Obviously your decision isn't to be taken lightly, but as I think someone else said, What's the worst that could happen? I guess you might realise that the UK isn't all you thought it was and you miss the US. Then you go back home ... as someone who has bounced back and forth (with a dog) and wouldn't recommend it as a lifetime practice, you have to give things a go sometimes and once you make the decision, don't second-guess yourself.

Paralysis by analysis ... stop analysing.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Obviously your decision isn't to be taken lightly, but as I think someone else said, What's the worst that could happen? I guess you might realise that the UK isn't all you thought it was and you miss the US. Then you go back home ... as someone who has bounced back and forth (with a dog) and wouldn't recommend it as a lifetime practice, you have to give things a go sometimes and once you make the decision, don't second-guess yourself.

Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I really don't see why sile should be attacked every time she asks for advice. I don't think it matters if she's asked a million questions for the last 10 years - if it irritates you so much, please have the self-discipline to just ignore.

Sile, I would look at it from another perspective - what would you leave behind? Risking anything by going? And, yes, there are MANY people who up and go somewhere they have never been to before (my OH for one, when he worked in international development, and he loved every experience).
Who is 'attacking' her?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:19 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving

It might not surprise you to know that many years ago I had an email address that included the word "overanalyzer".

I have a habit of ruminating over so much in my life. So, you've certainly seen the main problem.... In fact, I have just recently printed out some posters that address this..."If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives"..."Overthinking ruins you..."Let your dreams be bigger than your fears and your actions louder than your words"
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool

Thanks so much for your supportive post. I do wonder why some people just can't go past my posts if they don't get it or have anything good to say.

I would be leaving nothing behind and the only risk would be not liking it and having to go through moving back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.