Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

There is an interesting read about expats moving overseas. It is in the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...this-hard.html
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, any flooding your way or is all on the telly??
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
There is an interesting read about expats moving overseas. It is in the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...this-hard.html
Hi Cheers - Living in Thailand, as I did became intolerable- not only from the heat! . The British Exchange rate into Bahts, changed dramatically from 1,000 Pounds = 71,000 bahts down to 41,000 bahts in just three years ( it would not have changed so much, had they have continued to pay my annual increments). So I can see how true those comments are. Don
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Cheers - Living in Thailand, as I did became intolerable- not only from the heat! . The British Exchange rate into Bahts, changed dramatically from 1,000 Pounds = 71,000 bahts down to 41,000 bahts in just three years ( it would not have changed so much, had they have continued to pay my annual increments). So I can see how true those comments are. Don
Interesting - at 42% loss in value that's slightly more than what sterling lost against the AUD which is around 40% at the moment. When you look at it like this - losing all this value against such a broad basket of currencies you realise what trouble the UK economy is in, in a way people in the UK maybe don't see.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Zen10, when are you thinking of moving back to the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:40 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Zen10, when are you thinking of moving back to the UK?
It's not something I can plan really. My personal desire is to stay in Australia but I know dividing my parents from their grandchildren is not something I can live with indefinitely, so I guess at some point we will go back, but probably temporarily. What about you?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I`m back, so`s my son, living in the family home we rented out for five years. Came back at the end of May in sad circumstances, my sister died. My husband is currently doing battle with the removals company in the USA. We were on our way back anyway.
I think my life has fitted what John Lennon said about "Life is what happens when you`re busy making other plans".
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jemima55
I`m back, so`s my son, living in the family home we rented out for five years. Came back at the end of May in sad circumstances, my sister died. My husband is currently doing battle with the removals company in the USA. We were on our way back anyway.
I think my life has fitted what John Lennon said about "Life is what happens when you`re busy making other plans".
I second that. One of my favourite Lennon songs as well!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was quite surprised about Morrisey sounding off about the Olympics. Maybe he`s just sour that another "national treasure", the Queen, stole his thunder.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I've noticed during the Olympics that British men are very interested in the women's beach volleyball games. Could that replace football as the national sport
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I've noticed during the Olympics that British men are very interested in the women's beach volleyball games. Could that replace football as the national sport
Ive noticed in the womens running at the olympics they all now are wearing skimpy bikinis instead of T-Shirt and shorts, much like the women's volleyball, Hmmmmm interesting,
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Interesting - at 42% loss in value that's slightly more than what sterling lost against the AUD which is around 40% at the moment. When you look at it like this - losing all this value against such a broad basket of currencies you realise what trouble the UK economy is in, in a way people in the UK maybe don't see.
Hi Zen,
You know its interesting to me that the GBP has maintained roughly the same exchange rate to USD for many years, like around £1 = $1.55 U.S.
but in other world currencies as you say have lost a lot of value,
but I do remember way back in the 80's one GBP was worth $2.55,
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Zen,
You know its interesting to me that the GBP has maintained roughly the same exchange rate to USD for many years, like around £1 = $1.55 U.S.
but in other world currencies as you say have lost a lot of value,
but I do remember way back in the 80's one GBP was worth $2.55,
Hi Jasper

More bad news today with regards to UK growth forecasts so probably another slide en route for GBP! - Yes a pound used to get $3 AUD once upon a time as well...
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well Cheers! ---
Just to quote myself - things are looking up, for those venturing to Thailand! The £1,000 is now is now fetching slightly more Bahts, @ 47,000. Don
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

heelan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good evening all,

I have taken 6 weeks to read through all your postings and have been very
touched by some of your messages. I have returned to my country of birth
at the age of 57 for very similar reasons to most of you. Right now I am thinking more of your 2011 post which were vey warm and welcoming. I
cannot give you any practical information on returning to the UK as my
personal situation is different to a lot of yous, however some of the emotional
issues you have brought up in various discussions have really hit home with me.

You have a wonderful thread and it has been a pleasure reading it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.