Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:08 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Be very careful, or you will have us all wondering why, so many are coming home back to the dreary UK! ( Have to blame the Gov for this weather.)
I love the weather so far. The gray days just make a day like today (blue sky, whispy clouds, bright sunshine) feel like a treasured gift. I took days like this for granted in America, but not any more.

Plus, later this week it's going to be in the 90s in New York. I am so grateful I don't have to deal with that anymore!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Yup, I hated the humidity in Washington, and the days when the air was like soup and it was hard to breathe so the aircon had to be on all the time.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
(and everybody drives around in Cadillacs)

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Sally - did you participate or spectate? Either way I bet it was a ton of fun. I had a garage sale this weekend. The sale went well, but it was freezing.
Great! You are on the way now. Keep sorting, keep selling. When you sell the car, you KNOW you are leaving. If you live in town in the UK, you can manage on shanks' pony + public transport.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:42 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Great! You are on the way now. Keep sorting, keep selling. When you sell the car, you KNOW you are leaving. If you live in town in the UK, you can manage on shanks' pony + public transport.
A chap came to look at our dining room table and bought a bunch of other stuff,as he was leaving he asked if we had a lawn mower for sale, so we took him into the garage to look at it. As soon as he walked into the garage he asked if the car was for sale and he ended up buying that too.

I had a lady in from the consignment store, so worst case, what doesn't sell will go there. It feels great to be getting rid of stuff.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

ehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant future

re the car, that's how I felt - no turning back now!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ehl250
re the car, that's how I felt - no turning back now!
When I sold my car, I was SO depressed, as I knew, like you did, that there was no turning back. I thought of all the miles I had travelled up and down the US, all the places and experiences I had had, and realised how much of my life was tied up in those 4 wheels. It is not the same using the bus here! But a whole lot cheaper.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I love the weather so far. The gray days just make a day like today (blue sky, whispy clouds, bright sunshine) feel like a treasured gift. I took days like this for granted in America, but not any more.

Plus, later this week it's going to be in the 90s in New York. I am so grateful I don't have to deal with that anymore!
Yes......I got really lucky while I was there......slept like a top (where did we get that expression from). My daughter is so excited I am going back. My children's happiest memories are long cool summers at my parents summer house on 100 acres across from the beach and a freezing Irish Sea. They learnt to water ski (in wet suits) precious memories for them now. Sadly the purchasers from my parent's estate have let the Edwardian house become derelict but have rehbbed the cottages See www.lurganconaryfarms.com. My brother Brian Doherty has written an article on the web site. My son wept openly when he visited with his partner last year. It was our holiday home since 1955 until 2000.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

When I sold my car, I was SO depressed, as I knew, like you did, that there was no turning back. I thought of all the miles I had travelled up and down the US, all the places and experiences I had had, and realised how much of my life was tied up in those 4 wheels. It is not the same using the bus here! But a whole lot cheaper.
Don't want to sell my car either. Don't want to drive in Belfast My brother said i will be lost without one.....I told him no worries. I think he is worried I may want to "borrow" his Murano (auto) or Fiat sports car (never......couldnt get in or out)!!!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:54 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes......I got really lucky while I was there......slept like a top (where did we get that expression from). My daughter is so excited I am going back. My children's happiest memories are long cool summers at my parents summer house on 100 acres across from the beach and a freezing Irish Sea. They learnt to water ski (in wet suits) precious memories for them now. Sadly the purchasers from my parent's estate have let the Edwardian house become derelict but have rehbbed the cottages See www.lurganconaryfarms.com. My brother Brian Doherty has written an article on the web site. My son wept openly when he visited with his partner last year. It was our holiday home since 1955 until 2000.
Lovely cottages. I might have to bookmark that site for a possible walking holiday. I have never been to NI or any part of Ireland, but as my gran grew up in Ballybofey, I plan to visit someday. Can't wait. Thanks for posting this link.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:59 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Don't want to sell my car either. Don't want to drive in Belfast My brother said i will be lost without one.....I told him no worries. I think he is worried I may want to "borrow" his Murano (auto) or Fiat sports car (never......couldnt get in or out)!!!
I am not looking forward to driving in Scotland, but I plan on taking some driving lessons, so I hope that will improve my level of confidence. If not, then it will be the village bus for me.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Lovely cottages. I might have to bookmark that site for a possible walking holiday. I have never been to NI or any part of Ireland, but as my gran grew up in Ballybofey, I plan to visit someday. Can't wait. Thanks for posting this link.
Thank you for visiting the site :-!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Lovely cottages and what a beautiful location...now I am homesick !!!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:31 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My children's happiest memories are long cool summers at my parents summer house on 100 acres across from the beach and a freezing Irish Sea. They learnt to water ski (in wet suits) precious memories for them now. Sadly the purchasers from my parent's estate have let the Edwardian house become derelict but have rehbbed the cottages See www.lurganconaryfarms.com. My brother Brian Doherty has written an article on the web site. My son wept openly when he visited with his partner last year. It was our holiday home since 1955 until 2000.
Wow, you're posh!

Beautiful place. On the website it says the old house is to be restored, so maybe you'll get to see it one day

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jun 19th 2012 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow, you're posh!

Beautiful place. On the website it says the old house is to be restored, so maybe you'll get to see it one day
That would be so lovely. My brother tells me the owners are now divorced and the house is boarded up with a tall chain link fence surrounding the house as some of the plaster ceilings have collapsed. It is inhabited by bats.
Not posh....just lucky ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.