Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Galala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Welcome Galala and keep us posted on this adventure! So many people on here do indeed have similar lives and situations, so you'll find a warm and understanding welcome! Do you want to tell us more, for example to you have somewhere to live lined up, and so on?

Tina
Sorry, I have only just seen your reply! Better late than never I suppose. I'm not used to the site yet, at least that's my excuse. Thanks so much for your welcome.

I don't have a place to live or much else that's definite other than the fact that I'm going back to university for a master's. It's a two year course, part time, so I'll have a lot of spare time. I was so excited at first but now all I can think about are the things that go wrong and how much I will miss everyone and all my home comforts that I've built up over the past 39 years! I'm beginning to wonder if I should go at all. I can't sleep for worrying. Don't know if it's normal or not to be so anxious. I'd feel different if I could take husband but he can't retire yet. It's the living alone part that's really getting to me. Thanks for listening!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I looked at Sile's old posts and seems he/she is American but has Irish ancestry so can get an Irish passport on the strength of that, see how everybody just loves our Motherland.
Hi Barb,
Well yes now it makes a little sense, I didn't read any other or Siles posts so didn't understand,
But are you sure that an American can get an Irish Passport just by having Irish Ancestors? ----- I mean half of Americans seem to have either U.K. or Irish Ancestors, in that case they could all Immigrate to Ireland
Now I could understand if Sile had a Father or Mother or Brother or Sister who was born in Ireland then one of those close blood relatives could sponsor her for Immigration into Ireland, but it wouldn't get her an Irish passport for quite a few years until she could apply for Irish Citizenship,
Simular to the American rules,
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb,
Well yes now it makes a little sense, I didn't read any other or Siles posts so didn't understand,
But are you sure that an American can get an Irish Passport just by having Irish Ancestors? ----- I mean half of Americans seem to have either U.K. or Irish Ancestors, in that case they could all Immigrate to Ireland
Now I could understand if Sile had a Father or Mother or Brother or Sister who was born in Ireland then one of those close blood relatives could sponsor her for Immigration into Ireland, but it wouldn't get her an Irish passport for quite a few years until she could apply for Irish Citizenship,
Simular to the American rules,
Rodney, I also thought it had to be a parent - in fact I went into Belfast today to get a copy of my birth certificate so that my daughter might apply for citizenship. Glorious weather today, the teenager next door to my brother's house is lying out in her bikini!! It is so good to be here again.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Hi there. I read your post and I was wondering if you'd mind sharing a little about what it is that you know that the UK and Europe have to offer?

I am considering a move to either the UK or Ireland and I have not been to either place, so I love to hear the things that draw people to go back.
Hi Sile,

Where do I start? I have a long list of reasons, but I'll try to keep it brief.
I have always missed the landscape, the architecture and the sense of humour (which translates into the people). I miss the banter with friends and total strangers. I love the scale of the UK where you can have different experiences and not have to travel too far. You can be in the hills in the morning and on the coast in the afternoon. I love all the the different textures that you see in the landscape and the architecture - dry stone walls, red & honey sandstone buildings etc.

I love the history and spending a rainy day inside a museum, going for a cuppa and a cheese scone in a little tearoom where strangers will chat to each other. Just recently, we were in Edinburgh and spent the afternoon in the National Museum of Scotland and I didn't see even half of what I wanted to see. A good excuse for another trip in the future.

We love to go walking, in the cities, countryside and along the beaches. There is some great walking close to where I currently live, but as it is the habitat for bears and cougars, I don't feel comfortable walking in the mountains. At least in the UK I know to avoid the pubs at closing time, in the towns and cities, if I want to avoid the local wildlife. LOL

As for Europe, similar to my feelings about Britain. Beautiful architecture and lovely landscapes, great food, wine and a sense of history. I hope to go walking in the Alps one of these days. There is so much to discover.

If you do make the trip to the UK and visit a cathedral city, then I highly, recommend attending an Evensong service. You don't have to be religious to appreciated this experience. It is just a lovely experience to listen the choir (usually a boys choir) singing and being seated in a beautiful building. We then head off to a cozy pub for a bite to eat and drink.

Are you planning to go for a holiday or a permanent move?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Galala
Sorry, I have only just seen your reply! Better late than never I suppose. I'm not used to the site yet, at least that's my excuse. Thanks so much for your welcome.

I don't have a place to live or much else that's definite other than the fact that I'm going back to university for a master's. It's a two year course, part time, so I'll have a lot of spare time. I was so excited at first but now all I can think about are the things that go wrong and how much I will miss everyone and all my home comforts that I've built up over the past 39 years! I'm beginning to wonder if I should go at all. I can't sleep for worrying. Don't know if it's normal or not to be so anxious. I'd feel different if I could take husband but he can't retire yet. It's the living alone part that's really getting to me. Thanks for listening!
Hi Galala, thanks for this--goodness what an adventure! I think it is absolutely normal to be anxious and nervous--on the eve of even a short trip anywhere, for purely pleasure reasons, I always wonder why on earth I am doing it! YOur will be a huge change--and after many years, by the sound of it, of status quo.

YES, go! I admire you (and envy you a tad!) immensely...a shame you can't take your husband, but you are lucky if he is supporting your going and the enforced separation--which I'm sure will be hard for both....but...it all sounds exciting! Thanks for telling us and keep us posted..

tina
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Have been away for a bit--Easter in UK--oh I think I mentioned that, it was chilly! but lovely to be there.

Then came back and immediately fell ill with a horrible flu. Better now though, thank goodness.

Sally so good to hear you, hubby and cats got back ok and are settling in and happy! lovely to hear.

Welcome to the new posters--as beedubya said, we support each other, love to hear stories of new members and support them in their journey--whether the design-making or the actual journey! Or, if the time is not right for them to go back home, never mind, they can talk about it, get the longing out of their systems!

Charley, I like wood pigeons too--especially their call which means "home" to me--though my mother says they are pests and don't let small birds get bread she puts out! Thanks for news re Trotty....

tina
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

BTW, I had the horrible flu as well. This is the last time I tell myself I dont need a flu shot! Took a good three weeks to get over.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:45 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Just a quick update to say things are great. I can't tell you how great this place is so I'll just post some photos and let you see for yourselves....

http://fingerrollsandfoldingchairs.w...-to-the-river/

Today I walked up to the castle. This castle is the place where the murderers of Thomas becket escaped to and hid out. No kidding! it was rainy and I got wet but who cares when you're in the presence of history like that.

We went over to see the house we have rented for the next year and it's lovely. I wish I didn't have to leave Knaresborough, but it's a great house so we're very happy. And the owner of this holiday let we're in really wants us as neighbours, so she's promised to look out for houses for sale in the area, so who knows, we may be back a few years from now.

We've had a few hitches - my work computer is stuck in customs and a few other bits and bobs have gone wrong, but you expect nonsense when you make a big move, so we're not letting it phase us.

This weekend we're going into York to buy comfy shoes (we're walking a lot more here) and warm clothes (it's COLD!). Tomorrow my mum and brother are coming to visit for the evening. And our friends are all asking to see us as soon as we've settled in. Two good friends sent a wonderful care package today that was labelled 'Emergency care for repatriated refugees from the colonies." inside were all kinds of English goodies - Yorkshire Tea, chocolate bars, sweets, cat food, cat toys, English mugs, crisps etc etc. It was amazing to go through it all and see the care that went into it. I feel like the luckiest person alive. Truly.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 18th 2012 at 8:49 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:14 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hi guys,

Just a quick update to say things are great. I can't tell you how great this place is so I'll just post some photos and let you see for yourselves....

Today I walked up to the castle. This castle is the place where the murderers of Thomas becket escaped to and hid out. No kidding! it was rainy and I got wet but who cares when you're in the presence of history like that.

We went over to see the house we have rented for the next year and it's lovely. I wish I didn't have to leave Knaresborough, but it's a great house so we're very happy. And the owner of this holiday let we're in really wants us as neighbours, so she's promised to look out for houses for sale in the area, so who knows, we may be back a few years from now.

We've had a few hitches - my work computer is stuck in customs and a few other bits and bobs have gone wrong, but you expect nonsense when you make a big move, so we're not letting it phase us.

This weekend we're going into York to buy comfy shoes (we're walking a lot more here) and warm clothes (it's COLD!). Tomorrow my mum and brother are coming to visit for the evening. And our friends are all asking to see us as soon as we've settled in. Two good friends sent a wonderful care package today that was labelled 'Emergency care for repatriated refugees from the colonies." inside were all kinds of English goodies - Yorkshire Tea, chocolate bars, sweets, cat food, cat toys, English mugs, crisps etc etc. It was amazing to go through it all and see the care that went into it. I feel like the luckiest person alive. Truly.
Sally what a nice read.So glad you are having the time of your life.You deserve it!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, you really pile it on Imagine being able to walk in the rain again. I didn't know you had another place already that you'd be moving to. What town is that in? When I find out I will look it up right away.
Sorry about the computer. Did they treat you alright on the plane. Virgin Airways?

Cheers-ducks
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hi guys,

Thanks for the update Sally, everything sounds great, Good for you, The pics on your site are awesome, a great place to live... Keeping enjoying yourself...
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Sally....

Am so happy for you, hubby and the kitties!

And the photos....LOVELY, SIMPLY LOVELY!!! What else can I say!!

The 'Care Package'....what a wonderful idea for those returning from the 'colonies'...

Be well, take care and enjoy this most memorable new/old chapter/journey in your life. Nothing like going 'Home' I say, because 'Home' is where the heart is.

Chris
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely photos, Sally. No wonder you love being back home .
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sally this is wonderful for you, so so happy!
I still cant believe you are back actually, just seems yesterday you were here saying you want to but hubby didnt... time flies doesnt it.
Fish I think of you lots and hope you make it!
Tina I would like to meet you one day! If you get over this way let me know. We can have tea and watch the pigeons. They are huge the ones in my garden..
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Tina I would like to meet you one day! If you get over this way let me know. We can have tea and watch the pigeons. They are huge the ones in my garden..
Ah bless, Charley! Ditto...I don't often go anywhere near Leicester, but....you never know! You've given me a reason....

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.