British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

sallysimmons Apr 24th 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9323325)
Hi Rodney,
Its just called summer time when the clocks are moved forward, but its not actually summer yet its still Spring, ..lol. The weather has been lovely, although to be honest the humidity is getting to me a bit, not used to it having lived in the desert most of my life. Also the lack of A/C is something I am trying to get used to..I guess its something I just took for granted in Vegas...
Hope everyone is well..
Jackie..:)

You can get AC units there - my in-laws got one. But then they said it was too noisy and too cold so they took it back :lol:

aries Apr 25th 2011 1:14 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9323518)
You can get AC units there - my in-laws got one. But then they said it was too noisy and too cold so they took it back :lol:

I couldn't cope without my AC, and it isn't noisy at all. Would they be more expensive to run for heat than other means in England? Reverse cycle is for heat and cold.

I'm also concerned that when I move back to England, there will not be fly doors, or even screens on windows. It seems archaic to allow flies and wasps inside, especially in kitchens. I especially dislike spiders, I can imagine them constantly giving me the heebie jeebies. Many years ago living in a big old house in Adelaide, a big one dropped from the ceiling onto my face when I was asleep . . . :eek:

sallysimmons Apr 25th 2011 1:44 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9324086)
I couldn't cope without my AC, and it isn't noisy at all.

Our units are noisy. Perhaps you have central air? We have window units and they're pretty loud - but I just think that's the price you pay for being cool. My in-laws weren't up for it at all.

But do you need AC when the temperature barely gets above 70? I only need it here when we get into the high 80s, low 90s. That's extremely rare in the UK.

aries Apr 25th 2011 2:49 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9324127)
Our units are noisy. Perhaps you have central air? We have window units and they're pretty loud - but I just think that's the price you pay for being cool. My in-laws weren't up for it at all.

But do you need AC when the temperature barely gets above 70? I only need it here when we get into the high 80s, low 90s. That's extremely rare in the UK.

I used to have a wall unit (similar to your window type), but now have a Panasonic split-system reverse-cycle inverter unit with the motor outside. I don't use it for cool air until the temperature reaches 30º C or more (about 86º F), and that can be frequently in the summer where I live in South Australia. In the winter I use it for heating.

But as for needing one in England, I had wondered if the heating component would be better and provide fresher air than radiators.

cheers Apr 25th 2011 3:03 am

I couldn't cope without my AC, and it isn't noisy at all. Would they be more expensive to run for heat than other means in England? Reverse cycle is for heat and cold.

I'm also concerned that when I move back to England, there will not be fly doors, or even screens on windows. It seems archaic to allow flies and wasps inside, especially in kitchens. I especially dislike spiders, I can imagine them constantly giving me the heebie jeebies. Many years ago living in a big old house in Adelaide, a big one dropped from the ceiling onto my face when I was asleep . . . :eek:

This is brought up on another thread that I'm on and Americans in England have written as to were you can buy them locally.
Missing American window screens? Get stick-on screens from Lidl (Lidl nacho cheese is good too!) http://bit.ly/fGPEuA
Missing American window screens? Get stick-on screens from Lidl (Lidl nacho cheese is good too!) ... See original: Missing American window screens? Get stick-on screens from Lidl (Lidl nacho cheese is good too!) ...

Beedubya Apr 25th 2011 5:09 am

I think you are forgetting that insect life is NOTHING like Australia here in the UK, no need for fly screens when you have one little fly buzzing around the light bulb and one daddy long legs in the bath............:lol:

Beedubya Apr 25th 2011 5:13 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9324183)
This is brought up on another thread that I'm on and Americans in England have written as to were you can buy them locally.
Missing American window screens? Get stick-on screens from Lidl (Lidl nacho cheese is good too!) http://bit.ly/fGPEuA
Missing American window screens? Get stick-on screens from Lidl (Lidl nacho cheese is good too!) ... See original: Missing American window screens? Get stick-on screens from Lidl (Lidl nacho cheese is good too!) ...

Wow what a lot of whingers!!! ;)

Somebody complaining that they HAD to have a fly screen because 2 flies :ohmy: came inside, they should try moving to Australia!!!

aries Apr 25th 2011 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9324274)
I think you are forgetting that insect life is NOTHING like Australia here in the UK, no need for fly screens when you have one little fly buzzing around the light bulb and one daddy long legs in the bath............:lol:

Agreed about fewer flies in the UK.

However a few years ago I stayed with my brother at his converted barn in Warwickshire, and a giant spider completely covered the water in the loo. Over subsequent days I killed about 60 baby ones which had crawled all over the bathroom. I could just imagine them growing up and dangling everywhere!

islandwoman120 Apr 25th 2011 8:04 am

:lol:

I think you are forgetting that insect life is NOTHING like Australia here in the UK, no need for fly screens when you have one little fly buzzing around the light bulb and one daddy long legs in the bath............

:lol:

sallysimmons Apr 25th 2011 11:23 am

Oh God, I am terrified of Daddy Long Legs - I forgot about them :eek: Cancel the plans!! :lol:

beedubya, the bugs are the main reason it would never even enter my head to move to Australia. I am pretty close to phobic about them and can't understand how people tolerate it.

Beedubya Apr 25th 2011 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9324810)
Oh God, I am terrified of Daddy Long Legs - I forgot about them :eek: Cancel the plans!! :lol:

beedubya, the bugs are the main reason it would never even enter my head to move to Australia. I am pretty close to phobic about them and can't understand how people tolerate it.

HONESTLY you do get used to them, and in reality living in the suburbs you don't see that many, but don't talk about the cockroaches and the flies, now I really HATE THEM!!! :sneaky:

Mallory Apr 25th 2011 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9324817)
HONESTLY you do get used to them, and in reality living in the suburbs you don't see that many, but don't talk about the cockroaches and the flies, now I really HATE THEM!!! :sneaky:

The last time I was in England I ran into a little SPAR shop to buy a loaf of bread - it was towards the end of the day. The bread was on a shelf, unwrapped. There was only one loaf left on the shelf, and when I went to reach for it I noticed there for a fly on it. :ohmy:

cheers Apr 25th 2011 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9324831)
The last time I was in England I ran into a little SPAR shop to buy a loaf of bread - it was towards the end of the day. The bread was on a shelf, unwrapped. There was only one loaf left on the shelf, and when I went to reach for it I noticed there for a fly on it. :ohmy:

Wot!

Haven't you noticed all the wasps busy in the cake display at the counter? I think I once told the assistant that that was a health/hygene violation and I got the 2 heads response and no reply. I bet they were thinking, Americans! Trouble makers.
Another experience I had along those lines is I was trying to get on a bus that had the open platform and my feet were on the pavement but I had hold of the rail on the bus and the conductor rang the bell for the bus to go. There were people in front of me so I had to crush them. Again I said that is a safety violation. No response. 'Americans':frown:

Sorry this should be on another list, 'Chit Chat' maybe.

trottytrue Apr 25th 2011 5:38 pm

Cheers...I think we are discussing screens and so I think your fine. I dont think they are necessary in the UK. When I went home with my children a few years ago my daughter was really upset that I left the bedroom window open. I explained to her that they dont have many flying bugs in England maybe some areas do . It took her a while to get use to it having the windows open.
That is something we will have to get used to when we go home. No screens:eek: Here in NH it would be impossible to leave the window open without a screen. I did it once the screen was not in correct. The whole of the forest entered my house. Bugs I have never seen in my life before we were up all night killing them. Giant moths, thousands of Mosquitoes. One room I just closed the door and sprayed bug killer.:eek:

dunroving Apr 25th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9325480)
Cheers...I think we are discussing screens and so I think your fine. I dont think they are necessary in the UK. When I went home with my children a few years ago my daughter was really upset that I left the bedroom window open. I explained to her that they dont have many flying bugs in England maybe some areas do . It took her a while to get use to it having the windows open.
That is something we will have to get used to when we go home. No screens:eek: Here in NH it would be impossible to leave the window open without a screen. I did it once the screen was not in correct. The whole of the forest entered my house. Bugs I have never seen in my life before we were up all night killing them. Giant moths, thousands of Mosquitoes. One room I just closed the door and sprayed bug killer.:eek:

Around here, everyone is back to having their windows open all day and night (I'd say at least 50% of houses, from what I see when walking the dog). It'll be that way from now until about October. What I don't understand is that people keep their central heating on - might as well chuck money out the window (I wish they would).