Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
It could be this one or one like it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ck?logcode=dsp
Not bad for a VW Just kidding!

I started up that car thread.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:05 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandrui
Wondering about Austin mini... not so mini as they used to be, and very zippy. A hatchback version maybe.
See a lot of mini's over here ... and there seems to be quite a few variations. I really like them.

There's also a 'zippy' looking Fiat 500 I've been noticing a lot.

Loads and loads of the Ford Ka. They must really be affordable as many as I've seen...
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I keep hearing this, and yet that's how I remember it always being. I cursed an awful lot when I first got to Canada and had to adjust quickly because people thought I was way rough
You rebel
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

New pics on flick" http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:37 pm
DDL

It's Red Nose Day here in the UK today.

I love the way the entire country embraces this giving campaign. Saw schoolchildren this morning walking to school wearing little red noses, red clown wigs ... others dressed up in one way or another.

At work, our department were asked to wear hats (other departments had different themes). They could be proper hats or funny hats. I wore a knitted tea cosy. It was loads of fun to join in the merry-making ... and of course make a monetary donation.

Tonight, we're watching the Comic Relief marathon on BBC and it's been just brilliant. David Cameron, Paul McCartney, Gordon Brown, actors, actresses, sports figures, musicians, etc. etc. Everyone who is ANYONE are appealing to the public to donate.

The skits are hilarious (although there have been some serious ones as well) and at this moment, Comic Relief has raised over £41,873,505, all for disadvantaged children in the UK - and Africa. Edited to add: As well as vulnerable and poor people in the UK.

You don't have to be in the UK to donate: https://donate.comicrelief.com/donation/

Update
: Since posting this, the total donated now stands at £68,669,577!

Last edited by DDL; Mar 19th 2011 at 12:41 am.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
HighSpeedGrandma.......so good to hear from you. Kept wondering what was happening to you. I cannot believe how well you are doing. You might be nervous but good heavens you know how to overcome it. Love the update and just waiting to see which job you get. You Anna and ED and Rodney have all come so far in the last year. Its wonderful to hear how well you are doing. Look forward eagerly to the next post.

Rodney....two cigs are fine then you will get it down to one

Charleygirl....Thankyou for coffee it was so nice to see you. Will miss you when you leave. Just under two weeks for you.

Fulwood.....I have been thinking hard about going home. I dont have any friends here in the US. The one friend I did have moved back to the UK and another is about to move back. I am constantly worried about how I will cope going back home and England will always be home to me. My worry is I am not getting any younger. I have many friends and family in the UK but my brothers are both sick so I will be left with nephews and nieces and that worries me. What happens if I get sick I have left my family back in the US what do I do. Move into a old folks home then whats the difference between an old folks home in the US or the UK. I've worked in them both and theres not much difference. Buses are fine but when we get older are legs dont work the same. Last week I was carrying a bag into the house from the car and it hurt my hand, I have arthritis in two of my fingers. Am I going to find it difficult to do my shopping . I am going to have to find somewhere in a small village but is that going to be like in the US were your not one of them till you have lived there for 20years. No good saying it doesnt happen because it does happen in the UK. People can be cool with you. I envy those of you in your 50's you still have time to make a new life but when you are nearing 70 it is alot different. I hope my rambling makes sense to some of you.
Trotty your not rambling and it makes a lot of sense to me, I relate a lot to what you say about your fear of going back home after so long in USA, I had those same worries and concerns, and yes your right when you say people in there early 50's do have there whole life ahead of them and the move may be quite different for them,
But when you say when you are nearing your 70's, well me too, think of it this way it can be an advantage cause your be going home to retire, and so no pressure to find a Job, you have all kinds of benefits when your over 60 like free prescriptions and free bus pass, and senior rail card to travel all over U.K. for £26 per year
I here in your voice Avril so much fear and doubt, what if this or what if that would happen to you, Anything could happen to anyone of us on here but you just dont think about it, I also have Arthritis in my left hand, and it gets worse every year, my Dad suffered with it for years before he died,
And these days you really got to understand that when we are in our 60's and 70's its just starting our senior life, sometime I say to my Mum, I say Mum oh boy do I feel old, and she always laughs at me and says your joking right? your just a young man, and so I say come on Mum you know Im 66 in June, and so she laughs again and says well Im 92 in June and I dont feel old at all, she says its all in the mind,
If you think sad things your be sad, and if you worry something dreadful may happen to you one day well maybe it will, and if you want to be lonely just dont talk to anyone,
But if you just live your life and be as happy as you can be by doing the things you like to do, and going to the places you like to go to, and just live one day at a time and just (LIVE) you will be fine,
And Avril my dear --- whatever you decide to do, its your decision, but all I can say to you is this, I know that this was the best thing I have ever done in my life in returning home to my hometown, I am happy here and I know I will continue to be happy here, I just know it thats all, I love it here, I love the weather, I love the friendly people, yes there nice to me, everyone is, and (1 DO) have a non English accent, I cant really put it into words how much I absolutely love being home, the time I chose was the right time for me, I guess you just know when the right time is for you, or maybe there isn't really ever a right time at all, so maybe we just need to take the plunge and try it out and see if you will like it, The U.S. will always be there if you want to come back, you are an American citizen like me,
Take care love,
Rodney.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:00 am
DDL

For those of you repatriating who might be a bit rusty with regard to driving over here, you can find an online version of the Highway Code here. Great resource to jog your memory about signage, roundabouts, etc. And if you end up having to take the driving test itself, you absolutely have to know all that it contains.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
For those of you repatriating who might be a bit rusty with regard to driving over here, you can find an online version of the Highway Code here. Great resource to jog your memory about signage, roundabouts, etc. And if you end up having to take the driving test itself, you absolutely have to know all that it contains.
Oh Denise I thank you for this link to the Highwaycode, As you say everything we need to know is there, I have saved this for later when I do decide to get a car, but I also will need to pay for a few refresher lessons Im sure before I can trust myself on driving on the wrong side of the road and also so many different rules to learn.
PS you keep on changing your symbal, first it was your picture, then it was the very red rose, I dident like that one cause it hurt my eyes looking at it, then to the tea cup --- that was nice, now I cant figure out what this one is, I do see the word egg on it though.

Last edited by jasper123; Mar 19th 2011 at 12:52 am.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:56 am
DDL

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh Denise I thank you for this link to the Highwaycode, As you say everything we need to know is there, I have saved this for later when I do decide to get a car, but I also will need to pay for a few refresher lessons Im sure before I can trust myself on driving on the wrong side of the road and also so many different rules to learn.
You're welcome, Rodders. Now you can study it at your leisure, but when the time comes for you to start driving again, you'll do just fine. Look at everything you've already accomplished!

PS you keep on changing your symbal, first it was your picture, then it was the very red rose, I dident like that one cause it hurt my eyes looking at it, then to the tea cup --- that was nice, now I cant figure out what this one is, I do see the word egg on it though.
ha ha Yes, I like to change it with the different holidays, etc. This one is a Cadbury Creme Egg for Easter!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
I did it.....went back to the dealer after my cousin had spoken to them and took it for test drive. I warned him he could be in for a rough ride but said he did not scare easily. He said would you like to try the dual carriageway and "I said sure but I'm not ready for the Motorway". We ended up driving back through Newton Abbott which was quite busy but went surprisingly well. The car drove beautifully so I put down a deposit and will now get insurance and pick it up on Wednesday. Perfect timing as we can use it next week for the move. Very impressed with the salesman Ross ........not at all pushy .
Thanks Grandma for the encouragement and Happy & Safe Driving.
Good for you David and you too Grandma
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
See a lot of mini's over here ... and there seems to be quite a few variations. I really like them.

There's also a 'zippy' looking Fiat 500 I've been noticing a lot.

Loads and loads of the Ford Ka. They must really be affordable as many as I've seen...
Fiat Ford

Don't forget the new car thread
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Have a look at this site before you put your foot in your mouth any more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-4-review.html

The UK kids are a mixed bunch - they are not all Public School kids, and even some of those leave a lot to be desired. The bad language emanating from many of their mouths can be quite shocking - life has changed here in the UK. Regional variations allowed (my disclaimer).
Actually I have to say that P.I.S.A. rankings of schools worldwide, where a country falls into Above Average, Average and Below Average based upon Reading and Maths Tests found UK to be Average and US to be Below Average. I think the Telegraph article was very interesting bu this was a group of "troubled kids".
Just keeping it real as they say here.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

First let me say thankyou all for your words of encouragement. I think I was a little jealous of those of you back home and how each one of you is so darned resolute. Each one of you has got the best attitude. The car and driving difficulties you just move right around it. Me I am such a weak willed person I gave up driving 10years ago when we moved to NH so now I am at the mercy of family to get me were I want to go. So again a big to each one of you for your determination. You do us women proud.

I have watched each one of you leave over the past 2 years and its been almost 3 years since we put our house up for sale. So here comes envy its like I have been standing on the pier waving goodbye to you all and waiting for my ticket and it never came.

HighSpeedGrandma... Thankyou for you words of comfort when i think of how you have coped with the changes in your life I should be ashamed of myself. I have to admit I see a different you since you have been back home more determined more sure of yourself. I am so glad.

Beedubya......Thankyou for the link to the cottage it is really very nice. I have alot to think about over the next few months as to were I want to settle when we eventually get back home.

Derrygirl......Family can be a help or they can be a hinderance. I have been going through some problems with my family back in the UK and its made me have second thoughts as to how near to them do I really want to live. I am torn between Lancashire and Cheshire but Chester would be my ideal place but I am considering down South or further up north. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. But one step at a time. Get the house sold first. When you have been away for so long you are afraid that you wont fit in and its sad because I really dont fit in here. My family in the UK just depressed the hell out of me this week.

Easterndawn...No update on wee mack.

Betweentwoworlds....Thankyou. I had always wanted to live in a small village because i thought it would be easier. A retirement complex is not my favourite place. I like to see children and just life in general you dont really see that in those places and you can get some very grumply old folk But on the other hand if you are close to town you can mix with other people. I just tend to feel when you are around alot of older folk you begin to think like them and they all tend to discuss their ailments and health problems.

Islandwoman120....Loved your pictures and from the look of your kitchen your little home must be lovely. Is that a fire alarm in that picture

Jasper123.....Your comment about your Mum was the best. It was as if the picture was finally finished when she said she was glad you were home. Must have done your heart good.

Thankyou Rodney for your encouragement I do have my moments of doubt and the next couple of months are going to be very stressful. Getting the house back in order for sale, not that its not already in shape but Spring Cleaning. I look at the windows and see the dirt, the fans are thick with dust the garden what I can see is full of downed branches and needs alot doing to it. The snow is still on the ground. We have to decided whether to stay with the same realter or get a new one. Looking at who has the lesser commision that might save a few dollars. But you are right there are ways around everything I was saying. But when we wait for a long time to do something you can think of lots of reasons why you shouldnt be doing it. I just need a kick in the pants now and again.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:32 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Love the photos as always! Glad you're settling in to your new place.

Apropos of nothing, I was watching some British TV tonight. We talk a lot on this thread about what's not as good these days in Britain, but we never spend much time on what's better than the "good old days." The show I was watching reminded me of several things that are way better now:

1) People with northern accents can be on TV - when I was a kid it was all southerners with plums in their mouths and the rest of us were taught that we shouldn't get our hopes up. I actually wanted to work at the BBC and then I discovered that (back then) they only recruited from Oxford and Cambridge and that dream was dashed.

2) England is much more multi-cultural and I think that's an amazingly good thing

3) As a result of #2, the food is immeasurably better than it was when I grew up.

And there ends my sermon
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL....Your day at work sounded wonderful what fun. What are you up to this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.