British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

stealthninja Feb 27th 2011 7:24 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Newbie here, and I haven't read all the posts - so many:ohmy:

I've been away from the UK for 36 years and I have to admit I have had a growing yearning to go back for good the past couple of years. Maybe it's to do with being retired and trying to live on pension here, and ever-rising costs - especially with medications - and my relatives on pension in the UK are so much better off!

I have to say though that it just doesn't seem right to be away for so many years, and then go back to try to reap the benefits, not having paid into the system. Having said that I am going back in May, and will be checking out the cost of living, what I could afford in housing, what I would get in pension, etc.

I have nothing against Canada, I've had a good life here. But it just seems we get a yen to go back to our roots, the older we get! But as I don't think I could really afford to do it, not sure my conscience would allow me to take anything in the way of benefits back there.

bandrui Feb 27th 2011 7:54 am

I am a newbie but want to congratulate you Beedubya on finding your way back home. I am sure it is a time of tumultuous emotions - leaving good friends behind, travelling along a new path, all big changes. May the force be with you!
I have just, in the last couple of days, as I spent hours on this forum reading up on old posts, made the decision that I am going home and since I have made that decision it is as if my spirit is already there.
It is a huge decision for me since I live alone, and although I have family in England, they do not live in areas I would want to live in so I will basically be settling alone. I am not that close to family there. My parents died a long time ago and I feel a little guilt because my Mum would have given anything to have me move back there. She even offered me my Grandma's house in Bedford years ago, and I turned it down. What was I thinking?!?! So now that they are gone, I am coming home. Sorry Mum.
Suddenly I feel that my life has a sense of purpose rather than going in circles here trying to make ends meet. I have a house which may finance a small house in England. Property prices are quite high here on Salt Spring Island (SSI for short) and the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US one right now.
Timing? Not sure. I am beginning to think about the tons of stuff I have accumulated and will start to sell things as I can. I need to do clean up and repairs before I list the house so will work on that as the weather improves.
I work as a gardener and have Master Gardener certification. I also work as a silk dyer but it is as and when needed so don't have any work there at the moment.
I don't know yet how it is all going to come together but I do have faith that when you set foot on the path, it begins a process that will flow as it must.
I hope to settle in the South West - Wiltshire? Somerset? I ahve a second cousin in Devizes but he's 86.
Even though I am 62, I am looking forward to cleaning the slate and beginning anew. At first there was much fear and trepidation (as I am sure there will be again) but I am going ahead. I had some concerns about leaving a large 3BR with a downstairs suite and large 2 room studio on an acre of land, to go to what will be a very small house in England but now the simplicity of it is beginning to appeal to me. Perhaps I can have a life outisde of maintaining my property and like others on this list have mentioned:
here, there are not all the lovely places to go on daytrips that you can in England so I have become quite insular. This too shall change!
I pine for the English countryside, the ancient places, the food, the telly and much much more.
I spent a month there in 2009 visiting family in Stoke, travelling with my second cousin through Wales (brecon Beacons to Llandeilo and up to Newtown, across through Worcestershire (old family places of my ancestors who were fruit producers in the Vale of Evesham) and the Cotswolds, to his home in Devizes. Days at Avebury, Glastonbury and Stonehenge. A weekend in London... the National Gallery, British Museum and Sunday markets (I used to be a Mod LOL and often went to Petticoat Lane with my friend when we were in our teens) and as I stood outside the terminal at Heathrow for my return flight, I just wasn't ready to ccome back here.
Sorry for this really long post. Perhaps I just need kindred spirits to share my thoughts with. I have more but will write it in another post so as not to bore you all to tears.
Thanks you all for helping me to come to my decision.
Big Love to all you courageous souls. :heart:

sallysimmons Feb 27th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9205683)
Moving back home is a long process, I think - lots to do between the time you make the decision and the time you actually leave to go home. I am in a similar position - a few years yet for me (unless I can possibly make it sooner) but I am filling my time in getting reacquainted with the UK in many ways - this forum, watching UK TV, learning about the property and mortgage and rental markets over there, getting reacquainted with the half-sister I haven't seen in over 40 years, making plans for my life when I return - what I will do for a living, start a small business, etc. I am also already going through all my belongings here in the USA - sorting things out, making sure that when an appliance or something else dies between now and the time I leave, that I have an interim plan.

This is true for me too. We have a savings plan that we're working towards and we made a list of all the things we need to do between now and leaving. First thing is clearing out the house. We've been working our way through it slowly but my God - how did we get so much stuff?? Most of it is junk but it's filled the house and however much I get rid of, we just seem to have more.

Confgrats on the decision bandrui and welcome stealthninja!

between two worlds Feb 27th 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9205811)
I am a newbie but want to congratulate you Beedubya on finding your way back home. I am sure it is a time of tumultuous emotions - leaving good friends behind, travelling along a new path, all big changes. May the force be with you!
I have just, in the last couple of days, as I spent hours on this forum reading up on old posts, made the decision that I am going home and since I have made that decision it is as if my spirit is already there.
It is a huge decision for me since I live alone, and although I have family in England, they do not live in areas I would want to live in so I will basically be settling alone. I am not that close to family there. My parents died a long time ago and I feel a little guilt because my Mum would have given anything to have me move back there. She even offered me my Grandma's house in Bedford years ago, and I turned it down. What was I thinking?!?! So now that they are gone, I am coming home. Sorry Mum.
Suddenly I feel that my life has a sense of purpose rather than going in circles here trying to make ends meet. I have a house which may finance a small house in England. Property prices are quite high here on Salt Spring Island (SSI for short) and the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US one right now.
Timing? Not sure. I am beginning to think about the tons of stuff I have accumulated and will start to sell things as I can. I need to do clean up and repairs before I list the house so will work on that as the weather improves.
I work as a gardener and have Master Gardener certification. I also work as a silk dyer but it is as and when needed so don't have any work there at the moment.
I don't know yet how it is all going to come together but I do have faith that when you set foot on the path, it begins a process that will flow as it must.
I hope to settle in the South West - Wiltshire? Somerset? I ahve a second cousin in Devizes but he's 86.
Even though I am 62, I am looking forward to cleaning the slate and beginning anew. At first there was much fear and trepidation (as I am sure there will be again) but I am going ahead. I had some concerns about leaving a large 3BR with a downstairs suite and large 2 room studio on an acre of land, to go to what will be a very small house in England but now the simplicity of it is beginning to appeal to me. Perhaps I can have a life outisde of maintaining my property and like others on this list have mentioned:
here, there are not all the lovely places to go on daytrips that you can in England so I have become quite insular. This too shall change!
I pine for the English countryside, the ancient places, the food, the telly and much much more.
I spent a month there in 2009 visiting family in Stoke, travelling with my second cousin through Wales (brecon Beacons to Llandeilo and up to Newtown, across through Worcestershire (old family places of my ancestors who were fruit producers in the Vale of Evesham) and the Cotswolds, to his home in Devizes. Days at Avebury, Glastonbury and Stonehenge. A weekend in London... the National Gallery, British Museum and Sunday markets (I used to be a Mod LOL and often went to Petticoat Lane with my friend when we were in our teens) and as I stood outside the terminal at Heathrow for my return flight, I just wasn't ready to ccome back here.
Sorry for this really long post. Perhaps I just need kindred spirits to share my thoughts with. I have more but will write it in another post so as not to bore you all to tears.

Bandrui, what a momentous decision, and how exciting! thank you for letting us all share in it.

Yes, we are kindred spirits here and discovering over and over how in many people the desire to return only increases with age.

Good luck and keep us posted! It may be hard doing all the planning etc on your own, but in some ways it's easier....only yourself to please!

tina

bandrui Feb 27th 2011 8:07 am

Hi Stealth,
Where are you in BC? Nice to find a fellow BC'er.

Re: benefits etc. It's a reciprocal thing. Canada and UK have an agreement so it's a case of swings and roundabouts. There are people from the UK coming here and receiving benefits from the Canadian system and vice versa so I think it works out.

between two worlds Feb 27th 2011 8:17 am

Originally Posted by stealthninja (Post 9205749)
Newbie here, and I haven't read all the posts - so many:ohmy:

I've been away from the UK for 36 years and I have to admit I have had a growing yearning to go back for good the past couple of years. Maybe it's to do with being retired and trying to live on pension here, and ever-rising costs - especially with medications - and my relatives on pension in the UK are so much better off!

I have to say though that it just doesn't seem right to be away for so many years, and then go back to try to reap the benefits, not having paid into the system. Having said that I am going back in May, and will be checking out the cost of living, what I could afford in housing, what I would get in pension, etc.

I have nothing against Canada, I've had a good life here. But it just seems we get a yen to go back to our roots, the older we get! But as I don't think I could really afford to do it, not sure my conscience would allow me to take anything in the way of benefits back there.

I have to admire your sense of integrity, in hesitating to take benefits when you haven't paid into the system. It would be my situation too if I went back, as I only worked a couple of years in UK. But on reflection, is it really wrong? People like us who return would be contributing to the economy as well as taking benefits, wouldn't we? by buying things, hiring people to do jobs etc? And if working, we'd be paying taxes--and even if retired, aren't pensions taxed?

In the end perhaps it comes down to this--are we returning because we love England (or Britain), have what you call a "growing yearning" to return to our roots there, be with our families, enjoy our heritage???? or out of a purely calculated desire to benefit financially? In my case, and in most cases here, it's the former. As you say, we feel a yen to go back to our roots. I think we'd be contributing in so many positive ways to British life by being there and enjoying the culture, pubs, visiting cathedrals and dropping money in the upkeep box, volunteering, etc etc....

We'd be choosing Britaian primarily because it is our original home. I think that's a bit different from those people from other EU countries who choose Britain JUST because (so I gather, haven't researched this but have heard it is so) British policy is softer and makes it easier to get all sorts of benefits...

It's our home and I think it's ok to go back and enjoy the benefits we're entitled to....while at the same time, if our consciences bother us, giving back to the community in other ways..

Thanks for this interesting post and good luck with the recce in May!

Tina

Easterndawn Feb 27th 2011 8:19 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9204377)
Don't laugh but when I first saw Frome in the postings, I checked online how to pronounce it and there it was... a little sound clip that said Frome. Sounded more like Frume to me. What about you who are living there/have lived there?

Welcome, you live in one of the most beautiful spots in Canada

quoll Feb 27th 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by blackcatsfan (Post 9204236)
I tried hidemyip, but I found it slowed down my mac terribly, so I had to get rid of it.

I think windsong has success with it though.

I'm currently using uknova.com to download shows, it was a little confusing to begin with - but I finally figured it out - I'm addicted to Come Dine with Me and the new Masterchef :thumbsup:

You can try www.thebox.bz too - I find it better than UKnova and if you cant seed back anything you can donate through paypal to enhance your upload. You do have to use the torrent clients they recommend though.

sallysimmons Feb 27th 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9205847)
We'd be choosing Britaian primarily because it is our original home. I think that's a bit different from those people from other EU countries who choose Britain JUST because (so I gather, haven't researched this but have heard it is so) British policy is softer and makes it easier to get all sorts of benefits...

Or maybe they choose Britain because, at least until recently, it had a thriving economy and there was more chance of finding work. Most immigrants work really hard in my experience, just like we all did when were moved to our adopted countries. Although I bet the Daily Mail can always the odd exception to scare the locals with.

The few times that Americans have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence. :rofl:

stealthninja Feb 27th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9205831)
Hi Stealth,
Where are you in BC? Nice to find a fellow BC'er.

Re: benefits etc. It's a reciprocal thing. Canada and UK have an agreement so it's a case of swings and roundabouts. There are people from the UK coming here and receiving benefits from the Canadian system and vice versa so I think it works out.

Hi there, I live on the lower mainland, in Maple Ridge. I have kids and grandkids here so the decision is made harder because of that, but on the other hand they have busy lives and I don't see that much of them. I think they would be fine with whatever decision I make.

You live in a particularly lovely part of our province, I've visited there often. But I am beginning to understand the pull of going back to the UK - just wish I could afford a place in the Cotswolds:rofl::rofl:

bandrui Feb 27th 2011 11:41 am

I've lived on the island here for 10 years now. Dropped out of the corporate world in Vancouver in 2001. Yes, it is beautiful, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the mountains, the tall Douglas firs and Cedars and long for the open meadows and deciduous trees of England.
I think in the final analysis it is not what one country has or hasn't got but an inner feeling of being on home soil that drives so many of us to find our way back. It's how we feel inside rather than what we have. I am realising that more and more as I look around at all the things I shall sell that might have felt like things I have to have last week. It is easier than I thought it would be. There are a few things though that I shall try and keep if I can.
One of my real dilemmas will be a huge collection of books (mainly non-fiction) and fabrics that I have collected over the years, and would really like to keep at least some of, plus a couple of items of furniture but most can be sold..
I shall start to explore options re: shipping. Container? partial container? Other? I shall be very limited by cost. (Any info gratefully received).
I have a friend in Robert's Creek, BC who is also going back this year. Wonder if we could share a container? Bit difficult though as we are both only reachable by ferry and going to different places in the UK.
I had heard it might be worthwhile to buy a container and sell it again at the other end. Sounds like a really big deal though.

Stealthninja (great name!), Maple Ridge is beautiful too. Do you know Brian Arsenault who runs (used to run) the horse ranch/karaoke bar there. Can't remember the name of it.

I occasionally (once or twice a year) get over to the lower mainland. When I come over I would love to meet you for a cuppa in Van if you are game.

Thanks well-wishers for you posts.

windsong Feb 27th 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9205811)

Hello Bandrui - welcome.

I understand so much of what you said. I am 58 and have no family in the UK. I say "no family" because it's really true. I do have a half-sister I have not seen in 45 or more years - I hate to count exactly how many . . well wait a minute, it's 54 years!!! We are getting reacquainted via email. We don't really know each other.

I was born in South Wales but raised in Edinburgh, Scotland. My father spent the last 30 years of his life in Somerset. It's beautiful there, so I am not sure where I will end up.

One thing I am trying to come to terms with is that, although I grew up in a very grand home in Scotland, I will be returning to a much smaller home and will perhaps only be renting because I understand it is very difficult to get a mortgage when you are older in the UK. However, I am out to impress NO one and could give a hoot, so whatever I live in, it will be "my home" and will be clean, tidy and cozy. The most important thing, though, is that I will be in my own country and I know I will feel a soul-deep sense of belonging - something I have NEVER felt in the USA.

Even though I made the decision to return, it is accompanied by anxiety because I will be making the move alone and with my pets. Above all, I know that when the day comes for me to step on the plane and leave the USA for the very last time, I will not be sorry and I will be filled with eager anticipation of what awaits me on the other side. I keep that in mind every day.

windsong Feb 27th 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9205860)
You can try www.thebox.bz too - I find it better than UKnova and if you cant seed back anything you can donate through paypal to enhance your upload. You do have to use the torrent clients they recommend though.

There's a new one out I found today and you can use it on a Mac. Probably Windows, too. It's called Netshade and is free, I think. If you go to cnet.com you can read a review.

windsong Feb 27th 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9206026)
Or maybe they choose Britain because, at least until recently, it had a thriving economy and there was more chance of finding work. Most immigrants work really hard in my experience, just like we all did when were moved to our adopted countries. Although I bet the Daily Mail can always the odd exception to scare the locals with.

The few times that Americans have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence. :rofl:

Britain's economy has nothing whatsoever to do with my decision to return. In fact, I wish the economy were not as good as it is because property might be less expensive and the exchange rate would be better. I am sure the economy is a factor for some but it certainly wasn't for me.

My heritage and the British culture are the reasons I am returning. I just prefer the lifestyle and the way of life over there.

bandrui Feb 27th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9206249)
Hello Bandrui - welcome.

I understand so much of what you said. I am 58 and have no family in the UK. I say "no family" because it's really true. I do have a half-sister I have not seen in 45 or more years - I hate to count exactly how many . . well wait a minute, it's 54 years!!! We are getting reacquainted via email. We don't really know each other.

I was born in South Wales but raised in Edinburgh, Scotland. My father spent the last 30 years of his life in Somerset. It's beautiful there, so I am not sure where I will end up.

One thing I am trying to come to terms with is that, although I grew up in a very grand home in Scotland, I will be returning to a much smaller home and will perhaps only be renting because I understand it is very difficult to get a mortgage when you are older in the UK. However, I am out to impress NO one and could give a hoot, so whatever I live in, it will be "my home" and will be clean, tidy and cozy. The most important thing, though, is that I will be in my own country and I know I will feel a soul-deep sense of belonging - something I have NEVER felt in the USA.

Even though I made the decision to return, it is accompanied by anxiety because I will be making the move alone and with my pets. Above all, I know that when the day comes for me to step on the plane and leave the USA for the very last time, I will not be sorry and I will be filled with eager anticipation of what awaits me on the other side. I keep that in mind every day.

Hi Windsong,
It gives me strength to know that there are others in the same position. I think as we go along and make our plans and preparations, the pieces will fall into place.

Yes, at first I wondered how it would be to be living in a much smaller house but as I look at lovely places on Rightmove, I start to look forward to living there and toddling off to the local shops to buy some good old English food. So much of this for me just seems to be a matter of changing attitude and finding the positives, e.g. a manageable plot of land vs the big space I can't keep up with here. Cosy is good. I will need enough land to grow lots of veggies though.
We're Brits and we can find the courage! Plus, even though we have no family to rely on, we have all these wonderful new-found friends on here.
Stay in touch. :thumbsup: