Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Sentosa
My son checked a few out for us but he said they were very tiny and he felt claustraphobic after a few minutes. After U.S homes I need a little more space than that.We have been watching on Rightmove for a couple of months and found 6 or 7 we are going to check out when we get home next week.
Sentosa, I'm on Rightmove daily. Do you want to share/post some of the homes you find?
I'm mixed up and can't decide renting over buying. At this minute I think the sensible thing to do is rent and the range for a rental is £600 on down. In some areas you can do well for around £400.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sentosa, I'm on Rightmove daily. Do you want to share/post some of the homes you find?
I'm mixed up and can't decide renting over buying. At this minute I think the sensible thing to do is rent and the range for a rental is £600 on down. In some areas you can do well for around £400.
We are looking to move to the isle of wight we are going to rent put a limit of 700 pounds a month, my OH is on daily like you I will post some later as he has them on his computer.He also checks out the estate agents links that are on Rightmove. Will try and up date when I can.Plus when we get back I will post what I find out when we visit the estate agents.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes, Well Tim is most helpful, but I don't think we could manage the two of us in There!. Yes, probably will do that. love Don
That sounds like you and Tim joining the mile high club not changing into trousers
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Hi Mummy and thank you..

Well I still hold the revised form of the 'green card', and only got the redesigned version in 2008. Up until that time, I was still carrying around my original 'green card'..dated 1947 with my baby picture on it! So at this point in my life, I'm still a permanent resident here. I looked around last nite on the net..and seems if I were to leave the US and reside in another country..my permanent residency status is valid outside of the US for 10 years, then have to renew. When I lived in England, I was 18-19. the law was different then. If I stayed out of country more than a year, I would have lost my permanent residency in the US. And probably no hope then to get back in, as I had not one blood relative living in the states. So I left England right before the year was up. To this day I don't know if that was entirely correct, nor really can remember... Anyway is one of the reasons I left England in 1966...afraid I would never be able to return to the states and not able to see my honey again.
Don't count on 10 years any more. I had one of those green cards with no expiration on (there was a short time in the 80's when they did those) My Dh's little sisters had the paper ones from the 70's and no expiration either, then they changed a lot after 9/11 and both sisters now have to renew every 10 years and if they are over a year outside US they may not be let back in, and it can be considered that you have abandoned your green card. So I went and got citizenship, just to be safe (cross your fingers in your pocket for the pledge )
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sally my friend in Vegas just sent me my w2's from my last employer and S/S for 2010 do you know does anyone else know is there a part of the IRS site that has a free e-file section, Mine will be easy, just file an easy one, my job took maximum taxes out so no money owed, Ive always had someone to do it for me, just wondered if anyone knows how we expats file our US TAXES IN UK each year,
Rodney.
http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html Have you seen this, free eFile federal taxes.
I was going to look into doing ours from UK with Turbo tax online, but we will have income I hope, we won't be retired.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That sounds like you and Tim joining the mile high club not changing into trousers
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Hello Fish..
I'm afraid I am truly witnessing the dumbing-down of America..especially in light of the last election..Nov. 2010. Ever seen the movie.."Idiocracy"..I swear we are in the beginning stages of. And of great concern to me...is that the subject of 'entitlement' programs (Soc. Security & Medicare) keeps coming up, politically. My one son (41 yrs of age, truly a very, very intelligent man, even if he wasn't my son)..is concerned for me and my retirement benefits here in the states. He keeps himself very well informed and visits websites with deep analysis. I do trust his judgment. Of course, only time will tell. But my deep gut hunch..President Obama will not be re-elected. I have also learned to never say never to the impossible, when people could actually believe and want Sarah Palin for President!!
I love that movie so funny and so flippin scary that it's happening.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Don't count on 10 years any more. I had one of those green cards with no expiration on (there was a short time in the 80's when they did those) My Dh's little sisters had the paper ones from the 70's and no expiration either, then they changed a lot after 9/11 and both sisters now have to renew every 10 years and if they are over a year outside US they may not be let back in, and it can be considered that you have abandoned your green card. So I went and got citizenship, just to be safe (cross your fingers in your pocket for the pledge )
I think that is what I must of had when I got it in 1955. I also got a declaration of intent (bet you don't know about them?) So I was wondering what they would do about me reentering since I was demobbed from the USAF and I also had a reserve obligation??? This is all hypothetical at this point.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by cheers
I think that is what I must of had when I got it in 1955. I also got a declaration of intent (bet you don't know about them?) So I was wondering what they would do about me reentering since I was demobbed from the USAF and I also had a reserve obligation??? This is all hypothetical at this point.
Sorry I'm trying to read but I'm distracted by memories of Lemon biscuits I just ate a whole toblerone and now I want Lemon biscuits.
So did you get your citizenship being in the Forces?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Those re-fueling multi-stops are long gone, thank God!!

On my last trip I was on the Qantas A380 Airbus which I was very excited about, but I was very disappointed as economy was not the greatest due to the larger amount of people on the plane, therefore more seats, it somehow felt more claustrophobic, it was chockers and unfortunately I was wedged between 2 large men.
Same with us Barb. Not one free seat and we were across from bulkhead with two babies. Very tight and little leg room.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL...If you needed a prescription for yourself I wonder what it would cost you. Any idea.
That is what my cost is.

Because Tony is a diabetic, all of his prescriptions are free even those that are not related to his diabetes.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You are forgetting McVities (chocolate digestives and Hobnobs) and Crawfords where they had a factory in our home town of Liverpool, Cheers.

For a time my mum used to work at Crawfords and on some pay days she would bring home a box of broken biscuits and we would all be SOOO excited!!

Imagine giving broken biscuits to the kids of today LOL!!

Just did a google and you can buy Jacobs Lemon Puff Biscuits right over there in Amereeka.

http://www.bestdeal.org/british_store/jaclemonpuff.html
We can buy chocolate digestives and hob nobs at our local Kroger. They have an international section. Also Maltesers Bounty, Heinz baked beans, bovril, lemon barley water and a host of other Brit goods.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I'm trying to read but I'm distracted by memories of Lemon biscuits I just ate a whole toblerone and now I want Lemon biscuits.
So did you get your citizenship being in the Forces?
I got it in 1960 but I don't know that being in the U.S. Air Force for four years had anything to do with it. IMBW.

When I took the test I don't think I did very well because I took a lot guff from this 'woman' who was probably a court clerk. She was rude. Anyway I had to bite my tongue to avoid telling her what she could do with the U.S. citizenship.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
We can buy chocolate digestives and hob nobs at our local Kroger. They have an international section. Also Maltesers Bounty, Heinz baked beans, bovril, lemon barley water and a host of other Brit goods.
........and I just set a Caramellow on the way home.......eeeeek
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
If it was just a case of wanting 'my team' to win, I'd agree with you but for me, it's about more than liking and not liking at the moment. There are just some very scary people with some very scary attitudes that would once have been unacceptable, but now seem to be accepted as mainstream.

I think that's far more important than individual worries and concerns.
Thank you Sally....my sentiments exactly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.