Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Is car rental an option for day and weekend trips to supplement public transportation? Would renting one a few days every month be much less expensive than the annual cost of ownership?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper 123...How much exactly is the can of custard in the UK. Must remember to bring a bunch of tylenol with me. It seems alot of people in the UK take paracetamol.

DDL..If you buy your home outright in the UK would you have to pay tax on that. I know in the US you are exempt from paying tax on your last house once you are over a cetain age. I forget how it works and if you dont have to pay a morgage or rent then the amount you mentioned would not be bad. Have to look back and see exactly what you listed.
OK trotty we buy nice big cans of Ambrosia custard from Iceland and they are two cans for £1 --- also we buy cans of Ambrosia devon Creamed Rice same price 2 for a pound,
Rodney.
PS the scones here are great at the co-op 8 in a pack £1 ----- bit of jam & butter Hmmmm yum yum
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL.. I think we will have to do without the car which is a shame but if thats the only way we can afford it and still have a comfortable life I am fine with the bus. We dont have to worry about getting to and from work so that makes it easier.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Everyone would need a lot less money to live on if they could eliminate the car, wouldn't they?

I think living w/o a car would be much easier if a person were retired rather than still having to work...unless you are fortunate enough to find accommodation within walking distance of your job or on a bus/train line to your job.

Anyway, part of Tony's job requirement is that he have his own car because he has to go out and do inspections, etc. and the Council does not provide a car for that so the issue a non-starter for us at the mo.
Well said Denise, as I have always saID ---- ITS ALL ABOUT CIRCUMSTANCES,
If ones Job requires you to have a car then of course you must have one,
And you are right when you say that a couple could maybe barely survive on £15k (net) per year if they rented a cheap enough apartment,
But it would not be easy, Its the high rent over here that kills you, a one bedroom nothing special apartment in Pompey would cost minimum £600 P.M. and thats without the council tax that owners seem to be able to force tenants to pay over here,
Take care and I dont think your a cave person
Rodney.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Is car rental an option for day and weekend trips to supplement public transportation? Would renting one a few days every month be much less expensive than the annual cost of ownership?
The answer to the last part of your question depends a lot on a) how new/expensive your car is and b) how lucky you are in terms of your car needing repair (my car cost me over £3,500 in repairs last year, for example).

I am probably a good example of someone who has relatively low car costs - I bought my 1999 Subaru Legacy Estate for £2,400 when I came back in 2006 and intend to drive it until it drops. My car insurance is relatively low, and road tax is about in the middle, fuel consumption is about in the middle.

Last year my total car costs (inc. the repairs above and all petrol costs) were £4,800, as follows (approx.):

AA breakdown service £235
petrol £800
Insurance £200
Tax £200
Repairs £3,500
depreciation: Minimal (only cost £2,400 5 years ago)

- I think the big uncertainty with cars is potential repairs, and the other big cost of course is purchase price. I reckong, however, you can buy a decent, reliable little car with low insurance and low repair costs for < £3,000, easily (e.g., Vauxhall Astra or Corsa). If it lasts you 5 years and you then diitch it for next to nothing, then the purchase costs you £600 a year.

So overall, if you are lucky enough not to buy a complete lemon and don't want a fancy car, I reckon it would cost you about £2,000 a year or less to run a car. Unlike the old days when cars constantly needed tinkering with and went rusty in the blink of an eye, these days they are mostly very reliable and don't rust. I have NEVER (!) washed my car in 5 years and the rust on the back hatch is hardly any worse than when I first bought it.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 16th 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney....So glad I put the custard back. I know they have to pay shipping costs to the US but almost $6 for a 50p tin of custard is way over. Thankyou. It is good to know the difference in prices. Keep thinking of you sitting behind the door when you are posting
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
The answer to the last part of your question depends a lot on a) how new/expensive your car is and b) how lucky you are in terms of your car needing repair (my car cost me over £3,500 in repairs last year, for example).

I am probably a good example of someone who has relatively low car costs - I bought my 1999 Subaru Legacy Estate for £2,400 when I came back in 2006 and intend to drive it until it drops. My car insurance is relatively low, and road tax is about in the middle, fuel consumption is about in the middle.

Last year my total car costs (inc. the repairs above and all petrol costs) were £4,800, as follows (approx.):

AA breakdown service £235
petrol £800
Insurance £200
Tax £200
Repairs £3,500
depreciation: Minimal (only cost £2,400 5 years ago)

- I think the big uncertainty with cars is potential repairs, and the other big cost of course is purchase price. I reckong, however, you can buy a decent, reliable little car with low insurance and low repair costs for < £3,000, easily (e.g., Vauxhall Astra or Corsa). If it lasts you 5 years and you then diitch it for next to nothing, then the purchase costs you £600 a year.

So overall, if you are lucky enough not to buy a complete lemon and don't want a fancy car, I reckon it would cost you about £2,000 a year or less to run a car. Unlike the old days when cars constantly needed tinkering with and went rusty in the blink of an eye, these days they are mostly very reliable and don't rust. I have NEVER (!) washed my car in 5 years and the rust on the back hatch is hardly any worse than when I first bought it.
So what are rental rates like?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
So what are rental rates like?
Sorry, no idea as I've never needed to rent a car in the UK (for obvious reasons) - but you can probably get some figures online. If you are not a car owner/insured, then it will be more expensive because you will have to buy insurance.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple
of times a month. It can be done, it just is harder when your older.

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jan 16th 2011 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Sheltered Housing is indeed an option but remember: small island, lots of people. We've been on the waiting list since 7 June 2010 and nothing's come through yet.

Also, most Sheltered Housing schemes (apart from Housing 21) require that you be at least 60 years old. So if, like me, you are under age 60, your choice is limited to Housing 21 properties. Edited to add: I see that Anchor has the 55 yr. age rule as well.

£43.00/week is amazing and I've not looked at where that location would be but the properties I've seen - and I've looked at hundreds and hundreds in Greater London and all the way down to Hampshire, Wiltshire, Devon, etc. - I've never seen any lower than £100/week and that is not including the service charge which most places have and which can run around £20-30/month extra.

So again, it's an option but will probably take you much longer to get into than private rental.
Yes agreed there is indeed a waiting list but for somebody like Wind (and Rosie) who have no particular ties to one place that was a list of current vacancies.

The cheaper rents are not going to be in the south, more likely the north where living is cheaper.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:53 pm
Ping-ponger

Great news - congratulations!

Will you look for somewhere closer to live? That's a long commute, twice a day. Who will look after Wee Mac during the day?

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
OK trotty we buy nice big cans of Ambrosia custard from Iceland and they are two cans for £1 --- also we buy cans of Ambrosia devon Creamed Rice same price 2 for a pound,
Rodney.
PS the scones here are great at the co-op 8 in a pack £1 ----- bit of jam & butter Hmmmm yum yum
Iceland is fantastic for tinned goods and bread and biscuits and stuff, SOME of their frozen food is good, some is awful.

You can get a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidney pie in there for £1.00, oh I do love them.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

AMAZING ! well done you
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Oh Peigi, this is JUST SUCH FANTASTIC news, I am soooo happy for you, you have done the hard yards, now the end is in sight. How strange you had a day off just when they wanted you for an interview, like all the stars were aligned or something.

VERY WELL DONE, I think 2011 is going to be a very, very good year for you.

That was lovely to hear about you and your children in the Yellow Banana Wagon, you are one amazing woman.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations..well done..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.