Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hahahaaha A Skyline. Oh boy thats all you need, they've been popular HOT cars for years, maybe you dont really need one, they are Fast and Very Expensive, maybe you could find an old one cheap in the UK as they were grey market cars, more recently sold in America as the GT-R...
This is what I would be looking for if I were a 20 something young man!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Linda, you do your family research, too? I was just saying to my half-ssiter in England the other day how much fun it would be to drive (and/or take the train) all over the south of England looking for our ancestors' former homes and grave sites and to retrace their steps. What an adventure!
It all started one snowy winter (2008). I just started poking around online. Had no idea what I was doing and before you know it I was hooked. I ended up finding long-lost family and going back in 2009 for a family reunion. A couple of my great aunts had done a lot of research too. (My Great Great Grandmother was Welsh, born in Welshpool - member of the MBTTUK Welsh Club ).
Anyway, the family I found - my "Uncle" (actually Father's cousin) Philip, who was raised by my Grandmother along with my father, had not seen me since I was 4 years old. He drove me all over Worcestershire and showed me all the places of my ancestors - my Great Grandfather's strawberry fields, asparagus fields and Plum orchards, the cottage where they lived, all the houses in Evesham where family members lived, the graves at the little church in Norton, and on and on. We travelled through Wales where he was a sheep-farmer and his son (my cousin) is chief warden at Dynefwr Castle in Llandeilo. Two of my Grandmother's sisters took me to Worcester records office where we spent the entire day going through records. All of them were christened, married and buried at All Saints & St Lawrence in Evesham. It was a fantastic journey. I feel very close to the Grove side of my family. All growers, gardeners and seedsmen.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I remember my UK driving test intimately.... hill start, 3-point turn, 5-point turn, reverse around a corner never getting more than 1' from the curb, etc. I was 16 years old.
I phoned DVLA Swansea today about my licence and they have no record (they transferred records in 1973 and I left England in 1970) so I shall be stuck with a licence for an automatic . I tried to push it, saying I think it is unfair that I should have to re-take a test that I had already passed but the best I can do is to write a letter when I transfer my Canadian licence.
It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I have driven a standard for 46 years! I suppose governments everywhere have there little inequities .
Not one to give up easily, I am thinking about other things I can do. I think I shall write a letter to DVLA management with proof that both vehicles I drive are standards. I shall also check a couple of boxes of old papers I have in storage downstairs but I am pretty certain that licence is long gone.
If there is one piece of advice I would give to those leaving UK, it would be never say never and keep or photocopy all important documents and numbers, something I didn't do. I did however phone and get my NI number so I am feeling part way there .
Hi I did that also as I learned to drive in a manual driven car, at one time had my clas 1 with air ticket (former marriage, former life), but sadly it did not make any difference, except when it comes to purchasing a vehicle, more expensive.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
On one trip we went to Wales to do FR and went to the Welsh National Libruary.

In a village church graveyard we found headstones and one had been spruced up which was spooky because it means someone else, we think, is doing FR on our family.

FYI in Wales with so many people with the same last name people would be referred to by the name of the farm that they farmed. For example my dads cousins name was Jimmy Cline but his real last name was Davis. Davis was the name of so many people in that area.
My G_G_GM was Margaret Davis, and I can't find anything on her
But I will
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

In a village church graveyard we found headstones and one had been spruced up which was spooky because it means someone else, we think, is doing FR on our family.

FYI in Wales with so many people with the same last name people would be referred to by the name of the farm that they farmed. For example my dads cousins name was Jimmy Cline but his real last name was Davis. Davis was the name of so many people in that area.
Hey... maybe we're related . What area?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

This is a really good site that outlines benefits available when you are over 60. I like the winter fuel payment and the Christmas bonus .

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...hristmas_bonus
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really good site that outlines benefits available when you are over 60. I like the winter fuel payment and the Christmas bonus .

My mother uses her winter fuel bonus towards her overseas holiday usually to Spain every January. She goes for 4-6 weeks to get away from the UK winter and she says it is cheaper to do that than to pay the heating bill (though she has been known to exaggerate LOL!!)

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 21st 2011 at 10:19 am.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hey... maybe we're related . What area?
Aberayron, just below Aberystwth.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I read this. You are losing money staying here.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:01 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

I have been putting my updates in this section. I didn't realise there was an update section especially for, well, updates!!!

So, should I ask the mods to remove my updates and continue posting over there? Waddya think peeps?!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:02 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
"THE LADY" magazine, OK it's old (02/02/2010) but howsabout these ads for those who have no idea of how they will manage or where they will end up..........EXCELLENT HOUSEKEEPER/Nanny required for family in Holland Park. Must be very loving and have impeccable standards for care of 2 yr old boy. Live-in with willingness to travel frequently. Passport holder essential. £1800 net p/m. Please apply with CV and references. FATHER OF THREE children (and fantastic dog) looking for a full time live in housekeeper. Jobs include cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing, dog walking and general household maintenance. Experience is essential, references necessary and a driving licence will be looked on favourably. £400 per week before tax. COTSWOLD ESTATE requires one and a half gardeners/maintenance. 2 bed cottage inc. FREE ACCOMMODATION DORSET For part time help with horses (no riding) garden/grass, general duties. No housework (). Non smokers. No children/pets. JERSEY Experienced live-in housekeeper/cook required for a lovely family with 2 young children and a baby on the way. Hands on care of 5 bedroom open plan house, laundry and some dog walking. Must be confident with babies and an animal lover. To cook simple family meals. 1 bedroom flat with own entrance as accommodation. Mon-Fri 7am to 6pm with time off during the day. £500 gross per week. Driver essential. Start ASAP. Dependent upon what you want, how hard can these jobs be??

I love The Lady. Comes out weekly and is always over-flowing with interesting and unique jobs.

Editor is the sister of London's Mayor Boris Johnson. Mad as a hatter but I adore him.

I think you can view the magazine online for a £1/issue or something like that: http://www.lady.co.uk/ but the website itself is nice, as well.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You still find that, they are identified by occupation or another name, we had a John the milk and John the post, and my Step father was John Em. There was also Dan the Milk.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I've always loved growing things even though everyone in my immediate family, including grandparents, hated gardening. When we started doing family history, it became clear where I got it from. Both sides of my dad's family were farmers. One side in Ireland and one in Yorkshire.

My dad's family were an interesting lot - farmers in Ireland who lost everything in the potato famine and moved to York where they lived in the worst slum conditions imaginable. It must have been so awful to lose so much. Most of my GGG grandfather's sons went off the rails (I found reports of them in the local York papers) but one got a union job in the glassworks and bought his family a little terraced house. That was my GG grandfather. His son became an errand boy in a retail store, learned all he could, and when he was 25, he opened his own bakery. That was my G grandfather.

That union job changed everything for my family. It's amazing to think how far we've come.
Sally, I find the details of family history so interesting. It is amazing how much is passed down genetically. We are very fortunate in the UK that we can trace our families so far back.
The other side of my family, the Holdcrofts, are many generations from the Potteries. My Grandfather started off as a pit-boy at Whitfield Colliery, in Stoke. The miners rarely saw daylight and he lobbied for better conditions eventually getting a scholarship to Ruskin College, Oxford University and then becoming Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent. He used a lot of his own money to build cottages for the poor and was a director of Port Vale, helping to obtain funding for their new ground in Burslem. At one point he had a meeting with Lord Asquith and hoped to receive some funding toward the new grounds so had a Spode coffee service made for him. He didn't give as much as a penny! It is still talked about in my family to this day. Even my ageing aunts are staunch Vale supporters and it is considered sacrilege in our family to be a Stoke supporter, as my cousin Geoff is. My uncle was production manager at Mintons, then Royal Doulton when they bought out Mintons so I have had a couple of tours of the factories. It is a trait of my family that we always turn over a saucer or plate to see where it was made.
That side of the family are still all resident in the Potteries.

Last edited by bandrui; Mar 21st 2011 at 9:52 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
I have been putting my updates in this section. I didn't realise there was an update section especially for, well, updates!!!

So, should I ask the mods to remove my updates and continue posting over there? Waddya think peeps?!
Seems fine here HSG . This seems to be a catchall section where anything and everything re UK is discussed .
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some of our group are slacking off.
People we haven't heard from for a few days:
celticspirit
easterndawn
Rod
Jackie
Jackie
and Jackie

Some of them have checked in but not today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.